• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Not being able to attend FNS tonight because of work, it got me thinking. What kind of steel is good to shoot at? I would think you'd want to be careful at what type you shot at, for ricochets and such, but I'm not sure. I'm able to shoot on my dad's property, but I'd like to practice shooting steel. Working at a machine shop, I have access to lots of scrap steel. But again, I'm not sure what's good to shoot at.
    The calibers would be 9mm, .45, .223, 30 caliber, 22/250 and 22LR.

I'll buy steel targets if I have to. But then again I'm not sure where I can purchase them, and what type to get. Any help would be, well, very awesome!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Not being able to attend FNS tonight because of work, it got me thinking. What kind of steel is good to shoot at? I would think you'd want to be careful at what type you shot at, for ricochets and such, but I'm not sure. I'm able to shoot on my dad's property, but I'd like to practice shooting steel. Working at a machine shop, I have access to lots of scrap steel. But again, I'm not sure what's good to shoot at.
    The calibers would be 9mm, .45, .223, 30 caliber, 22/250 and 22LR.

I'll buy steel targets if I have to. But then again I'm not sure where I can purchase them, and what type to get. Any help would be, well, very awesome!

talk to bobcatsteel who is on here. his steel can take a 50bmg at 100yds and only gets a dent. alot of steel a 30-06 will punch through at 200 yds.

his steel is all ar500 and much cheaper than anyone else ive found

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton

I can get smaller peices (up to 12"x12" some times) of steel for free if you like. At work we have 1/4" and 1/2" in mild steel, and 1/4" in in AR (abbrasion resistant) which is quite a bit harder and maybe more suited for the higher power rifles such as the 22-250 etc. Though the 1/2" would serve this purpose too, it's also heavier and if these are going to be portable you wouldn't want the thicker steel.

If you've got access to a torch or a plasma cutter (preferred, especially for AR steel) you can cut to size and shape of your liking. Maybe, just maybe, I could cut them for you too if you don't have access.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    We use soft A-36 steel (2" thick) for black powder rifles and pistol rounds, which are primarily lead (38/40/10mm/44). I occasionally get an old chunck of tool steel, and use that too.

For the big guns, I buy AR500 direct from Alro Steel ($80-$90 for a 24" x 24" plate, 0.625" thick,) and cut those down to 6" or 8" plates for 150-300 yards for the varmint guns, or 12" x 12" for 200-600 yard for distance shooting (6.5 Grendel, 338, etc).

All our targets are welded to hang with a slight cant to reduce ricochets, but I shoot in a pretty remote area.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Here is a good primer on steel targets. The first few pages give a good background.

http://www.actiontarget.com/pdf/pt_Steel_Target_Resource_Guide.pdf

AR500 and AR400 are the preferred steels for target shooting. 3/8 is the typical thickness for AR500 steel. I have some AR400 targets in 5/8" material also.

It's important that the face of the steel stay flat and smooth. This reduces ricochet at unexpected angles (read 'coming back at you!'). I have some mild steel targets that I know will get destroyed by rifle rounds. I keep those at a long distance from the shooter, in my case about 200 yards.

Rifle calibers should be shot at 100 yards or more. Pistol calibers can be much closer, down to 30' or so.

Always wear eye protection. Pants and shirts with long sleeves will give some protection from backsplatter.

The steel plates should be angled downward or allowed to swing a bit to take up some of the bullet energy and direct ricochet downward.

Bobcat Steel is a site advertiser that sells steel.
    INGO member 'Field King' has sold some AR grade steel targets in the past.

A recent thread about steel targets can be found at:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/92391-targets.html

Have fun shooting!

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    last sunday i ran 75rd of 762x39 out of my SLR-95 with drum none stop @ 80y in to a AR500 12"....just left spatters and no paint :rockwoot:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Here is an excellent article on shooting steel that every "steel newb" should read:

http://www.actiontarget.com/pdf/pt_Steel_Target_Resource_Guide.pdf

Generally, if you're going to be shooting at ricochet distances, then you'll want at least AR400 (up to pistol rounds) or AR500 (up to rifle rounds).

If you're shooting longer distances, then scrap will work fine, as ricochet becomes a non-issue, and you still get an audible report of a hit.

We've bought steel targets in AR400 and AR500 from INGOers Field King and ZbornacSVT (Bobcat Steel), and both are g2g.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ade_target_stand_for_long_distance_steel.html

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Marc, sorry we have been playing phone tag today. Please give me a call to discuss your needs at your convienience. 406-570-4373

For all those interested in steel, please come to the demo shoot in New Castle tomorrow!

Top Bottom