• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    i know that i cannot be the only one who is tempted to do it. my neighbors dont care, and hell i even bought a nice pellet gun to do it with. anybody else do this? within season of corse, and i have res hunting license. can u get into trouble if the wrong person sees you shoot in town? any one been cought?

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    hmm not sure:dunno: are pellet guns considered firearms? I know in my town it is against the law to shoot a firearm within city limits.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    First of all, if your town has any ordinance about hunting within city limits then you don't want to go the "hunting" route. So that would leave the "pest" route. I'm sure that you can legally kill/remove the pest as long as you let a CO know afterwards. You may want to call them and ask. You can also call your city and ask about using a pellet gun, I doubt they're regulated in any manner.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    a good sized rat trap screwed into the base of a tree {about a foot up or so} laced with a bit of peanut butter takes care of them pesky tree rats within city limits;)

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    a good sized rat trap screwed into the base of a tree {about a foot up or so} laced with a bit of peanut butter takes care of them pesky tree rats within city limits;)

+1 You don't want to shoot them. I know it's tempting, but a discharge law is a discharge law. I can see losing ALL of your guns just because of 1 misplaced shot (.22lr or pellets).

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    We use to have alot of them around chewing up the cedar siding on my house.

I dont know where they are went to.:dunno:
    :draw:

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    +1 You don't want to shoot them. I know it's tempting, but a discharge law is a discharge law. I can see losing ALL of your guns just because of 1 misplaced shot (.22lr or pellets).

A pellet gun "discharge" law? I'm not sure about that. If that were true, they'd regulate sling-shots, too. But then again, who knows for sure :). My dog takes care of rodents, so I don't have to find out.:D

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I cant think of a single use of a dead squirrel other than ankle high socks. Unless you have a use for it, or they are damaging your property, they arent dangerous, and they dont spread disease, leave em alone. I know im in the wrong demographic here. Dont care.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    yea i here ya, dont know where they all went. i live in the city but across the street from my house there is a corn field, where i always see them in the trees along the edge. there is probly 1,000 yards of field with nothing beyond. so i know that i will not have misplaced shots or anything dangerous. their not pest really other than they tast so good and their fun little moveing targets.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    At last year's NFA Alumni Day, one INGO member had a bolt action .22 with a suppressor shooting subsonic ammunition. All you heard was snick...pffft....thud as the firing pin hit, the round left the barrell and hit the dirt backstop. Very quiet! The perfect set-up for urban pest control. :D

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Hammond has ordinances against bb guns, airsoft guns, slingshots, etc.
    From the City of Hammond website:

§ 132.070 DISCHARGING BB GUNS OR BOWS AND ARROWS; RESPONSIBILITY OF PARENT.

(A) It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge within the city, any air gun, spring gun or other similar device, commonly called a BB gun, or any bow and arrow or slingshot which is intended to propel a pellet, bullet or any other similar projectile. However, nothing in this section shall prevent the use of these weapons in shooting galleries or in any authorized place which is regulated by the Police Department in the city.
    (B) It shall be unlawful for the parents, guardian or other adult person having the care and custody of a minor under the age of 21 years to knowingly permit the minor to fire any air gun, spring gun or other similar device, commonly called a BB gun, which is intended to propel a pellet, bullet, or any other similar projectile, or any bow and arrow or slingshot within the city.
    (C) It shall be unlawful for any person to transport in the passenger compartment of any vehicle operated in the City of Hammond any air gun, spring gun, paintball gun or similar device, BB gun, pellet gun, or any bow and arrow or slingshot which is intended to propel a pellet, bullet or other projectile. Such items must be secured in the vehicle’s trunk, or otherwise secured out of the reach and accessibility of the driver and passengers.
    (D) Any vehicle in which such items are stored or used in such a way as to constitute a nuisance may be towed by the Police Department, and the equipment seized, until released by the Hammond City Court.
    (E) No juvenile may transport such an above-listed device without a parent, guardian or person of at least 21 years of age in the vehicle.
    (Prior Code, § 132.55) (Am. Ord. 8868, passed 8-13-07) Penalty, see § 132.999
    § 132.071 DISCHARGING FIREARMS; RESPONSIBILITY OF PARENT.

(A) It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge a firearm of any kind or nature whatsoever within the city. However, nothing in this section prevents the use of these weapons in shooting galleries or in any authorized place which is regulated by the Police Department of the city.
    (B) It shall be unlawful for the parents, guardian or other adult person having the care and custody of a minor under the age of 21 years to knowingly permit the minor to fire any firearm of any kind or nature whatsoever within the city.
    (Prior Code, § 132.56) (Ord. 3315, passed 2-13-1961) Penalty, see § 132.999

Don't do it unless you check the city/town ordinances very carefully.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    At last year's NFA Alumni Day, one INGO member had a bolt action .22 with a suppressor shooting subsonic ammunition. All you heard was snick...pffft....thud as the firing pin hit, the round left the barrell and hit the dirt backstop. Very quiet! The perfect set-up for urban pest control. :D

I get very similar results with a 27 inch barreled Winchester 67 and CCI CB Longs or my old Springfield 120 with Super Colibri's. Quieter than airguns I've owned in the past.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    billy i see you are from greenfield as i also am from handcuff (hancock) county. just be careful, alot of the sherrif deputies are really easy going, along with some of the gpd officers our dnr district just got a new conservation officer who is close to sherrif bud gray and the conservation officer is really cracking down. but i think a pellet gun will be ok.

Top Bottom