• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Warning, there isn't anything really exciting here, but I wanted to post this video anyway. I really like shooting my XD. I haven't had any problems with it, as some others have had which has often resulted in them being advised to "get the original, get a Glock," and so on. I enjoy it, and I'm pretty proficient with it.

So anyway, here is less than a minute of unspectacular footage of me shooting at a range in Churubusco, IN yesterday (I forget the name). It would have been a little longer video, but my phone ran out of space while my dad was recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b3TnJah9bQ

It's the 12+1 round compact .40 model. I really like it. It was a graduation present, so I think it is fortunate that it is one I like so much. Don't you kinda hate when you get a nice present, but it just doesn't really fit you that well? Yeah, I like this one.

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    So, if you, are so profiecient, how many times, did you hit the post, or the sign, that says, do not shoot post ?????

Heh, I didn't hit the posts you weren't allowed to hit! The backstop has a tin roof supported by some telephone poles, and you aren't allowed to shoot those. There are some other ones in front of the backstop on which you can put your target. I hit the target all but one time of the 24 rounds in those 2 magazines. The other one was just a tad high and I saw the round go straight into the dirt. (Or at least, I saw the dirt move when I hit it.) :)

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Don't you kinda hate when you get a nice present, but it just doesn't really fit you that well?
    Yeah, That liesure suit I had in the 70s was like that!! :):
    Seriously though, I really like my XD9SC. It's got several thousand reliable rounds thru it, and I carry it everywhere. (well, okay...not quite everywhere.)

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had a Glock 21 for many years and it's a good pistol.

Then I looked at an XD45 Service and liked the way it felt in my hand.
    Bought it and found I have a better natural point of aim with it,

So I also bought an XD45 tactical with stainless slide.

Sold my Glock 21 to a friend.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I had a Glock 21 for many years and it's a good pistol.

Then I looked at an XD45 Service and liked the way it felt in my hand.
    Bought it and found I have a better natural point of aim with it,

So I also bought an XD45 tactical with stainless slide.

Sold my Glock 21 to a friend.

My dad loves his G26, but he also readily admits the grip angle is much more natural on my XD. Not sure if he'll ever trade his Glock for it, though; he seems content to just force himself to remember to adjust his sights down after presenting his weapon.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My dad loves his G26, but he also readily admits the grip angle is much more natural on my XD. Not sure if he'll ever trade his Glock for it, though; he seems content to just force himself to remember to adjust his sights down after presenting his weapon.

The "rest of the story" is that for daily carry, I carry a Glock 27 due to it's compactness in balance with it's firepower.
    And I do have other Glocks too, and like them.

But I still feel the Xd45 Service and Tactical have a better natural point of aim, but aren't as compact.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Technique question: the OP used his right hand to release the slide and chamber the first round of the second magazine. Does that model allow you to release it using your thumb on the left side to depress the locking tab? Sorry about the awful terminology, still learning.

A RO showed me that, seems to work well and get you into a shooting position more fluid. Is this an acceptable technique?

Lastly, I love the XD!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Technique question: the OP used his right hand to release the slide and chamber the first round of the second magazine. Does that model allow you to release it using your thumb on the left side to depress the locking tab? Sorry about the awful terminology, still learning.

A RO showed me that, seems to work well and get you into a shooting position more fluid. Is this an acceptable technique?

Lastly, I love the XD!

I think you meant that I used my left hand to release the slide ;)

Yes, you can press down on the slide catch to release it. In the training I've taken, I've learned that it is a good idea to practice releasing the slide by pulling it back and letting it go on its own for a couple reasons.

First, it works on every gun. Ever picked up a new fun and found you had to press REAL hard on the slide catch to release it? If you are in a situation where you are forced to fire your weapon or somebody else's, you don't want to be wasting time figuring out how hard to press the button—just pull the slide.

Second, it allows the full force in the recoil spring to throw the slide forward. It may be important if there is gunk that could cause problems. I guess it really is just one main reason to do it that way: reliability. You can trust that pulling back on the slide will work. It is also similar to the tap-rack-and-roll technique we practice for clearing malfunctions. That helps with reducing the number of things to think about because it is the same motion to "get it running" again.

Also, some may be nit picky that the "button" is called a slide /catch/ and not a slide release for a reason.

(posted from my iPhone; please forgive any typos)

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County

Lastly, I love the XD!

I have a friend (LEO) who told me that it lessens the wear on the slide release. Over time, I'm guessing that catch can wear down. I had never thought of it till I mistakenly did it on his .45... oops! :dunno:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Oh, also, when using your other hand, you would have to do it by pulling the slide back because the slide catch isn't ambidextrous. Makes for consistent training with both hands.

Top Bottom