• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    OK, I read the sticky and I know a little about SBS's in Indiana. If it's under 26" overall, or the barrel is under 18" it is illegal in Indiana. But I just want some clarification. I have a Saiga 12 that I would like to shorten, but not that much. The stock barrel is 19", so can I take 1" off of it legally without any paperwork or tax stamps?

Ideally, I'd like to remove about 3" from the barrel. I have it converted to a pistol grip with the trigger moved forward, and basically I would just like to shorten it to make more close in size of a regular AK-47. That would bring the barrel slightly under 18", so that is not possible to do in Indiana at all...correct? Any shotgun with a stock and a barrel under 18" is never legal in Indiana, even with tax stamps and approval from the BATFE?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    The barrel MUST be 18" or more.

The overall length of the gun MUST be 26".

There is NO legal way for an individual to chop a S12 barrel down to less than 18", nor have an OAL of less than 26", none. Yes, it sucks, but that is the way it is. Believe me, if there was some loophole I would have found it. (I have a Red Jacket built S12.)

You are better off just doing the conversion on the gun and leaving the barrel length alone.

Wesley Willis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Indiana
    That's what I thought, I just thought I would double check.

I already have it converted, I was just looking for something else to do to it! Oh well, guess I will just shoot it some more...

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    There are still a few things you can do to it.
    Saig12RDP_003.jpg

Go here for more info, forum.Saiga-12.com .

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Remember that a perm attached brake etc will count towards the length as well, so if you find a sweet muzzle attachment you could always chop it down and perm attach the brake.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    how much does a fully automatic saiga 12 cost ?

They are not available in this country to the general public. Since they were made after the closing of the MG list, they are off the list.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    That would bring the barrel slightly under 18", so that is not possible to do in Indiana at all...correct?

Correct.

Any shotgun with a stock and a barrel under 18" is never legal in Indiana, even with tax stamps and approval from the BATFE?

A shotgun would need to be registered as an SBS (tax stamp, BATFE approval) to have a barrel less than 18" long. BATFE will not approve or issue a tax stamp for such a gun if the applicant is an Indiana resident.

The closest thing you can do with your Saiga is to have the barrel shortened and a muzzle device permanently attached, such that the total barrel length (including the muzzle device) is a bit over 18", and do the AK conversion package. Best to have a qualified Saiga-smith do the barrel work, since the gas ports may require modification as well.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    You are right on Shooter 521. Epsylum had his S12 modified by Tromix with the barrel cut down and a flash-hider welded on. The barrel and OA length are right on the legal limit. They did the port work, trigger mods, side folder stock and other stuff at the same time. Went out to shoot it the other day with a mag of 3" buckshot. What a sweet gun. Recoil was about the same as my O/U trap gun.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    They are not available in this country to the general public. Since they were made after the closing of the MG list, they are off the list.

but, you would always buy a full auto AK variant, and have it converted :rockwoot:

that is if you really want to fire a full auto shotgun, and have money to burn ;)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    are you saying it can't be done?

Exactly. I don't see how an AK rifle could be converted into a 12ga; the receiver shell could not physically accommodate the barrel trunnion, bolt carrier assembly or magazine unless *maybe* you completely gutted it, re-bent it, relocated and installed the correct bolt carrier rails, re-cut the mag well, etc etc. And by that time you've basically created a whole new gun, or so ATF would argue. A caliber conversion on an existing platform is one thing; this would be something else entirely.

I mean its not like they dont exist:

Those guns are both post-86 dealer samples - Saiga-12s that were converted to full auto by a Class 2 manufacturer.

Top Bottom