• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I am curious if anyone out there has any helpful advice on how to get started shooting clay? I have to be honest. I am really a novice but it looks like it would be a whole lot of fun. I have lucked into a great deal on a Remington 870 so I want to give it a try.

I guess I am looking for any advice on resources in NE Indiana. Are there any clubs that offer lessons or anyone do any personal instruction?

It is something that I know I will love doing, but I want to make sure I get a little guidance in order to get my feet wet.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking to get into it myself, I've done it a few times and had a lot of fun. Ideal Fish and Wildlife in Chururbusco has regular clay shoots on the first and second Sunday of every month and some Wednesdays. I'm pretty sure if you showed up there you could find some folks willing to help you get going. You can also shoot up at Roush in Huntington. It's $5 for 27 clays and the use of their launcher.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I must say that I am a fan. I have trius one step, fantastic for throwing them yourself. I run my ipod ear buds up my shirt and under my ear muff hearing protection and just blast away.

My word of caution is to not get TOO much guidance AT FIRST. You can end up spending lots of cash on extas that you dont really need.

If you were in northwest Indiana I could help you out. But since you're not all I can say is good luck and have fun.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Under most circumstances, I would recommend editing that to 'shooting dummies'. It does more good!

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    There are two places that come to mind.

Young Guns Clay Sports Location. 3975 S 400 E Wolcottville, IN
    Back Forty Sporting Clays Location. 1010 9B Rd Bourbon, IN

Back Forty has a great Bunny shoot on April 13th & 14th. with coffee and hot dogs provided. It's a great and humiliating time. :):

k.leonard

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    North Vernon
    I'm not so sure that an 870 is ideal for shooting clays, unless its a TA trap, thus because of the longer barrel and adjustable chokes. I picked up a Perazzi Tm1 and absolutely love it!

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    For a novice I recommend contacting Bob Self at the Indiana Gun Club and taking a lesson. He shoots the circuit for Browning and is an outstanding instructor. I took a couple lessons from him about 9 years ago and my scores went way up!

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    I live in Warsaw and have shot trap at Kosko, and wobble trap and sporting clays at Back40. Both are fine places, but I can't say enough good about Back40 facilities, and the staff, father / son.

I think you could get informal help at either place from anyone that happens to be there at the time, always meet good people.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    For a novice I recommend contacting Bob Self at the Indiana Gun Club and taking a lesson. He shoots the circuit for Browning and is an outstanding instructor. I took a couple lessons from him about 9 years ago and my scores went way up!

+1
    I shot with him at the Back Forty a couple times. Nice Guy. I could use a couple lessons myself.

Voodoo574

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    South Bend/ Mishawaka
    +1 On Back Forty. That place is great. Friendly and helpful people running it. Dont get hung up on getting a $1000 O/U gun. Your 870 will be just fine to start. My brother uses a Mossberg 500 pump and has a great time. Come out and join the fun, if you want to get serious about it, then worry about investments. Last time we went one of our buddies brought his Benelli M4 home defense gun. Crazy loud but was knockin' em' dead left and right.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    My 870 does just fine shootin clays. I would recommend a pump for a beginner anyways, with a semi-auto shot gun its very easy to go trigger happy on clays, especially if you miss, and then you wind up wasting shells and not concentrating on the target. Eye on the clay, down the barrel and follow through.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    #1 mistake that beginners (and even some of us seasoned clay shooters) make is lifting your head off the stock. If you're lifting your head off the stock, you're not going to shoot where you're looking, so make sure that that cheek is plastered onto the damned thing.

It's really easy to do, and especially after several rounds when you're starting to get tired.

Head out to the Indiana Gun Club and talk to people there. Whether or not you decide to take a lesson or two from Bob, most of the old timers there are more than happy to help a newbie learn how to shoot.

Be careful with what type of gun you are taking out there. Most of the old school trap/skeet shooters will look at you funny for taking a pump shotgun out there as there are some social taboos surrounding the sport that most people don't realise. Just make sure to follow the rules, and not to look like a hunter (no orange and camo clothing) by loading your gun full and using all of your shells to try and shoot one target. Two shells max, preferably one per target. While a pump may be ok to start with, you will want to upgrade to an actual target gun soon in the future if you plan to become serious with any kind of competition shooting.

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Be careful with what type of gun you are taking out there. Most of the old school trap/skeet shooters will look at you funny for taking a pump shotgun out there as there are some social taboos surrounding the sport that most people don't realise.

WOW. Model 12 and 870 are "pump" guns and are very popular Trap guns. I am a long time Trap shooter and all the other Trap shooters I know have no problem with any type of shotgun. Heck we even allow people to shoot those new fancy camo semi-auto shotguns at our club.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Back Forty Sporting Clays is full of hunters. Shooting whatever you can afford. Just keep the action open when your done with your round. :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom