• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We didn't get to Atterbury until 4:10 (closes at 5) due to work and child care issues. By the time we made it to the rifle side I guess we were down to 5 mins left. I took 3 shots with it at 100y and was high-right with them all, but we were in a hurry and I wanted to feel the BOOM. I see why they are so popular. Bolt-action is a different feel than semi-auto and made me feel like part of history. Bravo for Mosins. No shoulder bruises but it's a bit stiff.

JCDPA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    What model Mosin did you shoot? Any mods to it, or all stock? Ammo load? Any issues in your short time at the range? Thank you! Inquiring minds need to know!

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    Which model was it? I also shot my first Mosin M44 at Atterbury on a 50yd lane, in rotation with a coupe other rifles. Did leave with a nice sore bruised shoulder, but it was worth it:D

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I think it was golden bear lacquer coated rounds. It's the 91/30, stock out of the box. It will be gifted so I just wanted tO prove it was safe. Despite my lack of accuracy I'm sure my smile was bigger than my grouping!

It was amazing to see the dirt go POOF behind the target compared to some other rounds. Mosin rounds are more expensive than AK but I could have shot 20 7.62x39 in the time I spent shooting 3 54r.

I'll be buying a spam can of surplus corrosive stuff
    For my own future nagant purchase :)

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Better keep it now. It is tested, and works. Easy to find another, do you really want to?

The creed of a Mosin owner:
    This is my Mosin, there are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me, it cannot be fired, without it: I cannot return home with a sore shoulder after firing. I promise to fire it true, and hit my target in the bullseye. I further promise to keep all the cosmolene out of the bolt, using gun oil only, and keep it clean for the next outing.

Last edited:

ductileiron98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    These Mosin's are tough and accurate rifles. As seen in this video, [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2M1hC4c0tc[/ame]

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I think it was golden bear lacquer coated rounds. It's the 91/30, stock out of the box. It will be gifted so I just wanted tO prove it was safe. Despite my lack of accuracy I'm sure my smile was bigger than my grouping!

It was amazing to see the dirt go POOF behind the target compared to some other rounds. Mosin rounds are more expensive than AK but I could have shot 20 7.62x39 in the time I spent shooting 3 54r.

I'll be buying a spam can of surplus corrosive stuff
    For my own future nagant purchase :)

Here is the best buy on the 7.62x54r I have found.

7.62x54R Bulgarian 7.62x54R FMJ (440 rds)  A54BUL

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    These Mosin's are tough and accurate rifles. As seen in this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2M1hC4c0tc

Sorry to get off topic....watching the video I notice the shooter pulls the trigger with his middle finger?
    Is this an accuracy trick used by long range shooters...or did grandpa teach me wrong?

To the OP, sounds like a fun trip to the range & a hell of a nice gift.
    Still looking for a Mosin for myself....apparently the words out, everytime Dunham Sports has a sale on them there sold out before I get one.

Harmi01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2011
    Hoosierdoc got 3 shots out of it....I only got 1. He was hogging the time with it. Looking forward to going out with the gift recipient and putting a few more rounds through it....perhaps tomorrow. Stinking winter hours....glad the hours increase starting 04/01 !!

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I shot one once, unfortunately my eyesight isn't up to par with the Mosin accuracy, same for my k31. Stupid eyesight!!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've also read that Mosin's were designed to be fired with bayonets "fixed". Firing without a bayonet attached can affect accuracy.

I could be wrong, and it seems like you would be able to compensate by adjusting the sights (scope).

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    It's not unusual for a MN to fire off to one side or another. They reportedly were zeroed with the bayonets fixed. Every one I've shot did shoot exactly as you reported. All mine fire truer with the bayonet fixed or forward.

Top Bottom