• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • speedywillie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Fishers, IN
    I'm looking to by my first revolver and online seems to be the best way to find what I'm looking for used or slightly used.

1) what website would you recommend?
    2) are there rules/laws for buying and selling?

I've found armslist to have many guns, but most are out of state an would require transaction without ever meeting other person or havin to pay before shipping. Gunbroker is another option.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gunbroker is a safer bet. Not without its blemishes. Most transactions are perfect. Keep in mind the photo of the gun you buy is not always the gun you get exactly.

You'll need to find an FFL first to see what they charge for a transfer, and if they have ever received from Gunbroker before.

Gunbroker has all of the rules linked on the front page of their website.

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    I would never buy a gun without handling it at least. Go to some local gun shows then shop around at the LGS's for availability, then look online. After the transfer fee, shipping cost, and the time to fax or email the FFL info it ends up not being worth it.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    I bought a Metro Arms 1911 two weeks ago on armslist. FTF pickup. Beautiful piece, never fired, except at factory. Shop around some, and be careful. As they say , let the buyer beware.

Also just type in Indiana armslist on Google. Then you get only Indiana arms on your page.

speedywillie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Fishers, IN
    I've found the 686 and 686+ locally for $800. After tax, the cost would be in the neighborhood of $850 with taxes. I can get the same gun online used for under $600, but will cost me around $40 for shipping and $35 for local club transfer fee. Finding seller in Indiana would be the key. If in Indiana do I still need to use an FFL?

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    If its FTF you do not need a FFL transfer unless the seller requires it. It they are shipping the item it has to go through a FFL.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    All of mine are on online, even my very first one.

What I did was I went to a LGS who's items are marked up so high that my head explodes. I checked the FA, handled it, just shook my head at the price and I left.

I found one online that was $300 cheaper from that store.

Icejon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    I would prefer to shop in person at least to get a sense of what I want. If you want a 686 for example, you could find them in pawn shops since they are pretty common. Online, you would have to pay your FFL a transfer fee. In my area the transfer fee is aroun d $150. We also have to pay 9.75% "use" tax to the city for FFL transfers.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I would prefer to shop in person at least to get a sense of what I want. If you want a 686 for example, you could find them in pawn shops since they are pretty common. Online, you would have to pay your FFL a transfer fee. In my area the transfer fee is aroun d $150. We also have to pay 9.75% "use" tax to the city for FFL transfers.
    IF I were you - and wanted to transfer a firearm, I would look at the listing of dealers on the Gunbroker web site. I'm quite sure you can find one within 20 to 50 mile out of your "city" that would do the transfer for $25 ~ $30 and no tax. You can use any FFL in the state of Indiana. I would drive 100 mile round trip to save $125, and probably enjoy looking at the GS doing the transfer!

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I don't know of too many FFL holders charging a 150 dollar transfer fee. Really don't want to know one LOL. I am certain you can do much better just about any where. The key is to take your time do your research. Good deals can be had, you need to weed out the junk in the market today.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    ...go to your favorite local gun shop, and START A RELATIONSHIP with them.
    Let's keep our local guys in business. Plus, they just might have several choices to feel and fit and tell you the in's and out's of the caliber or working of the iron you are interested in.
    YMMV

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

Have the transfer done in another city. $25 is the highest I have paid for a FFL transfer.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    Go to a local gun shop. Go to a gun show. Take cash, buy from an individual after going over the piece. Take a friend along who knows more if you have issues.

After you get over 50 you can also buy via INGO.

I LOVE buying used! You can hold it, get it for a lower price, and see how well the piece has held up over the years.

What type are you thinking about? I like SAA so Ruger, JP Sauer and Sohn, Hawes is not too bad, Colt, etc. DA revolvers are not too bad either! Much more reliable than a semi-auto.

Top Bottom