Shotgun vs Muzzleloader....what would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, i have been hunting ML season only for several years, just as a getaway with my dad. I put in for a few draws this year, and got 11/27 at Atterbury, and 11/29-30 at Pokagon. Here is my dilemma....

I know my ML well. it's a T/C Triumph with Nikon Omega scope, I am comfortable shooting out to about 150 with it. Since I will be hunting from a climber (first season with that as well), it won't be as easy to reload.

Should I consider using my 12ga Mossy 500 instead? it is 100% a turkey gun now, so I would need to put a slug barrel, scope, etc. on it and find a good slug.

Is it worth the time and expense to use the shotgun over the ML?

I would especially like to hear from those who have experience on public hunts like these...

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Ok, i have been hunting ML season only for several years, just as a getaway with my dad. I put in for a few draws this year, and got 11/27 at Atterbury, and 11/29-30 at Pokagon. Here is my dilemma....

I know my ML well. it's a T/C Triumph with Nikon Omega scope, I am comfortable shooting out to about 150 with it. Since I will be hunting from a climber (first season with that as well), it won't be as easy to reload.

Should I consider using my 12ga Mossy 500 instead?
    No

it is 100% a turkey gun now, so I would need to put a slug barrel, scope, etc. on it and find a good slug.
    Wasted money

Is it worth the time and expense to use the shotgun over the ML?
    No

I would especially like to hear from those who have experience on public hunts like these...

I've never hunted any of the draw hunts but I hunt a lot of public ground and I know the people who run one of those park hunts. I don't see what difference it would make to use a ML for those than it would for any thing else.

How many deer can you drag at once? Reload back at the truck each time you drag one back if reloading is the big problem here.

You are already carrying a tree stand and a gun, I think a deer to drag and you'll have more than you can handle at once with that.

Last edited:

jzukjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    crawfordsville
    i would just stick with the muzz if i were you. simply just because youre more comfortable with it. however, the reloading could be an issue. stands are very easy to shoot out of, so if youre as comfortable as you say you are then you shouldn't have a problem.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    You should also factor in the price of slugs as you learn which your gun likes. If you go rifled barrel, you could spend up to 50 bucks initially trying 2-3 different brands. My 870 shot SST and Winchesters horribly, 4-5 inch groups.

I tried Remingtons and was down under 2 inches.

I would just stick with your ML. I was using a .44 mag and sold it since I only get out 2 days during gun. Opted to pickup a TC Omega for gun/muzzy season.

Like Jack said, you should only need one shot at a time. Even if you need a follow up, if you have a speed loader ready with pellets your should be able to load fairly quick.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I would stay with the muzzleloader if for one other reason. You can hunt muzzleloader and shotgun season with a muzzleloader. A climber, gives enough platform for my daughter and son in law to shoot their bows and muzzleloaders. I have used their climbers for the fun of it, have permanent stands all over the farm so don't have a climber because of that reason. I would stay with what you are familiar and successful with. Why ruin a good turkey gun? By the time you buy the slug barrel and a scope, probably could buy a great used slug gun already set up. Whatever you decide, have fun and be safe! oh and shoot a deer!

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Unless you just feel like spending money stick with the ML. Make the first shot count! If going the shotgun route I would get rifled and cantilevered barrel and a decent scope...all of which adds up to a decent amount of money.

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    I agree with everyone. Unless you just want to spend more money on a shotgun set-up, and spend more money to shoot it, stick with the muzzleloader. I choose it over any other firearm because it's cheap and fun to shoot, accurate out to longer ranges (typically), and promotes a more ethical hunt.

My biggest question is whether I think I can get away with hunting with the Renegade in a drizzle or if I should pull out the Encore 209x50. ;)

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I like my shotgun, but I got a friend with a hawkins 50 cal ML and that is a nice deer gun!

You shot your friend? :eek:

In all seriousness, hunt with the muzzy. One gun for the whole season. You don't need follow up shots if you hit what you are aiming at and most of the time if you miss you will just have a white tail receding into the distance so you won't have a clean follow up shot anyway.

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    I have hunted at Atterbury for the past 5 years. Depending on where you pick(what section) the Triumph might be better. The areas I have hunted are limited in distance. If you wound a deer and it runs off, don't be surprised to here someone else shoot a few seconds later. I usually take my Mossberg 500 with me. I shoot a real heavy slug, sacrifice some distance, so I can get that stopping power. If you haven't been there before, the ravenes are deep, and steep. VERY DEEP. Its just easier for me to pack my shotgun at 3:00 in the morning. Less to worry about in the dark, because you will be released to your area before 5:30 and sit in the dark for 2 1/2 hours.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I agree with everyone. Unless you just want to spend more money on a shotgun set-up, and spend more money to shoot it, stick with the muzzleloader. I choose it over any other firearm because it's cheap and fun to shoot, accurate out to longer ranges (typically), and promotes a more ethical hunt.

My biggest question is whether I think I can get away with hunting with the Renegade in a drizzle or if I should pull out the Encore 209x50. ;)

I hunted for years with a .54cal Renegade and have taken deer in the rain. I never had a misfire while hunting in the rain. There are a few things you can do to help this: Take a piece of cling wrap or any plastic and rubber band it around your barrel muzzle (this will keep the rain from going down your barrel)...it won't affect your accuracy when you shoot. I used a scope on my Renegade so seeing the front sight clearly was not a issue. If your using open sights you might be able to shorten the plastic to keep in the area between the muzzle and end of the sight, thus leaving the front of the sight open for a clear view.
    Also you can take a sandwich bag and cut it to fit over the hammer and cap area...you can use rubber bands to secure it...it's real easy and quick to rip that off when you need to take a shot. :twocents:

harleyrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Mooresville
    Shoot the ML. It's your best option for killing a deer since you're most comfortable with it. Reloading in a tree stand is not hard.

Good Luck and show some picts when you get that big one!

ETA: OOPS, looks like you already made your decision. The right choice!

HR

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i switched from shotgun to muzzleloader when i was about 13. i have not used a shotgun to deer hunt since. i cant think of a time i wish i had a shotgun since i started a muzzleloader

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    ML.

One shot, one kill...

If you miss you won't (ethically) get a second shot anyway. I've heard people unload a SG on a running deer before. I've even seen it once on a TV hunting show! :xmad:

Idiots. :rolleyes:

feriil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, even with the new sabot slugs a decent ML (and yours is) will be able to shoot a deer with a higher degree of accuracy than an SG if you get the chance for a long distance shot. I'd never take a shot at more than 125-150 with an SG, I'm confident with my CVA Accura I could take a deer to 200-250.

A shotgun sabot is made to imitate a real muzzleloader, why take the copy when you can have the original?

Top Bottom