• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Interesting, I'll jump on that bandwagon just as soon as they make a rimmed 40 S&W case. I'm surprised that's it not a stovepipe nightmare.
    I never knew a extractor was designed to keep headspace.
    And I wonder what Old Glock has to say about this. :dunno:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I did it in my G20 as an experiment , it's not a big deal. The main reactive force goes against the breech face-- there's not really any additional stress on the extractor.

Gas seal is worse and that makes it dirtier and slower fps. But thinking through the sequence of events, extractor loading is a non- issue.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I think one could find better ways to save money on ammo. Not that the 40 cal doesn't cycle in a 10mm, but I would be more prone to find the right caliber ammo on sale, save the brass, and then reload.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This could be handy to know during the next big ammo shortage. .40 is generally available longer than 9mm, and 10mm is not that common at any time. If you really want to go shooting, you could always run a box of .40 through if that was all that's available for your G20.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I did it in my G20 as an experiment , it's not a big deal. The main reactive force goes against the breech face-- there's not really any additional stress on the extractor.

Gas seal is worse and that makes it dirtier and slower fps. But thinking through the sequence of events, extractor loading is a non- issue.

So I guess that Newtons Law thingie about for every reaction there is a equal opposite reaction is BS ?
    There's more going on in a pistol being fired than rearward momentum.
    Extractors are designed to extract not hold headspace.
    Why headspace any rimless chartridge then ?
    Just think the past hundred years have been wasted by manufactures of Pistols, they could just build a 9x23mm pistols and you could shoot 9x23, 9mm largo, 9x21 and 9x19mm but yet they don't. Dang I wonder why ?

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    It is my understanding that a .40 S&W is basically a 10mm short. At least that's the way a spokesman from the FBI explained it in an article I read after they downsized from the 10mm to the .40 S&W. This had something to do with the changes they made after the Miami shootout.

If that is indeed the case I don't see why shooting the .40 out of a 10mil. would be a bad thing.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    When you do this the gun is" headspacing" off of the extractor instead of the case mouth. When the firing pin hits the primer/case head the case is flopping around on the extractor hook. That is not how it was designed to work and can produce misfires.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    When you do this the gun is" headspacing" off of the extractor instead of the case mouth. When the firing pin hits the primer/case head the case is flopping around on the extractor hook. That is not how it was designed to work and can produce misfires.

Bingo, misfires among other things.. It might work but really doesn't paint a pretty picture in my mind.. That being said, a 45 GAP will function fine in the 45 ACP pistols and a 380 should work fine in a 9MM ?? Same thing.... Personally, I think Ill pass.. Those brave souls among us please let me know how this works.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer- Certified M&P armorer[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    My rule for all semi autos is - only shoot the cartridge that is stamped on the barrel. No exceptions. Revolvers are a different story.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If you're really worried about it, get a .40S&W bbl from Lone Wolf, for your 10mm Glock.

This is my answer to the folks who say the reason they don't get a 10mm is because they cannot pick up a box of ammo on the way to the range, or that if shtf and they miraculously survive their first gunfight that they won't be able to pick up ammo off the street. A Glock 20, a few extra LWD bbls, a couple recoil springs of various weights and you have a gun that can shoot like 5 different calibers.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    with the size of those glock chambers I would be afraid the bullet might turn sideways

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    "Flopping around"? Not exactly. Drop a .40sw round into the glock chamber at about the depth it would be. There's very little movement, because the cartridge OD is the same. I did this before I shot .40 out of my 10mm. There's almost no more movement than a regular 10mm round at depth. The factory Glock chamber is loose enough that even a 10mm round is "flopping' on the extractor.

Yes, the gun is headspacing off the extractor. So what. Compared to the load of pulling out a bulged glock case, holding the case in place for the firing pin is nothing at all.

I had a lonewolf .40 conversion barrel for mine just because it's so cheap there's no reason not to have one to do it right.

But I'd never hesitate in dire conditions to shoot even several boxes of .40 through a bone stock G20.

Top Bottom