• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    The only problem with Ballistics by the Inch is that they incorporate the OAL length of the cartridge into the barrell length.

For example their data for a 4in barrell (in 357 magnum) is actually only 2.41 inches. The 2in barrell data in 357 is actually only .51 inches!!!

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=278

This is a good refernce of what a "real" 357 can do, with data from real 357's.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    The only problem with Ballistics by the Inch is that they incorporate the OAL length of the cartridge into the barrell length.

For example their data for a 4in barrell (in 357 magnum) is actually only 2.41 inches. The 2in barrell data in 357 is actually only .51 inches!!!

I find it fascinating that there are such niches in this hobby for this kind of precision and accuracy. AND that it would even MATTER. I look forward to having conversations in the future about guns that are so elevated that physicians feel they're left out of something. :)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

I see Barnes advertises do NOT use these rounds in light-weight alloy frame or cylinder revolvers. "feel free to use it in any all-steel revolvers."

O.K., I get what they are saying but I still have a question about this.
    I have a total titanium .357mag snubbie. I was always under the impression that titanium was harder/stronger than steel.
    Would I be o.k. in the titanium, or am I mistaken about it's strength?

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Model 360PD Airlite Sc™ Chief’s Special: – A scandium-alloy frame and titanium cylinder make this the lightest and strongest .357 Magnum revolver ever made with an empty weight of just 12 oz. Configured in a Chief’s Special style with an exposed hammer, it can be shot in single-action or double-action modes. Red ramp front sight, fixed rear sight. Black rubber grips. Shoots both .357 Magnum and .38 Special ammunition. Five-shot capacity. Black and blue finish.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's not a "can the gun handle it" issue with magnum loads...

It's "can the remaining ammo in the cylinder handle it in such a light firearm". The reason - bullets unseating under the harsh recoil. Then you pull the trigger again and a bullet binds the cylinder up and now you've got a rather expensive paperweight.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    Model 360PD Airlite Sc™ Chief’s Special: – A scandium-alloy frame and titanium cylinder make this the lightest and strongest .357 Magnum revolver ever made with an empty weight of just 12 oz. Configured in a Chief’s Special style with an exposed hammer, it can be shot in single-action or double-action modes. Red ramp front sight, fixed rear sight. Black rubber grips. Shoots both .357 Magnum and .38 Special ammunition. Five-shot capacity. Black and blue finish.

Ha ha....at 12 ounces I can see me shooting once then having to turn around and find where it landed! :)

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W

Your gun is fine, under recoil your ammo is susceptable to "crimp jump", your bullet will loosen from the case and bind up the cylinder. Lightweight revolvers act different during recoil with magnum rounds, its tougher on everything, you, the gun and the ammo.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W

Your gun is fine, under recoil your ammo is susceptable to "crimp jump", your (remaining)bullets will loosen from the case and bind up the cylinder. Lightweight revolvers act different during recoil with magnum rounds, its tougher on everything, you, the gun and the ammo.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    :rolleyes:.......For they intend'd purpose.......in the gut......or up under you ribcage,an' BANG,BANG,BANG,BANG.....(ya git'a drift,don'cha?....).......or in the ear canal......velocity don' mean squat.......:):

Top Bottom