• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I'm not sure where to post this, so sorry if this is in the wrong category.

Last night, I surprised my girl with a night out on the town after she got done with her long shift at the hospital. The plan was we grab a quick bite to eat (no where fancy as we were pressed on time for her surprise that she didn't yet know about) and then make our way to the StarBucks on the Circle (where we stopped on our first date). I had reserved a carriage ride to pick us up there and take us on a tour of the city and drop us off along the canal. From there, we were going to walk along the canal up to the bridge over the White River just outside the zoo (also were we went on our first date). On the bridge, I was going to propose to her.

Well, we decided to eat at Noodles and Co. on the corner of Illinois and Maryland, just west of the Steak 'n Shake on that corner. After we finished eating, we left at about 7:45 to make our way to the Circle. As we exited, we had to wait for this large group of teenagers (dressed as gangbangers) to pass since they took up the whole sidewalk. Right after they pass us, we continue walking and another group of teenagers pass, and about 20 feet behind them, 2 police officers are following them. At this point we are about 10 yards from the corner of the street (Illinois and Maryland). 20 seconds later, a lady with her daughter, who looked no older than 5, asked if we saw the cops following the kids, then she proceeded to ask us where Pan Am Plaza was. As I start to give her directions, we hear 3 shots fired and screams not more than 50 yards from where we are standing, coming from the direction we just came. Instantly, I grab my girl's hand and we run across the street to the next block north. As we are running, we hears sirens turn on, in what seemed to be every direction, and police cars start to make there way towards the shooting. Had we have left Noodles and Co. 1 or 2 minutes later, we might have been right in the center of it.

We start to make our way towards the Circle (hoping to still salvage my original plan). As we are standing in StarBucks, the carriage company calls me and tells me that they were ordered by police to stop their operations for the night due to safety concerns. So now I'm contemplating on just planning for another night, but my best friend texted me saying he thinks I should still go through with my proposal. So after we sit in StarBucks for about 45 minutes, she starts to calm down and I asked her if she would like to walk along the canal on our way back. She agreed, and also stated the she's never been more happy that I had a gun on me because it made her feel safe. This was a big step for her, as she's always been reluctant about the idea that I always carry.

Sorry this has gotten long, so I'll try to cut it a little shorter. We make our way along the canal to the bridge across the White River, and turn around to look out over the city. I ended up going through with the proposal, and she said yes! I'd say I have a lot to be thankful for right now, but most of all, that we are safe after a situation like that of last night's.

RTV6 - Police investigate downtown shooting near Circle Centre Mall - Local Story

One arrested, none injured in downtown Indianapolis shooting - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Police break up fights, shots fired downtown; IMPD chief vows to get tough on brawling youth | Fox 59 News – fox59.com

Luckily, no one was hit by the gun fire. As we ran, my heart sank for those two police officers, as I knew it was not them who fired (too many people around), but it turns out the second group of kids shot at the first group. They had been kicked out of Circle Centre Mall for fighting just prior to this incident.

Sorry this was such a long story!

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Glad you are OK.

The city is going to have to do something about these thugs as they will dry business up quick and turn downtown into Lafayette Square faster than you can say economic dead zone.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    Congratulations, and glad you all are safe. Sorry it took such a dangerous situation to change her mind, but maybe she will want her own carry permit one day.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Congrats on your proposal and surviving the night. I would never go anywhere near the Canal after dark.

quake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Congrats on the engagement MadMan66 :rockwoot:. Sorry to hear it was under those circumstances though.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    Congratulations on the big news, and that will be a night to remember. Glad you both are okay. :)

Glad you are OK.

The city is going to have to do something about these thugs as they will dry business up quick and turn downtown into Lafayette Square faster than you can say economic dead zone.

I agree. It's not just the gang bangers but the bums. I lived in San Diego for awhile and they let the bums get bad enough to where they were frankly aggressive, which I've noticed some of that especially around the mail doors in downtown Indy.

What was rather shocking, most recently I was at the convention center and while getting some fresh air, I noticed what looked like a clean cut frat boy with a sign asking for money! After rattling a paper cup and getting no money, he got frustrated and left. I couldn't believe that he had no shame in acting like a bum! :rolleyes:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Glad you are OK.

