• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I need to send my Taurus back to the factory for some warenty repair. And I'd like to know is It absolutely nessesary to ship through an FFL or can you go though a common carrier. I called UPS directly and they said No way, but one of those "Shipping Shops" said No Problem. I just want to make sure it doesn't get confiscated If it goes through an X-ray machine or somthing. And I also like to avoid the fees that gun shop would charge. The recssion has hit me pretty hard so every penny I can save is worth it.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had to send my 870 in to get re-coated a few months ago. Sent it UPS as per Remingtons direction. Got there without incident, and it was shipped directly back to my home via UPS. I don't know if there is any difference in shipping pistols vs. long guns, but that was my experience. Just make sure it is UNLOADED with no ammo in the package live or spent, and insure it for what it is worth.:)

Nimrod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Floyds Knobs
    Kimber

I shipped through UPS several months ago. Take the weapon to a district office. They will check it to see the contents. It will go overnight to the warranty address. I chose to pay for the charges. Kimber needed a three day window for pickup and that wouldn't work. It cost me $60.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've shipped two pistols to two different manufactures, both via FedEx.

As long as the receiver is an FFL-holder, you most certainly can use a common carrier.

I believe that ATF regs dictate, as well as the common carrier rules, that you declare that the package contains a firearm. Also, it MUST be shipped overnight per carrier rules.

-J-

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Cool! thanks for the info, I knew Federal Law allowed one to do this but the Taurus Website warned about local regs and stuff. And since 9/11 I wasn't sure what might be needed for sure. Now as soon a X- mas is done I'll get this Shipped. It's a PT 908 which Know for it's feeding and ejection problems. Also everone who fires this thing shoots low with it. I like the fit and feel of this gun, I hope they can resolve these issues.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yeah...

As you found out, sometimes, though, the counter monkeys don't know the laws, rules, and regulations.

It MIGHT be worth your time to print out the pages of that carrier's website that deal with the shipping of firearms. Show that to whoever it is that's working.

If they balk, ask for their supervisor. If they balk, ask for their supervisor.

For what it's worth, I sent mine out through a Kinko's location.

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    I actually I just shipped my Taurus back to them 3 weeks ago. When Icalled them they took my information. Than they set up a time where Fedex picked it up from my house. I didnt have to do anything besides call them. They sent Fedex to my house and shipped it from there. Now just waiting to get it back. Hope this helps.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Cool! thanks for the info, I knew Federal Law allowed one to do this but the Taurus Website warned about local regs and stuff. And since 9/11 I wasn't sure what might be needed for sure. Now as soon a X- mas is done I'll get this Shipped. It's a PT 908 which Know for it's feeding and ejection problems. Also everone who fires this thing shoots low with it. I like the fit and feel of this gun, I hope they can resolve these issues.

Would you be so kind to let me know what Taurus does to your PT-908 and what the results are ? I have no problems feeding and ejecting from factory mags but do sometimes get soft strikes and I've been debating sending it to them for work. I love the grip angle, ergonomics, and general build of the piece so I want to keep it around. My first pistol after a hipoint!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mine seems to have a real problem with my reloads, but my colt and ruger don't. But even with factory it will stove pipe and just not exstact after 20 or 30 rnds. Cleaning the heck out of it seems to help but again after so many rnds the same thing happens. And everyone that has shot pistol has shot low with it, like 6-8 off point of aim, now I'm no Bob Munden, but I'm not that bad either

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Mine seems to have a real problem with my reloads, but my colt and ruger don't. But even with factory it will stove pipe and just not exstact after 20 or 30 rnds. Cleaning the heck out of it seems to help but again after so many rnds the same thing happens. And everyone that has shot pistol has shot low with it, like 6-8 off point of aim, now I'm no Bob Munden, but I'm not that bad either

I've never shot any handloads, so I can't comment to that. Mine develops its failure to fire condition after about 30-40 rounds. I usually rechamber and continue - and then whatever misfired I just try again and they usually go right through.

Come to think of it, I did have a problem with hollow points once, but those were Winchester's old white box "Personal Protection" rounds that I haven't seen in a very long time. They were junk from the start. No issues feeding 147gr HydraShok's, though. Hope you have a good experience with Taurus' service. I've heard it's hit or miss.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I shipped through UPS several months ago. Take the weapon to a district office. They will check it to see the contents. It will go overnight to the warranty address. I chose to pay for the charges. Kimber needed a three day window for pickup and that wouldn't work. It cost me $60.

This is correct, as long as your already the owner of the gun it can be shipped back to your house. You should have no problems shipping without going through an FFL.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Ive had to ship my Skyy and my Phoneix I did UPS both times. When they ask the contents just say "parts". When I sent my slide to Phoneix I shipped it UPS and cost me 10 bucks 2 of which because i used my own box. When they shipped it back it was in a manilla envelope with 63 cents in stamps. FML I wasted 9 bucks!! lol

Top Bottom