• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I have decided that I want a 1911. I have an idea of what I want but would like some input from the experts.

-9mm. I know this is likely going to slim down my options. Am i going to have reliability issues?
    -Smaller than full size. I have heard that this can also lead to reliability issues? This won't likely be my edc(currently either a glock 19 or lcp), but i would like to have it as an option.
    -$800. This is just where i am at the moment. I am not in a rush so I am not opposed to saving for a while longer but the extra spend would definitely need to be worth it. Am I better off spending at this budget and spending years upgrading?
    -I would like for this to be a lifetime purchase. I have bought, sold, and traded quite a few handguns in the past few years but I don't want that to be the case with this purchase.
    -I have very little experience with the platform. I have shot a RIA 9mm(which i really liked), and a springfield 45(Which i also liked). The friend that owns the RIA has had it for several years and states that he has had zero issues with the gun. The lack of felt recoil on the 45 surprised me. Both were full size. How much of an increase in recoil am I going to feel if I go with a smaller size?
    -I am in Lawrence county but am planning to head to indy area sometime soon to visit some shops. Are there some shops that have a good selection of 1911s that i can handle?
    -Right now my list is small. RIA 9mm Tactical CS, Springfield Range officer champion. What else should be on there.

Thanks in advance for any help.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are a fair number of options out there in a 9mm 1911. Colt has a few commander sized 1911s in 9mm and Springfield also supports 9mm in the 1911 platform very well. The Springfield RO Compact in 9mm is a good place to start looking. I've seen Colt's selling for $750ish over the holidays and those are built on forged frames and slides. Dan Wesson has a couple of nice offerings, but come in starting at around $300 over your budget.

S&W also seems to have a decent selection of 9mm 1911s, but might be pushing the budget somewhat.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    IMHO, I would stay away from the Rock Island and lower dollar variety 9mm 1911's.
    For your first 1911, I would go with a Springfield.
    They have standard parts, easier to upgrade, and they are good quality.
    Springfields are popular, so if there is something you don't like and decide to sell, you won't have trouble finding a buyer.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I might be in the minority here but I honestly liked shooting the RIA 9mm 1911. I do not own it but shoot regularly with the guys that do and it has been a good shooter since they bought it. Of the typical 1911's i've seen not in .45 ACP they have been of the STI variety and while they are fantastic they are also not $800. Springfield is a fantastic name in 1911 and I wouldn't talk anybody out of owning one of theirs for sure.

If I can be so bold...the best 9mm 1911, IMHO isn't a 1911 at all. Before you spend coin on one, take a long look at the CZ SP-01. The CZ is my 2nd favorite firearm manufacturer out there and I sincerely love what they offer.

The CZ SP-01 is a DA/SA pistol as offered but the standard model (not Tactical model) can be carried either as a DA/SA pistol or Cocked and Locked like a 1911. 18 round standard mags, incredible ergonomics, fantastic shooter, fun, fast accurate, ...it is well within the $800 limit you've set for yourself; I believe I've seen them around the $650 mark. the only down side to CZ customizing is there aren't quite as many places carrying upgrades the way the do for Glock, 1911 or AR-15 but there are places out there like Cajun Gun Works and CZ Custom Shop among others. Take a look at one and at least rule it out.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    When I bought my first 1911 I asked the same question.
    A LOT of people started saying "Buy a Springfield Armory."
    But the little voice in my head was saying "You can get something cheaper to start out. A 1911 is a 1911. Anything will do. Look at those $359 Rock Islands""
    So, I bought a used Charles Daley that was a great shooter but the slide rattled so bad that you couldn't conceal carry it.;)
    I traded the Charles Daley for a Para. I bought a Kimber, a Rock Island, traded for another Para...
    Then I traded the first Para for a Springfield Armory loaded and the angels began to sing.
    Springfield Armory is a LOT of gun for the money.
    Don't listen to that little voice in your head, get a Springfield. :)

If I were to go off of the Springfield reservation, it would be for a Remington R1.
    I haven't fired one but I have been known to coonfinger them on occasion.
    They are smooooth, like butter. Impressive.
    BUT I would only do that because I already have a Springfield.

I guess the moral here is two fold.
    Get a Springfield, then HOLD ON TO YOUR WALLET.
    1911's are addictive.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    In that price range for a 9mm I would go with the Springfield RO champion. Champion over compact because of the greater selection of magazines. I don't have an RO champion but I handled one and was impressed.

My wife has a Kimber in 9mm. 4" gun. Same size as the RO champion. I like how the gun handles. Kimber is a bit over priced but looks nice. Might be a better choice as a gun to own and take pride in. For a pure working gun go with the Springer though.

We own two of the SW1911 Pro Series guns. These are 5" guns but my choice for 9mm 1911. They have both been very reliable.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've got 2 RIA 1911's, one in 9mm one in 45. I've never had an issue with either. No slide rattle on either of mine.
    Go here - https://forums.1911forum.com/ down toward the bottom is a section for every manufacturer. You can search for issues with each.

Both of mine have shot everything I've put in them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Is there a reason for the compact over the champion? Seem to be close to the same gun but the champion holds one more round?

No reason at all other than I thought the champion fit was more expensive than the $800 budget. If you can find a Champion that fits the budget, then go for it. They are well worth the money.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I would 100% wait, save a bit more and buy a Dan Wesson Pointman 9. You can find used a PM9 for around 1200... New ones run $1400. Imo, buying a proven 1911 with no mim parts will pay off for you in the long run. You also know it's going to perform... Unlike a lot of Ria,SA, Rem, and others I personally have owned.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IMHO, I would stay away from the Rock Island and lower dollar variety 9mm 1911's.
    For your first 1911, I would go with a Springfield.
    They have standard parts, easier to upgrade, and they are good quality.
    Springfields are popular, so if there is something you don't like and decide to sell, you won't have trouble finding a buyer.
    This is solid advice and should be adhered to.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Thanks for all the advice. Leaning heavily toward the SA RO Champion. Anybody have any idea of a shop that may have one or something similar that I can handle? I am in Lawrence county but planning to head to Indy in the next few weeks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for all the advice. Leaning heavily toward the SA RO Champion. Anybody have any idea of a shop that may have one or something similar that I can handle? I am in Lawrence county but planning to head to Indy in the next few weeks.

I have that same gun in .45 ACP. If you do not find one to handle let me know.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Bite the Bullet in Seymour can order one in for you. Or you can buy online and have it transferred for $30.

The only one I have seen in the case was at Gun World in Corydon. It was over $800 though.

Top Bottom