• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Would shooting blanks out of a firearm be considered discharging of a firearm within city limits? I know you can't shoot a gun inside Marion county but figured that blanks would be ok. So would I be fine shooting blanks?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Would shooting blanks out of a firearm be considered discharging of a firearm within city limits? I know you can't shoot a gun inside Marion county but figured that blanks would be ok. So would I be fine shooting blanks?

Back when I was helping in Independent Filmaking in Indianapolis, we used blank specific firearms. I supervised and handled safety of these. However, they were blank only designed, with blocked barrels.

We rented out an old factory for a few months and any time we were going to have blanks touched off, we contacted the closest PD for them to inform the officers at role call.

Not sure the legality of blanks in actual firearms thought.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Have no idea if it's legal or not, but I used to shoot my muzzle loader with powder and patch only on New Years Eve (in Marion County). Of course that was when I was younger and actually stayed up until midnight... :): That said, it's probably less likely that police will be called on New Years than it is on your average weeknight. Depending on the neighborhood, it may not seem like an unusual occurrence even then!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They do it all the time at track meets. Starter pistol with .22 blanks.
    Those probably fall under the same category as the prop guns (blanks only). There are also nail guns that use .22 blanks to drive nails into concrete and I'm pretty sure that those don't fall under the same category as regular firearms.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Well whats the reasoning for firing off blanks?
    I guess the easiest way would be to contact local PD and ask!

Just make sure you get the persons name in case someone decides to show up...

bconn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, In
    shooting in marion county

I went to several city county meetings when they were trying to stop shooting in marion county. It never passed. Yes you can legally hunt in marion county. You can also shoot to kill any animal attacking you even on Monumet circle. You will find that many Indianapolis Police dept officers are really unsure what the law reads. Just shooting a firearm in the air is considered discharging a firearm in a reckless manner which is illeagle. I was target shooting in marion county and some one called the police on me. They were very nervous when they responded which I understand after checking me out they asked me politely to refrain from target shooting because it upset some neighbors but it was not illegal. I made a choice because of my neighbors to choose not to target shoot anymore. I was using a bullet trap with ample back stop. Just a side note it is illegal to use a sling shot in marion county. Why is there absolutely no common sense anymore.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I have fired blank rounds from my repro 1861 Springfield in Crown Hill Cemetery several times. This was in conjunction with our annual Sons of Confederate Veterans ceremony at Confederate Mound. To the best of my knowledge, we have never asked for permission and we have never had the police called.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    When we practice for the 3 volley salute at the American Legion in Schererville, we call the police ahead of time. We know there going to get calls, and this way they already know.
    Of course, we have a good relation with the town. But I do know Schererville even considers BB gun firing to be a violation of the "no firearm discharge" rule. At least, that's what we've been told when trying to start a kids rifle team.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I don't know about current law in Marion county, but a few years ago, I shot my 2" bore cannon I had at the time on a Sunday afternoon, 10 minutes after I shot it, my street was lined with fire trucks and sheriffs. After an hour they finally left. Monday afternoon when I returned home from work, the BATF knocked on my door, and wanted an explanation for the very loud explosion coming from somewhere on my property. I told them I had a little get together, and shot my cannon. They ask if they could see it, which I showed it to them, they ask me my loading data, (1500 gr of 1F, wet newspaper) and the said ok no problem, no laws were broken. Some of the fireman and sheriffs contacted me a few days later and wanted me to shoot it again. So depending where you are located, etc, I am GUESSING that you may be GTG, but of course I am just talking about the noise factor, not the fact I was shooting black powder, etc.

Dave

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Indianapolis - Marion County, Indiana, Code of Ordinances

Sec. 451-2. - Firearms generally.

(a) Within the police special service district, it shall be unlawful for any person to fire off, shoot at another person or otherwise use any dangerous weapon for any purpose other than in defense of his life or the life of another person, or the protection of his property or property entrusted to him by another person, or for practice at a range under the supervision and operation of a governmental entity, or without the prior written approval of the department of public safety.

While I was there, I thought I would extract this nugget:

Chapter 807 - ADULT ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESSES >> ARTICLE III. - REGULATIONS

Sec. 807-301. - Premises requirements.

(d) Restrooms may not contain video reproduction equipment.

Top Bottom