• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I picked up some steel targets from INGO member Field King Friday night. I got the chance to try them out yesterday with my dad. After a quick coat of bright yellow paint to aid in visibility, we put them to the test.

After jimmy rigging a mounting system consisting of some scrap wood, eye hooks, and mason twine, we were up and running. As you might guess, once hit, the gongs would spin wildly since the twine did nothing to resist the twisting. So, we'll be re-thinking our mounting system a bit to allow the target to swing freely, but not twist.

At 10 paces or so we were quickly able to get repeated hits on the gongs to the point where we were both hitting in excess of 75% of the time. This is not great by any means, but part of the reason for getting the steel was to help us practice and improve.

After a few hundred rounds of 9mm fun, we decided to try the 12" gong at ~100yds with a variety of rifle calibers.

First up was my 16" middy AR. I have a 6x mildot scope on it, which was sighted in at approximately 50yds. With a 2 dot hold under, I was able to score a hit, but then couldn't get a consistent hold (did I mention I need practice?;)). So I adjusted the scope in at 100yrds. Once dialed in I was able to hit 30 for 30 from a full mag. WOW - that was fun!! Crank - Ding, Crack - Ding, over and over and over.

We inspected the target and found copious amounts of lead splattered on the target and into the ground below. No significant pock marks were visible, and the target was holding up just as expected.

So we decided to go with some heavier rounds to see how they faired. Dad got out his scoped Czech Mauser. First round: Boom - Dong!!! I think the grin we had immediately after that was priceless. Suddently a 55 year old and a 30year old were like 10 year olds again.

We walked down and inspected, and again found a large amount of lead splatter, but no significant pock mark or cratering. So back up to the bench for a few more magazines through the mauser.

We had a ton of fun - way more fun than just punching paper, and had some good quality time together. If you have been thinking of buying some hardened steel for targets, DO IT! I think there is at least one open thread right now selling AR500 targets, and more than a few members with the capability to produce them.

Below is a picture of the 12" gong after our fun. You can see that we put quite a few rounds on target, and with a little touch up paint, it will be ready for many many more. I'm open to suggestions for a better mounting system than mason twine. We hung the 12" target from two points, so it did swing rather than rotate. However the bullet fragments eventually would cut the twin and the target would drop.

DSC06637.jpg

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I buy steel at the local scrap yard at about $.35 a lb. Sometimes it is hard to find anything that is worth dragging around to the range, but I have a few 3/4" plates that are about 12x12 that we shoot. Next time I go out, I will take a picture of the oldest one (about 2 years old) that we have hit with anything and everything. We have shot through it several times, and it is so beat up, that you have to wear gloves to handle it, or risk cutting the @#$% out your hands and fingers.

You're right though...the sound alone makes it worth it.

I am in the process of acquiring the steel to build a target system that will resemble a child's swing set. Not sure when I will be able to complete it, but when I do, I will post a pic of it too. It will be a multi-target system with various sizes of steel plates. The fun part will be welding it all together.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    One of the mechanisms we work on has a cylindrical shell, and once the mech's completely worn out, into the scrap hopper it goes. Mine has a bright yellow paiint job, and a little hanger at the top to attach chain to. Just gotta remember to get it set up. Doooooong!!!... should be fun.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    For the mounting system weld a bracket on the back that will fit over a 2 x 4 and then just weld up a stand and the target system is portable and won't spin.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    To jblomenberg16, I have an idea.... how bout two evenly spaced holes, near the top of the piece of steel, an inner tube, bolts, nuts, and washers, assemble.....Wa La watch what happens.......

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If ya want to keep it cheap... two holes at the top of that target mounted at opposing locations will cut a lot of the twist and turn out of it.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    the swing set idea is how i have mine done. if you look at mine from the side the stand would look like an upside down T. the bottom of the T is about 12" long and i drilled holes on the outside edge of the T. i took 2 pieces of 3/8 rod about 8" long and welded it in the holes so that when you set the target on the ground you will stand on the upside down T and push the rod into the ground to hold it still when it is hit. at the top you will place your Ts a little wider than your steel and bolt them together with a threaded rod. before bolting it together you will slide a steel pipe a little larger than your steel rod. you will weld your steel to this and this is what allows it to swing when hit. can post pics mon. night if needed.

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I welded pipe flanges to the smaller two targets so I can screw pipes in for legs. The 12" I might make into a swing target with some of the idea in here.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Good field report guys, The key is heat, hard to explain but heat is what causes the dimples etc. Any how the AR500 seems to be pretty sufficient if not pushed to Unsafe distance!
    (meaning too close)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Below is a picture of the 12" gong after our fun. You can see that we put quite a few rounds on target, and with a little touch up paint, it will be ready for many many more. I'm open to suggestions for a better mounting system than mason twine. We hung the 12" target from two points, so it did swing rather than rotate. However the bullet fragments eventually would cut the twin and the target would drop.

DSC06637.jpg

I presume you don't have a welder or torch of your own or you'd just make your own targets.

On that line as a second option, I'd just put a bolt the appropriate size through that hole and a piece of chain on the back sufficient to slide it on a rod. To make it a go any where target put enough chain on it to throw over a limb and bolt the chain back on to it's self.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Should have gave me a holla. I could have coached you up, before long you can be a sniper.:D Shooting steel is fun, only did it in the military with a few say......long haired guys.:shady:

Are you implying that I can't become a sniper overnight with a combination of what I read on the interwebs, and my previous exprience playing all of the Medal of Honor and Call of Duty PS2 games? :D

Just kidding. I will have to take you up on that. I could definitely use some help from someone with some experience and proper training.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Are you implying that I can't become a sniper overnight with a combination of what I read on the interwebs, and my previous exprience playing all of the Medal of Honor and Call of Duty PS2 games? :D

Just kidding. I will have to take you up on that. I could definitely use some help from someone with some experience and proper training.

LOL. Sure you can, didnt know you had all that experience.;) Where do you shoot at?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I presume you don't have a welder or torch of your own or you'd just make your own targets.

On that line as a second option, I'd just put a bolt the appropriate size through that hole and a piece of chain on the back sufficient to slide it on a rod. To make it a go any where target put enough chain on it to throw over a limb and bolt the chain back on to it's self.

That is a fair assumption. I do have access to a welder and some limited experience welding (car restoration project). I have zero experience with a torch, and don't mind stimulating the ecomony a bit by buying these off of fellow INGO-ers. :ingo:

Welding up a proper target stand isn't out of the question, just looking for some INGO knowledge of what works best. From some of the posts it sounds like a simple trapeze would work pretty well. I think could weld that up without too much trouble.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep shooting steel is a blast. So are pepper poppers, plate racks, bowling pins, & IPSC targets. Used to shoot a lot of this when I lived in the Dakotas. Now, like the OP I am badly out of practice. Have a hard time even getting the sights on target quickly.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom