• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I think if you have to use your pistol in a self defense situation I would rather worry about saving my life and deal with any repercussions which may come from shooting without ear protection later.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Location makes a huge difference.
    I accidentally didn't have ear pro at an indoor range w/ one round of .38 spl and didn't hear right for a couple days. Yet another time I was shooting an AR (w/o a comp) outdoors and couldn't figure out why it sounded "different." After about 5 rounds checking cases for pressure signs, etc, I realized what it was, and my ears never bothered me. If the sounds has something to bounce off of (like walls/ceiling), it will be LOUD. I suspect this is why many hunters get away w/o ear pro.

This is why I don't worry about a comp on a defensive AR... if indoors, I suspect it will be loud no matter what for all in the room (but may make it worse outdoors than non-comped).

I can't imagine my .38 super open gun w/o ear pro. I double up w/ it and it's still left me feeling like I took a couple punches to the head.

-rvb

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think if you have to use your pistol in a self defense situation I would rather worry about saving my life and deal with any repercussions which may come from shooting without ear protection later.

I would agree with that but the problem is that you may have to deal with the repercussions a few seconds after you used you gun.
    That's the whole point of this thread.
    If you need to empty a full mazine of you carry gun, indoor, you may not hear anything after that.
    You may have a hard time talking with your friends and loved ones, understanding the police and people around you.
    What if you cant hear anything when you call 911 after you had to use your gun? :dunno:

ShadowLeader

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Paragon, IN
    A friend of mine told me that if you shoot for a long time without using ear protection eventually over the years you will start to hear a hissing or buzzing noise constantly. He said it happened to a lot of his army buddies. Sounds like something I would want to avoid.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    No matter how much you believe that the noise "doesn't seem to bother you that much" you are doing serious damage to your ears and you will pay for it when you get older. I saw this over and over on flight lines and gunnery ranges for 30 years. Take care of your ears. Laying in bed at night listening to tinnitus shreiking in your head will really cramp your lifestyle. I would give anything to turn that noise off and hear ...nothing.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I have plugs in my pocket, but I fully realize I would never have enough time to put them in. They are on the night stand though as well. I have fired a mag (9 rounds) without hearing protection. The next time I DL that, someone better be bleeding out on the floor, because that was one of the dumbest things I have ever done. I'm still glad I did it. I now know that the first follow up shot will miss, because my ears will be bleeding.

Uncle Lee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Tell City
    A friend of mine told me that if you shoot for a long time without using ear protection eventually over the years you will start to hear a hissing or buzzing noise constantly. He said it happened to a lot of his army buddies. Sounds like something I would want to avoid.

Your friend is correct. It is loud enough sometimes to drive you crazy.
    There are times that it is like a million locusts screeming at the same time.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Sound above 80dB injures / kills the stereocilia or nerves in your inner ear. Gun blast can be up 140dB. Exposure to loud sound is a funny thing. It can take only one gun blast to permanently and immediately injure your ear noticeably or it can take multiple shocks prior to you you noticing the damage. Either way, damage IS done EVERY time you are exposed to sounds that loud. The variable is whether you notice it now or you notice it later.

Please don't be silly and bring up a defensive situation. No one is going to take the time to put on hearing protection prior to an emergency discharge. But that is one out of 10,000 shooting situations in our lives. For your own sake, wear hearing protection whenever possible when shooting any type of firearm.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    140db is just the beginning......

Table 1. SHOTGUN NOISE DATA (DECIBEL AVERAGES)
    .410 Bore 28" barrel 150dB
    26" barrel 150.25dB
    18 _" barrel 156.30dB
    20 Gauge
    28" barrel 152.50dB
    22" barrel 154.75dB
    12 Gauge
    28" barrel 151.50dB
    26" barrel 156.10dB
    18" barrel 161.50dB

Dr. Krammer continues to say that shotgun noise averaged slightly more that 150dB. This is approximately 14dB beyond the threshold of pain, and more than sufficient to cause sudden hearing loss with complications.
    Table 2. CENTERFIRE RIFLE DATA
    .223, 55GR. Commercial load
    18" barrel 155.5dB
    .243 in 22" barrel 155.9dB
    .30-30 in 20" barrel 156.0dB
    7mm Magnum in 20" barrel 157.5dB
    .308 in 24" barrel 156.2dB
    .30-06 in 24" barrel 158.5dB
    .30-06 in 18 _" barrel 163.2dB
    .375 18" barrel with muzzle brake 170 dB

Krammer adds that sound pressure levels for the various pistols and ammunition tested yielded an average mean of 157.5 dB, which is greater than those previously shown for shotgun and rifle noise levels. There was also a greater range, from 152.4dB to 164.5dB, representing 12 dB difference, or more than 10 time as much acoustic energy for the top end of the pistol spectrum. It should be noticed that this figure of 164.5 dB approaches the practical limit of impulse noise measurement capability inherent in most modern sound level meters.
    Table 3. CENTERFIRE PISTOL DATA
    .25 ACP 155.0 dB
    .32 LONG 152.4 dB
    .32 ACP 153.5 dB .380 157.7 dB
    9mm 159.8 dB
    .38 S&W 153.5 dB
    .38 Spl 156.3 dB
    .357 Magnum 164.3 dB
    .41 Magnum 163.2 dB
    .44 Spl 155.9 dB
    .45 ACP 157.0 dB
    .45 COLT 154.7 dB

The above averages are for all types of ammunition used in these firearms, and should be considered fairly representative. No wonder we hear numerous reports about hearing loss as a result of firearms including acoustic traumas that take hearing completely as a result of one shot. Imagine what the noise levels must be when we incorporate muzzle brakes or porting into firearms, or have a gun explode near the ear due to malfunction.

FreeHearingTest.com - Gunfire Noise Levels

More info

Keep in mind that conversational speech is approximately 60-65 dB, and the threshold of pain is considered to be 140 dB. According to Dr. William Clark, Ph.D. senior research scientist in charge of the NOISE LABORATORY at the Central Institute for the Deaf in St. Louis, the damage caused by one shot from a .357 magnum pistol, which can expose a shooter to 165 dB for 2msec, is equivalent to over 40 hours in a workplace with a 85dB noise level.
    Dr. Krammer continues to say that shotgun noise averaged slightly more that 150dB. This is approximately 14dB beyond the threshold of pain, and more than sufficient to cause sudden hearing loss with complications. Krammer adds that sound pressure levels for the various pistols and ammunition tested yielded an average mean of 157.5 dB, which is greater than those previously shown for shotgun and rifle noise levels.

How your hearing works and why exposure to noise levels above 90 dB is dangerous.

Last edited:

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    I've only done this once... with a 12 ga shotgun... everything went dead silent for about 3-4 seconds after the blast.

I suggest a pair of these... [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97079-Combat-Arms-Earplugs/dp/B000W2CPCC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1WCEI4QFIBX5E&colid=1JX45FF4YF1U1"]Peltor Combat Arms Earplugs[/ame]

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I have a billion ear plugs and highly recommend them for range days and shooting in general. I will gladly pass them out for free if you need any. I live in greenwood, just shoot me a PM.

I did however have my wife use her SD .38spl without plugs for 5 rounds so she could see what it would sound like. I think it is important to do in SD training. IMO the more the training is like the real thing... the better it is.

But seriously... I have enough ear plugs for everyone on INGO.

Shive.Justin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Greenwood/Whiteland
    just went shooting in the hills of TN/KY boarder last weekend. i went with my buddy and his wife. i only had one set of ear plugs and let my buddy's wife use them. we were shooting .22lr, 12g, 9mm, and .45. the .22lr and 12g weren't that bad without any ear protection, but the 9mm started to make my ears ring, and the .45 was pretty bad. i had a pretty bad ring and muffled hearing for several hours after and i only noticed it went away after i woke up the next morning.

moral of this story, don't shoot long periods of time without ear protection. in a self defense situation, when you should only have to shoot a couple shots, you should be fine.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    moral of this story, don't shoot long periods of time without ear protection. in a self defense situation, when you should only have to shoot a couple shots, you should be fine.

Respectfully, I'm gonna re-word your comment just a bit, and wrap it in my opinion...

moral of this story, don't shoot without ear protection. in a self defense situation, when you should only have to shoot a few shots, the risk of hearing loss/damage is acceptable....

:twocents: :patriot:

Shive.Justin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Greenwood/Whiteland
    Respectfully, I'm gonna re-word your comment just a bit, and wrap it in my opinion...

moral of this story, don't shoot without ear protection. in a self defense situation, when you should only have to shoot a few shots, the risk of hearing loss/damage is acceptable....

:twocents: :patriot:

i'll accept that. :)

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Massad Ayoob often refers to 3 physiological responses to stress during shootings. Tunnel vision, auditory exclusion and psychetachia (sp?). I have, as some others have described, experienced the auditory exclusion effect while hunting. I don't think I have ever heard the shot while hunting (large game at least). That's not to say that I think this is an indication that no damage is being done to my hearing. I just wanted to point out that there is a documented phenomenon.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    140db is just the beginning......

