• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Here's the deal. After shooting a couple 3 gun matches last year I've started getting gear ready for next year. My shell caddies came in this week and I just now had time to give them a run. Where should I be time wise loading? Or I guess I should say where should I WANT to be? What is an attainable time for practicing once or twice a week? I saw a guy on youtube shoot, load 8, shoot in 5.16 sec. After 2 boxes of shells, I'm somewhere in the 13.5 sec range for shoot, load 8, shoot. Averageing about 7-7.5 sec for a 4 shell reload. Seems like an eternity to me.

As a disclaimer I didn't go off the beep (iphone surefire shot timer app). I just went off of the split times for now, so actually I guess my times would be a little bit slower than I posted above. Where are you guys at with your loading? After only a couple of matches it seems like matches could and WILL be won or lost by just the shotgun loading.

Thanks guys!

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That 5.xx load for 8 was done by one of the world's best 3 gunners. Don't let the fact that you're nowhere near that yet (I'm not there yet either).

1 second per shell should be your goal. If you can pull that off consistently, you'll be at the top of the pile.

dodgetech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    West Lafayett, IN
    Wow 5.xx sec to shoot reload and shoot again very impressive but I think like others have said that is a guy on a PRO level and prolly does nothing all day except shoot and reload everyday.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I agree totally with the others statements but it gives you a goal to shoot for. No not everybody will be able to do what he does. but it is awsome to watch them.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've read/heard the one second per shell. I've not even shot a three gun match yet and just recently got me an 1100. Got some caddies last week and practiced a few times before hitting teh range Sunday. I was by myself and didn't have a timer, so I set the camera up on a tripod and recoded myself. It was the first time out with teh shotgun, so there were some bobbles on my part and some misunderstandings because I've never had an 1100 before.

Here's me:

YouTube - 1100 First outing.wmv

Here's the pro's:

YouTube - SSG Johnson and PFC Horner Pro Tip on Shotgun Reloads

Looks like I've got a lot of practicing to do!

Doug K

Oh and I"m dumping the sidesaddle. Great for a grab and go home defense shotgun, but they shells get in the way when loading from caddies!

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    deciding which reload method you use is half the issue, after that if you can get anywhere near 1 sec per shell, you are a bad bad man. id be thrilled to be in the 1.5 sec neighborhood. Shotgun stages are not won on the shooting but on the reloading.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    but they shells get in the way when loading from caddies!

Push the shells next to the loading port/EZ Loader into the loops a it further. They, then, won't interfere with weakhand loading from caddies. That's what I do and have no issues.

Also - point the index finger of your support hand at the target. And, when you dismount the gun to load, keep the stock tucked up into your armpit. It will have less travel to get back up on target.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I meant to try the index finger style. Most of my shotgunning has been at quail and rabbit when I was a kid. I neve have tried the index finger position, but have heard it makes the shotgun point more naturally.

I didn't realize how much i was dropping the butt until i wanted the video. The first shots you see ont eh vid are the first ones I've ever fired through this gun, so I've got a lot of shooting to do to get used to it. Hope to shoot it at ths month's FNS and get back to teh range with it a few more times soon.

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Out of State :(
    Daniel Horner with the AMU is an amazing shooter... I was lucky enough to take a class with him last year and learned a ton of tips and tricks to running the shotty more efficiently. IMO if you can shoot load 4 and shoot in under 5 seconds every time you load you'll be at the top of your game with the shotgun. That of course is assuming you hit your targets one for one :)

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm getting faster every day but one little mistake adds a TON of time! Thanks for the help guys I WILL get down to around the 1 sec mark at least in the safety of my back yard range thAt is. No telling how much time will be added when the first buzzer of the year goes off!

rz317

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2008
    Shotgun stages are not won on the shooting but on the reloading.

This statement has been repeated a million times, and there is truth to it. However it also means accuracy becomes of the utmost importantance, because you don't want to have to load any more shells on the clock than than is absolutely necesarry. There are often arrays where missing just 1 plate will require you to have to do an additional reload... when this happens, you can get passed like you're standing still.

