• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I've watched a lot of people die and I sleep just fine knowing i did everything reasonable given the situation. In the end, I didn't make him pull the trigger.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    How about you answer my question now, instead of sidestepping it and turning it back at me? If you stood there doing nothing, and the guy shot the clerk, could you live with that? Would you be able to look in the mirror and like the guy you see?

I've watched a lot of people die and I sleep just fine knowing i did everything reasonable given the situation. In the end, I didn't make him pull the trigger.

Not to engage in the firefight here (pun intended :) ) but the question still remains unanswered.

In the situation the OP describes, 'doing something' =/= be a good witness IMO.

I would like more clarification on the answer to jbombelli's question if you don't mind. I certainly couldn't live with myself knowing how things played out just sitting there with the ability to do something, making the choice to do nothing, and the clerk dies.

I guess some of us have an inherent desire to do good and help protect others given certain situation.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Not to engage in the firefight here (pun intended :) ) but the question still remains unanswered.

In the situation the OP describes, 'doing something' =/= be a good witness IMO.

I would like more clarification on the answer to jbombelli's question if you don't mind. I certainly couldn't live with myself knowing how things played out just sitting there with the ability to do something, making the choice to do nothing, and the clerk dies.

I guess some of us have an inherent desire to do good and help protect others given certain situation.

Sounds like some of you have an inherent desire to shot someone. It's easy to puff your chest out on line. I have a feeling that some of you will find yourselves rocking on the ground in fetal position if you were ever faced with this kind of situation.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

That didn't really answer the question. It's a simple yes or no: if the robber shot the clerk in the face, while you stood by and did nothing to stop it, even though you could have, would you be able to look yourself in the mirror and still like what you see?

Watching people die is one thing. Watching people get murdered while you stand aside and watch when you could have actually done something to possibly prevent it, is an entirely different thing.

Sounds like some of you have an inherent desire to shot someone. It's easy to puff your chest out on line. I have a feeling that some of you will find yourselves rocking on the ground in fetal position if you were ever faced with this kind of situation.

I've been shot at twice.

Last edited:

Nim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    Falls City Area / Clark County
    Imminent danger seems to be a key phrase in this situation.

Self defense is a given...shoot the bad guy.

Defens of another human being is the sticky point in the situation. The gunis not pointed at you.

However, the fact that the BG has a gun at all implies intent to harm/kill so I think anyone would be justified in shooting first and asking questions after.

Even a knife or other weapon(baseball bat, tire iron, killer rabbit with 9 inch teeth) implies their intent to harm/kill.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    And your telling me this because??? You being shot at dosnt get you any extra street cred in my book.

I took your statement as being directed at me. You see, between your LAST (prior to the one I quoted), and the post I quoted, I was one of those advocating shooting the guy. So obviously your post was directed at me (maybe not JUST me, but I'm in there nonetheless). That's why.

I'm not looking for street cred, but I can assure you I won't be

... rocking on the ground in fetal position if you were ever faced with this kind of situation.

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    If you guys decide to shoot with his back on you, keep in mind that the clerk is in front of him, if the bullet goes through, that's the risk you'll have to take.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I took your statement as being directed at me. You see, between your LAST (prior to the one I quoted), and the post I quoted, I was one of those advocating shooting the guy. So obviously your post was directed at me (maybe not JUST me, but I'm in there nonetheless). That's why.

I'm not looking for street cred, but I can assure you I won't be

I already know you will shoot. Heck you'll even shoot an innocent man with a garrote.

:D

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Why would I even consider drawing my weapon? The guy is not pointing a gun at me. I don't know that old lady and besides she must be under educated and have no common since. Because she is working at the quicky mart late at night and did not shoot the guy once he put a gun in her face. That is her problem not mine. Plus if he pops her I probably wont have to pay for my soda. Lets not forget she is old, her days are numbered, I still have a long life to live.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Why would I even consider drawing my weapon? The guy is not pointing a gun at me. I don't know that old lady and besides she must be under educated and have no common since. Because she is working at the quicky mart late at night and did not shoot the guy once he put a gun in her face. That is her problem not mine. Plus if he pops her I probably wont have to pay for my soda. Lets not forget she is old, her days are numbered, I still have a long life to live.

Oh, the irony.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    If you guys decide to shoot with his back on you, keep in mind that the clerk is in front of him, if the bullet goes through, that's the risk you'll have to take.

Even if he turns around the clerk will still be in the line of fire. If he is taller then the clerk I would go for a headshot. But then again he could be her dealer and she owes him money. There fore his actions could be warranted. :dunno:

You're probably better off these day's to shoot the bad guy after he shoots the clerk. Either way your probably looking at some sort of civil suit.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground

This is just another good example why people from Mars Hill get a bad wrap. Way to represent!

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    Unless he began acting erratically or started shuffling the clerk into the back room, quietly get your get your gun out and wait for him to collect the cash and leave.

Be a good witness.

Handgun bullets don't vaporize bad guys. You could try to shoot him while he's task fixated and cause him to shoot the clerk. You could draw his attention so he's not pointing to gun at the clerk then exchange gunfire and hopefully not get ventilated yourself or you could wait until he walks out the door with someone else's likely insured money and call the police.

This is a great point.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

Nothing could be further than the truth. You know nothing about me nor how I would react in a high stress situation.

It'd be much easier to be an internet rambo if that's what I was aiming for.

Some of us have an inherent desire to help and/or protect others. Having an inherent desire to help/protect others =/= an inherent desire to shoot people. I still fail to see how you made that correlation based on the conversation contained in this thread.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom