Should I build my Remington 597 or replace it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    So I'm thinking about building myself a new toy but not sure which way to go. I want it to be 22lr and tactical looking some thing similar to a AR with rails so I could swap out a light, grip or what every. I want something I can use for years and hand down to my kids or grandkids.

I own a Remington 597 heavy barrel what will be a good starting platform. Could buy a AR style stock, add a red dot sight, grab a few 25 round mags and call it done. The total will be about $200 so not real bad on the wallet. But I'm not sure about the magazines so for the 597. I hear the older mags some times give you trouble, but some places are saying those problems have been fixed on the newer mags.

or I could buy a Ruger 10/22 and trick it out the same way costing will go up to $500.

So my question is is the Ruger worth it? Or should I just use the difference to buy another 597 and trick it out too?
    i know the Ruger has more choices but I know what I want and most of the options I don't like.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The 597 is still new I picked it up a few months ago but with the weather and ammo crap I haven't been to the range with it yet. I have another 597 that shoots great so I sure this one will also.

The M&P looks great but if I'm spending that much money why not just get a true AR with a 22lr upper?

I guess that answers my question also. If I'm spending $500 to get the Ruger like I want why not just buy the AR, but for $200 I can fix up the Remington it would be a lot cheaper.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have never been able to bring myself to just toss my 597 in the river. Not yet anyway.

I have the OEM 2nd gen mags that were supposedly "good to go" and even even bought more that were "great" and 100% of them are ****. The gun shoots great groups, iron sights are great and ergonomics are great. I got it dirt cheap, like $115 back in 05-07 time frame. A friend bought one in 2010-11 and last year he finally got his up and running, I am not sure if his was new or used but he basically upgraded the extractor and went to expensive aftermarket mags. That fits his Anal Retentive Engineer personality.

Me, if a gun is not reliable 99.95% of the time, its for sale, trade, a future lamp or wall decoration. Even a toy needs to run to be fun. If a gun won't run on OEM mags, I hate it. I did all the things called for on the gun before I ever shot it, but as soon as the mags had some use on them, the party was over. I would say under 1000 rounds total.

The quality on this gun just seems to be too hit and miss, and I am an old school Remington fan, but I will never buy a .22lr product of theirs again. If yours runs to a level you consider acceptable, have at it but I would verify what that is first before I invested further in it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So I'm thinking about building myself a new toy but not sure which way to go. I want it to be 22lr and tactical looking some thing similar to a AR with rails so I could swap out a light, grip or what every. I want something I can use for years and hand down to my kids or grandkids.

Wait, you want something to hand down to your yet unborn (presumably) grandchildren, and you think a tacticool .22 rifle is that item?

:scratch:

The Rem 597 is what I consider an "also ran" competitor in the .22LR rifle market. That doesn't mean it's not good, but it's not a great platform. It's from the same people that gave us the 522 Viper.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Won mine in a raffle! Not real impressed
    with the accuracy but it has functioned fine. Thinking of tweaking it if it ever warms up and I can find so e ammo at Wally World.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    My dad gave his to my son a few years ago and it took me a few tries but cleaned and polished now it feeds everything. I'm expecting the same out of my new one. Did find out the fake muzzle break won't fit the heavy barrel so need to find a replacement if I want one

Top Bottom