This happens everywhere they show up. You see the empty businesses all across 38th st. from east to west. This could escalate into a Chicago level soon if we do not step on these thugs throats. Our area has run out more than a few with no help from LEO as they are of no help.

Edit...the bums (homeless my A$$) have been a problem for a long time downtown. Have rattled more than a few at gun point in the alleys over the last 10 years or so. I used to work a lot on the HVAC/refrigeration systems down there. If you park near or over the exhaust vents (warm air in the winter and cool in the summer) they become aggressive.
    Never ends well for them.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Congradulations on the proposal. Main thing is you are both okay and now have a great story surrounding your proposal. On a different note now she is glad you carry.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    This happens everywhere they show up. You see the empty businesses all across 38th st. from east to west. This could escalate into a Chicago level soon if we do not step on these thugs throats. Our area has run out more than a few with no help from LEO as they are of no help.

Yep, West 38th is a ghost town now compared to what it used to be. When I was a kid Lafayette Square was the newest and best mall in the city. Washington Square was then built out in the country and was fantastic! Both areas pretty much suck now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, West 38th is a ghost town now compared to what it used to be. When I was a kid Lafayette Square was the newest and best mall in the city. Washington Square was then built out in the country and was fantastic! Both areas pretty much suck now.

Bus lines have ruined these ounce proud places. My wifes custom van ( in the mid 80's) was stolen 2 times from Laff. square and found inner city striped and left in the alley's 2 blocks apart. Ride the bus out, pick a vehicle, drive back and strip it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    A lot of these kids, aka Thugs, use bus passes that are meant to be used to get to school. One way to curb some of this trouble is to limit the passes to M-F and 7am - 4pm usage. Oh, we pay for those passes for the most part as well.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Thanks for all the congratulations everyone! It was definitely a night we will always remember.

Congratulations, and glad you all are safe. Sorry it took such a dangerous situation to change her mind, but maybe she will want her own carry permit one day.

I can see her wanting a LTCH in the near future! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Congrats on your proposal and surviving the night. I would never go anywhere near the Canal after dark.

I wasn't going to have us walking along the canal unless there were others down there too, but it was pretty active with joggers and cyclists.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for all the congratulations everyone! It was definitely a night we will always remember.

I can see her wanting a LTCH in the near future! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I wasn't going to have us walking along the canal unless there were others down there too, but it was pretty active with joggers and cyclists.

Wow...in my ranting I forgot to give you congrates and hope you get the best from your life together...........;)

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise

I grew up just miles from Washington Square. I worked at the Target there a few years ago during breaks from school. I got off work one day, and as I was walking to my car, an undercover police officer (possible mall security) and another officer in uniform chased a man through the parking lot, slamming him into a squad car that cut him off, right in front of me. Now that I have no need to be at that mall, I'll never return there.

Wow...in my ranting I forgot to give you congrates and hope you get the best from your life together...........;)

Thanks Churchmouse!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I grew up just miles from Washington Square. I worked at the Target there a few years ago during breaks from school. I got off work one day, and as I was walking to my car, an undercover police officer (possible mall security) and another officer in uniform chased a man through the parking lot, slamming him into a squad car that cut him off, right in front of me. Now that I have no need to be at that mall, I'll never return there.

I think you and I had a good discussion about guns etc. in that store a while back. I was in there working on the refrigeration. Not sure but this fella was from Anderson and living near by for work and school. Curious.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Congrats! It took a scary incident for my wife to come around about guns as well. Not as bad as that but she had a big guy start to get unruly and posturing clenching fists and such till i walked in with a Nickle plated 1911 oc on my hip and asked what the problem was He had me by almost a foot and 75 lbs. I had him by 230 jhp times 8. God Bless Samuel Colt. I didn't have to even un snap it. He straightened up right away and did what he was supposed to do.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I think you and I had a good discussion about guns etc. in that store a while back. I was in there working on the refrigeration. Not sure but this fella was from Anderson and living near by for work and school. Curious.

The frig in Target? It probably was me. Haha. I worked in the stockroom mostly back by the freezer from '09-'11

Top Bottom