• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Man i'ms glad yous guys put these up in a topic Im not reall good at spellin and there are so many words that people spell wrong all teh time someties i ferget to use punkuation and stuff so this is a great I dea I thought about gettin hookd on fonix because it works fer people on tv but this way i can share my spellin progress with my friends on the internets their r so many cool words i could use that wood make me sound smartr and stuff

schmeed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I have a cousin (by marriage) who, when adding ing to the end of a word that ends with 'e', doesn't drop the 'e'.

Example:
    boreing instead of boring
    giveing instead of giving
    battleing instead of battling
    comeing instead of coming

You get the idea.

Drives me absolutely freaking crazy when I see it. How can anyone type that and not look at it and think it must not be correct??? Uggh.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    di·a·lect noun, often attributive \ˈdī-ə-ˌlekt\

Definition of DIALECT

a : a regional variety of language distinguished by features of vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation from other regional varieties and constituting together with them a single language <the Doric dialect of ancient Greek>

Courtesy of Merriam-Webster

What is phonetic spelling?

Phonetic spelling is the representation of vocal sounds which express pronunciations of words. It is a system of spelling in which each letter represents invariably the same spoken sound. Some schools may use phonetic pronunciations to help children learn the spelling of difficult words, for instance, WEDNESDAY = Wed Nes Day. Phonetic spelling constitutes an alteration of ordinary spelling that better represents the spoken language, that employs only characters of the regular alphabet, and that is used in a context of conventional spelling. A phonetic orthography is a writing system where there is a one-to-one relation between graphemes (the written form) and phonemes (the spoken form). Examples are "Esperanto" and the "International Phonetic Alphabet," which is used to describe pronunciations in some dictionaries, and that used by airplane pilots to communicate. The latter, for the US is: A-Alpha, B-Bravo, C-Charlie, D-Delta, E-Echo, F-Foxtrot, G-Golf, H-Hotel, I-India, J-Juliet, K-Kilo, L-Lima, M-Mike, N-November, O-Oscar, P-Papa, Q-Quebec, R-Romeo, S-Sierra, T-Tango, U-Uniform, V-Victor, W-Whisky, X-X-ray, Y-Yankee, Z-Zulu. There have been numerous attempts to launch spelling reform in English, but the last person to have any success was Noah Webster. He recommended a small number of standardized spellings which differed from the British English of the day, and many of Webster's suggestions are still in use in American English. Creating a phonemic orthography for English would be impossible, as pronunciations differ far too much. You can read more about the pros and cons of phonetic spelling and spelling reform by looking up those topics on the Internet.

Courtesy of dictionary.com

Top Bottom