Table 1. SHOTGUN NOISE DATA (DECIBEL AVERAGES)
    .410 Bore 28" barrel 150dB
    26" barrel 150.25dB
    18 _" barrel 156.30dB
    20 Gauge
    28" barrel 152.50dB
    22" barrel 154.75dB
    12 Gauge
    28" barrel 151.50dB
    26" barrel 156.10dB
    18" barrel 161.50dB

Dr. Krammer continues to say that shotgun noise averaged slightly more that 150dB. This is approximately 14dB beyond the threshold of pain, and more than sufficient to cause sudden hearing loss with complications.
    Table 2. CENTERFIRE RIFLE DATA
    .223, 55GR. Commercial load
    18" barrel 155.5dB
    .243 in 22" barrel 155.9dB
    .30-30 in 20" barrel 156.0dB
    7mm Magnum in 20" barrel 157.5dB
    .308 in 24" barrel 156.2dB
    .30-06 in 24" barrel 158.5dB
    .30-06 in 18 _" barrel 163.2dB
    .375 18" barrel with muzzle brake 170 dB

Krammer adds that sound pressure levels for the various pistols and ammunition tested yielded an average mean of 157.5 dB, which is greater than those previously shown for shotgun and rifle noise levels. There was also a greater range, from 152.4dB to 164.5dB, representing 12 dB difference, or more than 10 time as much acoustic energy for the top end of the pistol spectrum. It should be noticed that this figure of 164.5 dB approaches the practical limit of impulse noise measurement capability inherent in most modern sound level meters.
    Table 3. CENTERFIRE PISTOL DATA
    .25 ACP 155.0 dB
    .32 LONG 152.4 dB
    .32 ACP 153.5 dB .380 157.7 dB
    9mm 159.8 dB
    .38 S&W 153.5 dB
    .38 Spl 156.3 dB
    .357 Magnum 164.3 dB
    .41 Magnum 163.2 dB
    .44 Spl 155.9 dB
    .45 ACP 157.0 dB
    .45 COLT 154.7 dB

The above averages are for all types of ammunition used in these firearms, and should be considered fairly representative. No wonder we hear numerous reports about hearing loss as a result of firearms including acoustic traumas that take hearing completely as a result of one shot. Imagine what the noise levels must be when we incorporate muzzle brakes or porting into firearms, or have a gun explode near the ear due to malfunction.

FreeHearingTest.com - Gunfire Noise Levels

More info

Keep in mind that conversational speech is approximately 60-65 dB, and the threshold of pain is considered to be 140 dB. According to Dr. William Clark, Ph.D. senior research scientist in charge of the NOISE LABORATORY at the Central Institute for the Deaf in St. Louis, the damage caused by one shot from a .357 magnum pistol, which can expose a shooter to 165 dB for 2msec, is equivalent to over 40 hours in a workplace with a 85dB noise level.
    Dr. Krammer continues to say that shotgun noise averaged slightly more that 150dB. This is approximately 14dB beyond the threshold of pain, and more than sufficient to cause sudden hearing loss with complications. Krammer adds that sound pressure levels for the various pistols and ammunition tested yielded an average mean of 157.5 dB, which is greater than those previously shown for shotgun and rifle noise levels.

How your hearing works and why exposure to noise levels above 90 dB is dangerous.

Those decibel levels are really interesting to read. I never wore hearing protection while hunting but it only seemed to bother me when dove hunting where I would shoot a lot. I almost always wear protection at the range. I don't really think its applicable to a self defense situation. I mean what are ya gonna do walk around wearing hearing protection 24 hours a day to protect your hearing from a situation that is most likely never going to happen? That would be insane. I find the decibel information interesting because the different readings on certain calibers surprise me. In general .22 long rifle 9mm and shotguns have never seemed to bother me much while .45acp .357 mag and any center-fire rifle .223 and up do when multiple rounds are fired. One round of .357 mag and my ears will be ringing for an hour or so. In that list 9mm is higher than .45 acp. I guess it seems different to me because the .45 seems to have a sharper crack to me than the 9mm.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have been looking at the ear muffs & was wondering which ones to get. How many decimals do I need to block out? Can I just buy the cheap WalMart Muffs? I have a 357 that I plan to start with 38 special bullets & work my way up to the 357 bullets.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I have been looking at the ear muffs & was wondering which ones to get. How many decimals do I need to block out? Can I just buy the cheap WalMart Muffs? I have a 357 that I plan to start with 38 special bullets & work my way up to the 357 bullets.

I have a pair of the chepo ones I got at Bradis or somewhere for like $5 they kinda work ok but they are not very comfortable to wear. Most of the time I go with ear plugs. I don't buy them at a gun shop they are over priced you can get a box of 50 pairs of earplugs at Walmart or in the Kroger pharmacy for like $5. When I get another pair of muffs I will definitely get a higher quality more comfortable set, I mean if they aren't comfortable you wont wear them like you should and they cant protect you if you don't wear them...

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    It only took one shot with my .454 Casull Taurus Raging Bull to find out my left ear will shut down completely (deaf) for about 15 minutes. I think you would be hard pressed to find another caliber with this DB level report.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN

I use these Howard Leight | Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff and provide them to students when I teach. I also hunt with 'em. Their adjustable noise threshold allow me to hear what i need to and still protect my hearing.

The general consensus is that you're better off blocking everything above 85db, or so.

Noise reduction ratings....
    Noise Reduction Ratings Explained | Cooper Safety Supply

noise reduction ratings

Top Bottom