• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    If its not too late for a lady to chime in....I have been shooting since February 2011 (so relatively new, if even excessively addicted and now well versed in superb shot placement....) I just snatched up a new, Mossberg 930 special purpose extreme, 18.5" barrel, 7+1 semi-auto. I definitely prefer semi-auto because as others have mentioned....screw the sound of racking that shell. My shotty would have one in the chamber under my bed--prior to a BG coming in. It takes extra (precious) time in a defensive situation and gives away a tactical advantage.

Let's face it, we are not here to fire warning shots....that's what the racking sound is in a way. The sight of a girl with a big ass shot gun, in and of itself, is terrifying enough. She wouldn't have to rack it to prove she means business.

Also, my reason for choosing semi-auto is twofold: 1) I was out shooting clays (not in a high stress, defensive situation) and I forgot to rack the pump...ummm, lol! 2) As a practiced handgun shooter, I am used to just pulling the trigger and BANG. I want that on my shotgun in a defensive situation. I want to just pull that damned trigger and feel the satisfying kick of recoil...I know my target will be neutralized.
    Just my :twocents: as a scrawny girl....I'm not pushing the Mossy 930, I'm just pushing semi-auto. (I also have a 25" barrel semi-auto remy 1100...)
    No you are not to late, I have got a couple of months to decide what I am putting in the house. Your opinion is more than welcome.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    If its not too late for a lady to chime in....I have been shooting since February 2011 (so relatively new, if even excessively addicted and now well versed in superb shot placement....) I just snatched up a new, Mossberg 930 special purpose extreme, 18.5" barrel, 7+1 semi-auto. I definitely prefer semi-auto because as others have mentioned....screw the sound of racking that shell. My shotty would have one in the chamber under my bed--prior to a BG coming in. It takes extra (precious) time in a defensive situation and gives away a tactical advantage.

Let's face it, we are not here to fire warning shots....that's what the racking sound is in a way. The sight of a girl with a big ass shot gun, in and of itself, is terrifying enough. She wouldn't have to rack it to prove she means business.

Also, my reason for choosing semi-auto is twofold: 1) I was out shooting clays (not in a high stress, defensive situation) and I forgot to rack the pump...ummm, lol! 2) As a practiced handgun shooter, I am used to just pulling the trigger and BANG. I want that on my shotgun in a defensive situation. I want to just pull that damned trigger and feel the satisfying kick of recoil...I know my target will be neutralized.
    Just my :twocents: as a scrawny girl....I'm not pushing the Mossy 930, I'm just pushing semi-auto. (I also have a 25" barrel semi-auto remy 1100...)

I find nothing to disagree with here. Well said!

I have heard more than few times from seasoned instructors that the semi-auto shotty is preferred over the pump for the novice shooter.

Top Bottom