• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I know its a worthless varmint,but it was the first badger I ever shot and I'm excited! I was on my annual prarie dog shoot and saw this guy peaking out of a whole to see what the fuss was about. What a nasty, stinky creature! I'm bleaching the skull right now, its pretty cool.
    Oh yeah, shot it with a 223 with a 55gr dogtown (hornady super explosive) loaded over 25.5gr of varget, right below the shoulder and through the heart, didn't even move an inch. Tiny entrance hole, no exit, might try it as a coyote fur round this winter.

badger.jpg

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I have the skin, and that was the stinkiest, fattiest, skin I have ever seen. I am hoping to turn it into something though.

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Always wanted to shoot one on are annual trips too but have yet to have the oppertunity. If I do I think there will be a body mount in its future! Good job, looks kinda green in the pic for prarie dog country where were you at?

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Nice, I thought they were a protected species in North America?

for the most part badgers are unprotected here in the states. in the UK they are a protected species. there are a few states that require you to have a license to trap or kill a badger but for the most part they are considered varmints. unless things have changed?

congrats on the badger...that would make a neat full body mount!

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanks guys, I was in North Dakota. It was very green, they had 6 inches of rain in June which I think was some kind of a record. The shot was close, about 125 yards. I was shooting farther away and all of a sudden this guy climbed out halfway between where I was and the dogs Iwas shooting at.

In Indiana they are protected, but in ND you can shoot them year round just like coyotes, they are major pests.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I can attest to having badger in Northern Indiana at least we did as a kid back in the early '70s. How do I know you ask? As a typical country kid we were poking sticks into what we thought was a woodchuck or maybe rabbit hole under a big log on the banks of the St. Joe River. Our thought was to scare out the chuck and try to shoot it with our 30lb pull recurve bows. Well apparatnly badgers don't take kindly to having sticks poked at them in their den........No we did not get a shot at him but we sure saw him. They look mean up close!

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    Page 15 of Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide 2009-2010, "Protected Wildlife Baders, bobcats and river otters are protected by law. It is illegal to take these furbearers in Indiana."

endangeredwildlife.IN.gov

Missed the part about being in North Dakota.

Last edited:

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Page 15 of Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide 2009-2010, "Protected Wildlife Baders, bobcats and river otters are protected by law. It is illegal to take these furbearers in Indiana."

endangeredwildlife.IN.gov

Then it's a damn good thing he didn't shoot it in Indiana...:yesway:

Top Bottom