• ...and so much more!
  • .45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I learned from a young age to keep both eyes open. I admit it is getting harder as I get older, but I still find I can focus on the front sight and target better. Besides, it helps your peripheral vision so you don't have a "blind spot" if someone is coming up on your side.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    It depends. On both my pistols and rifles using iron sights I shoot with both eyes open up close, but if I'm shooting farther distances I usually will shoot with one eye closed.

Using red dot sights sights I always shoot with both eyes open.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Shoot with both eyes open. This is especially important if using military style sights. try this, look through the peep of an AR-15 at a target with one eye closed, then opwn the other eye. You should notice that the shape of the opening that you see will change. You will shoot tighter groups with both eyes open.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    as i sit here at work, i actually enjoy switching my "eye of focus" from left to right and so on. pistol is always open eyes. scopes im working on keeping both eyes open, iron sights mean my eyes are open.

wonder how much good it actually does to put the piece of tape over the left eyeglass on the range goggles.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    When I had 20 20 vision I shot with both eyes open and it worked very well for many years. Now that my left eye is much worse than my right I have to close the left to see the front sight. Both eyes open is the way to go if your eyes are fairly equal. And before anyone says anything, no my left eye is not correctable with glasses.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    From an early age I always shot with my left eye closed. Recently I was instructed to shoot with both eyes open which resulted in a noticeable drop in my accuracy. When I switched back to one eye closed, I found I could acquire the target much faster and the accuracy immediately improved. The instructor figured it is because I am so right eye dominate and agreed I should do whatever works best for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With age and fading eye sight I am forced to close my left eye all the time while shooting. I am right handed and my right eye is getting weaker than the left. To open both causes some issues.
    I try to teach the kids to keep both open but they are more comfortable closing one eye. Seems to keep them on point so I stopped pushing that.

Enjoy and take care of your eyes while you have full use of them. Like a weak flashlight they will fade.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    I had never really thought much about it until now but this question made me think. I shoot pistols with both eyes open, but iron sighted rifles with my left eye closed. Scopes are both eyes open. It is not something I ever actually worked on, just my natural tendency I guess.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I keeps me both eyes open, but one doesn't work too well, so's I close it. arrrrrrrrrr......guh!guh!guh!guh!

Last edited:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I am new to shooting. I naturally was shutting my left eye. Should I switch and keep both eyes open when aiming?

Yes.

Training oneself to keep both eyes open, sometimes takes some doing, but its worth it in the end.

I'm comfortable using optics with both eyes open as well. Likely to my years behind a unireticle microscope.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Both open, no matter what. Never knew there was any other method :)

I am super right eye dominant, due to having Brown's Syndrome.
    In my youth I could shoot both open but concentrated the right, or left, at will.

It worked to pick up peripheral movement and with better than 20/15 vision I shot pretty decent. Effortless.

Aging sucks.

At almost 50 it's a battle now to keep both eyes open, vision went below 20/20 2 yrs ago. Both eyes open still, but it's straining and my accuracy isn't what it was.

Top Bottom