• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tlcmbc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Woodburn, In.
    My wife wants to try deer hunting with me this year.
    did not want to spend alot till we see how she likes it so went to the Ft Wayne gun show today and found a 20 ga New England break open that she liked. Forgive me if this is a dumb question but, all it has is a tiny front bead sight, is there a simple way to add a rear sight and a better front sight? Hopefully something I can do because I dont want to hunt up a gunsmith because it is not an expensive gun and fit our budget. Thanks

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    Does the bead sight screw in? Looks like there are some replacement light pipe sights that will screw in where the bead sight is currently attached. I also found an XS sight that epoxies over the current bead sight.

If your shotgun has a ribbed barrel, it looks like there are some sights that clamp to the rib.

tohm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Lowell
    The ones that attach to the rib are your easies option and can be removed. Just make sure you measure the rib and buy the right set.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I killed my first dozen or so deer with a bead sighted NEF 12 ga.
    Is it ideal? Absolutely not.
    Do you have any real sight options for that barrel? No.
    Will it work? Yep, with practice and knowing your limitations of an ethical shot. Deer were killed for decades in this state by primarily bead sighted shotguns.
    Will she like shooting it enough to really practice very much? I don't know, but expect not. Light shotguns + slugs + small framed shooter = NO FUN

You can call H&R to see if they will fit a .357 or .44 barrel to it. If I recall it normally runs around $150 for a new barrel of your choice.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some folks have used Loctite Black Max and glued on sights with success.
    Gotta look at charts and figure out what front/rear sight combo you'll need (barrel profile, sight location etc).
    Then you put them on, and maybe it'll stay, maybe not. If not.........well hope you find where the detached pc went :laugh:
    Better IMHO to drill and tap the bbl at the rear, add a Weaver rail and slap on a reddot.
    Probably better and cheaper in the long run.
    IIRC local smith charges $35 to D&T, base is $5..........so then you're just left to find a reddot.

You might find an iron sighted H&R for about that same cost. Never know.

Top Bottom