Should a moderator be held to a higher standard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should a moderator be held to a “higher standard” when it comes to the classifie

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If you get upset because somebody backed out of a "deal" even though nothing was exchanged you have other issues. .

Actually no. If you and another party have agreed on terms and are waiting to meet, both of you have resources tied up at that point and those resources are not available for other purposes. To that end, "something" has been exchanged and this is a recognized legal principle which is why in situations with much larger stakes remedies are often pursued. Just that here the remedies are so small as to not be worth pursuing.

It has nothing to do with "being upset." I've had the exact scenario happen to me several times. It never upset me, but it did mark for me who could not be relied upon to hold up their part of a deal.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Use to be but...read above post. I've seen enough to know a word is not what it use to be...sad actually. However, I wouldn't go so far in saying that the person backing out of the deal has lower standards when it comes to that and also not saying I may or may not ignore the person the next time they offer a deal.

There's no reason you, I, the OP, or anyone should lower our respective standards just because the rest of the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Actually no. If you and another party have agreed on terms and are waiting to meet, both of you have resources tied up at that point and those resources are not available for other purposes. To that end, "something" has been exchanged and this is a recognized legal principle which is why in situations with much larger stakes remedies are often pursued. Just that here the remedies are so small as to not be worth pursuing.

It has nothing to do with "being upset." I've had the exact scenario happen to me several times. It never upset me, but it did mark for me who could not be relied upon to hold up their part of a deal.

We'll after doing some research I will apologize. Reading about contracts and legal terms (:puke:) I was wrong and will admit it. The buyer who contacted you under the assumption you had price/time/place worked out that is a legal contract. :ingo:

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    If I say I'm going to buy something/sell something and I have an agreement with someone, I stand by my word. I would expect the same level of integrity from anyone.

That's basic contract law, and that's what used to be considered a fundamental quality of being a stand-up person with integrity.

Good post. It used to be very taboo to back out of a deal once agreed upon. Apparently not so much anymore...

But again, we aren't privy to both sides of this situation and can only go on what you are saying. If the meet up was just to look at the gun and not necessarily a buy, then that changes matters.

Either way, it tells you about future deals with this person for sure.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    Did he say "I'll take it" or did he state he wanted to see it in person before he decided?

I had item for sale/trade he offered me a trade item, I replied with what I believed the terms he was offering and what I was offering, he confirmed that everything was correct in the trade and a deal was made.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    We'll after doing some research I will apologize. Reading about contracts and legal terms (:puke:) I was wrong and will admit it. The buyer who contacted you under the assumption you had price/time/place worked out that is a legal contract. :ingo:

I had a couple of semesters of business law as part of my business coursework, a large part of that was contract law *yawn*, but it's come in handy on many occasions.

spark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011

Oh thank god you posted this and and I read through this whole thing. My face was turning red reading all of the ignorance in this thread (not just yours). Often times we talk about everyone outside of this board that is ignorant, but the first few people who posted here need to check themselves, and their morals.

Once acceptance of terms is made, both parties need to come through on their end. Both parties pay/trade the deal is over.

Would like to see a few more sorrys in here.

Edit: by the way can anyone point me to case law, state or federal laws that can help explain this to people. We could then potentially sticky it. JMiller, what did you find exactly?

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    If the terms were settled, and meeting date set, a deal was made, period. Buyer should have continued with the established terms. Give the "mod" a -1 and move on.

Now, if part of the terms of the deal included a visual inspection of the item before completion of the transaction, then, IMHO that leaves the item open for the sellar to keep item up for sale, as well as, giving the buyer the freedom to back out if he/she finds an item that meets their needs in the interim. Reason being, again IMHO, the terms are not completely settled.

:twocents:

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I don't know who you are referring to, but we are just regular people who do NOT get paid for this thankless job. We spend hours on here every single day doing a lot of babysitting and actually work such as moving threads around, cleaning up the classifieds, etc. So trying to tell us that we should be held to a higher standard when it comes to certain issues that don't pertain to moderating is silly.

Now I don't think anyone should expect anyone else to pay for something sight unseen even with an "I'll take it". I would hope that people would think it was just an understanding that they would take it upon visual inspection. Then, what would you do if so and so said they would take it (even if they said upon visual inspection) and you both drove to meet each other and then he decided that he didn't want it. (maybe he actually didn't like it after seeing it, or maybe he had a better offer somewhere else). It seems to me that whoever it was did nothing wrong. They were polite enough to let you know beforehand that they found a better offer and didn't meet you somewhere and waste both of your time.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'm confused. Is the higher standard that is being spoke of a requirement to follow through with the deal because he's a mod? But you'd let a non-mod off the hook? Isn't the standard the standard, regardless of member status?

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    Now, if part of the terms of the deal included a visual inspection of the item before completion of the transaction, then, IMHO that leaves the item open for the sellar to keep item up for sale, as well as, giving the buyer the freedom to back out if he/she finds an item that meets their needs in the interim. Reason being, again IMHO, the terms are not completely settled.

I couldn't agree with you more. If at any time the terms where to inspect the item then I would have be ok with the backing out, all the flaws were addressed about item and all questions were answered about the item.
    There was no pending visual inspection. He knew what he was getting and I knew what I was getting.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    If terms and location were set, and no "pending inspection" or other clause was specified, then a deal was made and should have been followed through on and honored by both parties. Just my :twocents:. A person's word being worth what they make it worth, just keep that in mind. Them being a mod has nothing to do with it, IMO.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Oh thank god you posted this and and I read through this whole thing. My face was turning red reading all of the ignorance in this thread (not just yours). Often times we talk about everyone outside of this board that is ignorant, but the first few people who posted here need to check themselves, and their morals.

Once acceptance of terms is made, both parties need to come through on their end. Both parties pay/trade the deal is over.

Would like to see a few more sorrys in here.

Being wrong isn't bad ignoring the truth in the presense of facts is.

I'm confused. Is the higher standard that is being spoke of a requirement to follow through with the deal because he's a mod? But you'd let a non-mod off the hook? Isn't the standard the standard, regardless of member status?

I don't think the issue is a higher standard because one still hasn't defined "higher". The problem is that upon the contract one backed out. It's not something that necisarrily makes them bad.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As far as backing out of an agreed upon transaction for a better deal being right or wrong is personal opinion. I fully understand things happen and sometimes people have to back out. This person at least was nice enough to give you notice and an explanation. Some people would just not show up.

As far as a higher standard goes, the mods are people just like us and I don't think should be handled any different. The only higher standard I see appropriate are when it comes to following the rules. Since they are the ones that enforce the rules I think it is only right that they too follow them fully. In this case they did not break any rules.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    My personal opinion is that this scenario is a purely private sale, which has nothing to do with "who" that person represents.
    In addition, getting a phone call saying he/she found a better deal is courteous. Business is business.

^This. I've dealt with two mods and other than both of them insisting I show up in a tuxedo, the deals have been fine.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I guess you can call it a tuxedo...

chris-farley-chippendales.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom