• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Do you guys use these when shooting much? I've been looking around for pricing on these and they vary so much it's hard to find a good place to buy.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I've ordered a bunch of the Orange Peel targets from MidwayUSA. They have "seconds" of them on sale from time to time for a really good price.

I've also bought them locally @ Bradis, Wal-Mart, and BGF. I like them for the instant feedback.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I've ordered a bunch of the Orange Peel targets from MidwayUSA. They have "seconds" of them on sale from time to time for a really good price.

I've also bought them locally @ Bradis, Wal-Mart, and BGF. I like them for the instant feedback.

This. I buy them in bulk at MidwayUSA when they are on sale.

Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    I think they are worth it, Hoosierdoc. Been using them for years and definitely improve range time when just shooting paper. Much easier to make sighting adjustments without walking up and down range every few shots...

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011

I think they are worth it, Hoosierdoc. Been using them for years and definitely improve range time when just shooting paper. Much easier to make sighting adjustments without walking up and down range every few shots...

They def. help you make the most of your range time. Instant feedback. They can be pricey compared to paper targets. Walmart seems to have them the cheapest locally, but I just bought a pack of 50 5.5" orange 2nds from midway USA. I bought the limit of 3 packs and split them with some friends. I haven't seen anything wrong with them that would make them 2nds.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.

midway has them on sale this month. i ordered 5 packs yesterday. the 6"ers this time.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I bet I've bought 7 or 8 packs of the seconds from Midway and haven't noticed anything other than a print smear or misspelled word on the target. They're the way to go if you catch them on sale or clearance.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Over a long period of time I think a spotting scope might be the better investment, but they definitely work as advertised. I don't buy them regularly anymore, but I have used them in the past. The thought just occurred to me though that I wonder if putting a contrasting color of paper behind the target before you mount it might also work. Probably not as well, but you might be able to pick up your shots.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I saw the factory seconds sale before and bought a few, was sad about the limited quantities but just bought a bunch with no apparent limit :)

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Over a long period of time I think a spotting scope might be the better investment, but they definitely work as advertised. I don't buy them regularly anymore, but I have used them in the past. The thought just occurred to me though that I wonder if putting a contrasting color of paper behind the target before you mount it might also work. Probably not as well, but you might be able to pick up your shots.

I moved to using spotting scopes and I'm very pleased.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I love these targets, both for the instant feedback and for the ease in putting them up. Sometimes they don't want to stick to very slick cardboard but that's rare.

I recall using a large one to demonstrate what different shotgun rounds do. I first shot a deer slug, then 00 buckshot, and finally #8 birdshot. I think my boys were most impressed by the birdshot, just because it created so many little orange dots. :D

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    I love them because they stick well to empty 5 gallon buckets. They are old buckets setting all around the farm ground we lease and they make great portable target holders.

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I like them quite a bit. I use them for target quite a bit. I like the immediate ability to see where I'm at and being able to adjust. It is especially nice when dialing in new sights

Top Bottom