RZ

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I meant to try the index finger style. Most of my shotgunning has been at quail and rabbit when I was a kid. I neve have tried the index finger position, but have heard it makes the shotgun point more naturally.

I didn't realize how much i was dropping the butt until i wanted the video. The first shots you see ont eh vid are the first ones I've ever fired through this gun, so I've got a lot of shooting to do to get used to it. Hope to shoot it at ths month's FNS and get back to teh range with it a few more times soon.
    The finger trick works very well but you have to change your grip a bit to do it. Bring your hand back some and lay the gun across your hand at an angle. From lower right corner or your palm out along your finger. You won't grip as hard you do now but you don't need to either.

Point your empty hand at a target with your palm turned up. That is how it goes on the gun. It is not great for a pump but came from clay shooting with other types of guns.

Move your caddies to the front of your belt.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Of the guys who are fast at a "roll and burn" (where you dismount the gun, turn it over, and load one at a time with your stronghand either from sidesaddles or an arm carrier), some actually have the stock on top of their shoulder after they turn it over. Among other things it helps stabilize the gun so it's not moving while you're trying to shuck shells into it.

PS The "burn" comes from what happens to your support hand sometimes after you roll the gun over and find that your hand is in contact with the barrel. heh.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    The finger trick works very well but you have to change your grip a bit to do it. Bring your hand back some and lay the gun across your hand at an angle. From lower right corner or your palm out along your finger. You won't grip as hard you do now but you don't need to either.

Point your empty hand at a target with your palm turned up. That is how it goes on the gun. It is not great for a pump but came from clay shooting with other types of guns.

Move your caddies to the front of your belt.

gotcha, tried it tonight at home and it does feel good. I actually gripped it farther forward and it felt more natural. I can see that helping trasition from target to target faster as well.

I'm looking for a deal on a competition belt right now. I was wearing them on my regular pant belt at the range so they had to be off to the side.

Thanks for the pointers; do you shoot much shotgun?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    gotcha, tried it tonight at home and it does feel good. I actually gripped it farther forward and it felt more natural. I can see that helping trasition from target to target faster as well.

I'm looking for a deal on a competition belt right now. I was wearing them on my regular pant belt at the range so they had to be off to the side.

Thanks for the pointers; do you shoot much shotgun?
    Not really but I do like them. I prefer Kel tec carbines. :laugh:

I use Galcos version of a wilderness belt, a plain Uncle Mikes duty belt or a shotgun ammo belt I had modified by the guy in Indy, Urban ERT. I had him beef up the front to hold a couple caddies and modify the shell loops.

Funny, last night I thought "Doug will figure out to move his hand forward after he grabs ahold of it." Check that video above, see where his finger is, that is not natural for a guy who has a lot of time on a pump. Also, age, injury and crunchy shoulders, elbows, wrist and fingers affect how each person can hold it comfortably.

On my only 1100 my finger is at 7 and my thumb at 9. On 20 gauge guns it will be more like 6:30 and the thumb still at 9. The only gun I can get my finger on 6 at is my M2 in 20 gauge.

The key is thumb and index finger on one side, other fingers on the other side, point your index finger at the target, put it where it feels natural to you. The guy above does that on his follow up shot if you stop the video as he pulls the trigger. scroll down good pics of the grip.

Tips for Improving Your Wingshooting

Steer the gun with your left, support it and manage recoil with your right and never tense up. On this exact issue with my GF, I turned into Mr. Miyagi and started tossing empty shells at her from her side / peripherial vision while she was taking up her stance at each station while practicing sporting clays. It strained our relationship for a few moments but it showed her how rigid she was in her upper body. She had to flex to duck incoming hulls and still hold the gun.

Shoulder mount is always most important and since you are use to recoil of a pump, don't get sloppy with mounting the 1100. Shoot some clays with the 1100 too. More gamers should do that but don't.

Last edited:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    If you are looking for a competition belt, call Shootersconnection.com and order a CR Speed. Dont waste your time looking for a better deal or a better belt, this is the end all, be all, as far as competition belts go. Otherwise, I vote Wilderness Tactical with the polymer insert.

Top Bottom