should felons be able to purchase weapons??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Considering that it may be nearly impossible to live through an entire day without unintentionally or accidentally commit a felony given the preponderance of laws on the record; I would tend to think that restriction should be limited to those who have shown either a clear and present danger to others or previously committed an act of violence toward another. This is to say, it is entirely to easy to be a felon without intending malice or harm.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Considering that it may be nearly impossible to live through an entire day without unintentionally or accidentally commit a felony given the preponderance of laws on the record; I would tend to think that restriction should be limited to those who have shown either a clear and present danger to others or previously committed an act of violence toward another. This is to say, it is entirely to easy to be a felon without intending malice or harm.
    Well written.

hoosierbulldog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Brownsburg
    a felon could use the weapon for security reason or simple things such as hunting?

Maybe if it was a "non-violent" felony only. I don't think that they should be allowed to purchase the moment that they walk out of prison, there should be a fairly large grace period to make sure they keep themselves out of trouble. :twocents:

jzukjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    crawfordsville
    i believe that every person who has served his/her time should be allowed to an extent. that being said my "extent" would be after 25 years or what not would you want a murderer carrying next to you with your kids with you? not me! so im half and half i guess.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Quick question, what part of "shall not be infringed" is confusing?

^This

no felon should own a weapon. if they didnt it would make my job alot easier.

They can't right now and yet some do so the law as it stands now is meaningless anyways. Laws can not, nor will they every stop mankind from doing something.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    When someon commits certian crimes against a child they lose their right to live near a school.
    Which is also wrong, at least the way they implemented it.

If someone has committed, say, child molesting, I am of the opinion that that person should never again see sunlight other than through bars, while awaiting a date with a needle. That said, however, as currently implemented, some of those laws specify that an ex-con of that type cannot live within 1000 feet of a school, park, etc. So what happens? They live 1001 feet away, or they live farther and drive to where their intended victims are, which not only provides a quick getaway, it also provides a place to hide the child on the way to wherever the crime will happen, or, depending on the vehicle used, a place to commit the crime itself (motor home, van, etc.) Conversely, those who might have committed a crime, say, statutory rape, under an old version of the law (as an 18 yr old HS senior with his 16 yr old HS sophomore girlfriend,for example) now is told at age 40 that the home he's paid on for the last 15 years, he can no longer live in because a new law was passed. He hasn't committed any crimes since his arrest over 20 years earlier and under current law, what he did then wouldn't even have been a crime, but yet he is snared in that same net.

You want to prevent child molestation, teach the intended victims to not be victims (no, I'm not blaming them, I'm saying that they are not properly educated to resist and prevent those crimes) Punish the criminals when they are caught with some penalty so terrible, they don't want to risk suffering it, but this dumb 1000 foot rule ain't doin' the job, IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

Rsmith

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Morgan County
    I agree with most of what you had to say. Back to the begining, I posted felons should not have the right to buy a gun just as felons lose other rights already. Then I was asked to give an exmaple of such loss of rights.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Most areas they lose the right to vote.

This is a common misconception. Virtually no states outright bar felons from voting any longer. Thirty Eight States Automatically restore a felon's right to vote after compltion of their sentence. The term "completion of their sentence" varies conditionally. Some states permit felons to register to vote immediately after their release from prison. Others require completion of probation or parole, and others still require the payment of all fines and restitutions before the offender may reregister. Of the twelve states which do not automatically restore rights, all of them have some mechanism for a felon to petition for reenfranchisement. Of these states some declare certain offenses a lifetime bar. Your own State allows felons to register to vote immediately upon their release from prison.

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]IC 3-7-13-4
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    Disfranchisement of prisoners
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][/FONT][/FONT]
    Sec. 4. (a) A person who is:

(1) convicted of a crime; and

(2) imprisoned following conviction;

is deprived of the right of suffrage by the general assembly pursuant

to Article 2, Section 8 of the Constitution of the State of Indiana.

(b) A person described in subsection (a) is ineligible to register

under this article during the period that the person is:

(1) imprisoned; or

(2) otherwise subject to lawful detention.
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]As added by P.L.12-1995, SEC.22.
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]IC 3-7-13-5
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    Restoration of right to vote
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    Sec. 5. A person described in section 4 of this chapter who is

otherwise qualified to register under this article is eligible to register

when the person is no longer:

(1) imprisoned; or

(2) otherwise subject to lawful detention.
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]
    As added by P.L.12-1995, SEC.22. Amended by P.L.195-2003,

SEC.1; P.L.118-2007, SEC.1.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Top Bottom