Shooting multiple calibers from one gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I don't know why but the idea of shooting multiple calibers with one firearm really appeals to me. I knew about .38 special/.357 mag and .44 special/.44 magnum. I recently learned that some firearms chambered in .40 S&W can be converted to shoot .357 sig with nothing more than swapping out the barrel. Any others I should be made aware of?

I was doing a little bit of research on 10mm and .40 S&W. From what I can understand, both rounds shoot identical bullets. The only difference is that a 10mm case is slightly longer than the .40 S&W. Is it possible to purchase a Glock 20(10mm) and by swapping out the appropriate barrels, have a firearm that shoots 10mm, .40 S&W, and .357 Sig?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    22 TCM and 9MM Armscor 1911.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    You can run 40 in a Glock 10mm just as it is. A 40 conversion barrel make help with reliability but I've shot a fair amount of 40 through a 10mm just as it is. I would NOT try this with other platforms though.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    U need a medusa asap. I am in the same boat but I run the 45acp 45colt(long) 410 shot and 454 casual. These are what my multi are geared to. Also I have some 357 so 38 as well.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Take a look at Lone Wolf conversion barrels. There website has good info on what it takes to run different calibers in different Glocks. In a nutshell, you can generally go same or smaller calibers, as in a 10mm G20 will be able to run .40 S&W, 9mm and .357 Sig, but not .45 ACP. There website is located here: https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=241

EAA also sells conversion kits for their large frame Witness (CZ 75 Clone) handguns that consist of a complete slide, barrel, recoil spring and magazine. Those will let you run any caliber you pretty much want on the same frame (9mm, 38 Super, .40 S&W, 10mm, .45 ACP). Unfortunately, those kits can be almost as expensive as the whole gun.

I have a 9mm conversion barrel to let me run 9mm in my Glock 27 and it's been perfect through 200+ rounds. I was planning on getting a .40 barrel for my G20, but might give running it as is a shot.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Glocks with Lone wolf conversion barrels are nice. I used to run a G23 with a 9mm conversion barrel. Shot like a dream. It also has the 357sig option.

The thing to remember on these is you can go DOWN in power, but not up. So you can convert a G23 to 9mm (or 357sig), but you cant convert a G19 to 40.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I run .357 sig in my G22 with just a barrel change. Run 9mm in the same gun with just barrel and mag change. The thing to remember it will not always work without changing the extractor and or ejector. Fortunately mine runs 100% without changing extractor or ejector but I will only carry it with the orginal barrel in it. Don't want the one failure to be when I need to use it in a real situation.

redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    I just picked up a Glock 23 from a guy on INGO and I'm now looking at Lone Wolf barrels. I like the idea of shooting .40 and 9 mm from the same gun.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I have a G23 and it runs the 9mm with barrel replacement and proper mags just fine. There are other guns you can do this with, but none so easy as the Glock. To make the Glock even more adaptable I run a G21 frame on a Mech-Tech carbine and I like it so much I now use that as my HD gun instead of a shotgun. It is much quieter and far less recoil than my 12 gauge that my wife can run it with ease. For these reasons, plus a few more, Glock has the best value as a gun on the market today with 28 years to back it up. Yes, it has been that long.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    .454 Casull will chamber and fire .454 Casull. and .45Colt. Some of the "Raging Judges" will also fire .410 bore.

.327 Federal Magnum will shoot,
    .327 Fed/mag, .32 H&R mag, .32S&W Long, .32S&W.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP I know that a Glock 22/23/35 can be converted to shoot .40/.357 sig/9mm with a barrel swap. I think a 10mm Glock can get conversion barrels for all these calibers as well.

I have a Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion. No problem. I have a friend with M&P 40 and 9mm barrel. Either gun will also accept 357 sig with the appropriate barrel.

JT1968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Aurora
    Have you considered the Sig P250 series? Multiple calibers, multiple platform sizes, there are a lot of combinations. I have a combo in 9mm that has subcompact and full size frames. I know a lot of shooters don't like the platform, especially the double action trigger, but I moved over from revolvers, and for me, the trigger feel on this platform works. Make sure you look for a second generation model.

RMShambaugh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I think it is a fine and dandy thing to do. I have a Glock 22 that I bought a 9mm conversion barrel for. I shoot .40/9mm. But sometimes there are feeding issues, therefore do not use the conversion as a carry gun/defense gun.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I just picked up a Glock 23 Zev Tier 1 upgraded (.40). I didn't really want a .40 nor wanted to pay that much but it was on sale lower than I've researched any others online and they added a Storm Lake .9mm barrel to boot and (2) 9mm mags! So while I paid more for a Glock than I wanted, I got more than I expected. The Fulcrum trigger group in this is amazing. Also the grip was nicely stippled and re shaped to point more naturally and the trigger guard was undercut for higher grip. I understand the Storm Lake barrels are better than Lone Wolf but I don't really know. I think they cost a bit more. I got all for $900 OTD. I haven't shot it yet but I kinda like getting re-acquainted with the .40 cal again and still have option to convert to the 9mm.

Top Bottom