• ...and so much more!
  • vick1

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Dec 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I know that if you purchase a firearm from out of state in needs to be transfered thru a FFL Licenese Holder.... If you are selling to an individual in state can you ship it directly to them? Thanks

gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    A nonlicensee (not a FFL-holder) may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee (an FFL-holder) in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922(a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

So, if you are not a licensee (an FFL-holder), you can send a handgun via common carrier, not the U.S. mail, and the recipient must be an FFL holder. If you are an FFL-holder, you can, with the filing of a Form 1508 ("Statement by Shipper of Firearms") with your local post office, send a handgun through the mails. This Form must be filed for each individual shipment.

Also, Local restrictions may impact, how, when, and where firearms can be delivered. Shipper beware! Gary and South Bend have their own firearms laws, not sure what they are though and how this may effect you.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I just shipped my Taurus Judge back to them for repair, they had FED-EX come to my home, with a airbill already filled out, and they paid for shipment back, and they will ship it back to me after the repairs are made.

INGunGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I had to ship my sr9c back to ruger,

the ups customer center closest to me was in the hood :noob:

there were signs plastered everywhere, (i do not kid)
    NO WEAPONS PERMITTED ANYWHERE ON PREMISES
    LOADED OR UNLOADED

when i went in the guy gave me a big stink about it

i explained to him that it is fully legal to ship the firearm and that ups says they will ship it, he was still giving me a big stink, so was the supervisor, then i asked for the number of the person in charge of the opperation. they refused to give it to me and said (exact words) "whatever we'll ship it, we don't need you getting mad and shooting the place up"

:rofl:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    LOADED OR UNLOADED

i explained to him that it is fully legal to ship the firearm and that ups says they will ship it, he was still giving me a big stink, so was the supervisor, then i asked for the number of the person in charge of the opperation. they refused to give it to me and said (exact words) "whatever we'll ship it, we don't need you getting mad and shooting the place up"

I hope you reported them to corporate.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I had to ship my sr9c back to ruger,

the ups customer center closest to me was in the hood :noob:

LOADED OR UNLOADED

:rofl:
    I would have said ..that's ok I'm using Fed-Ex from now on and will tell Ruger to do so as well

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    I am unaware of the ups personel that was mentioned in an earlier post, but UPS has additional rules for shipping a handgun. They require it to be sent thru their air service (next day air, 2nd day air etc.) they have better security over the packages that go thru that system. Of course you still would want insurance and I always have "signature required". I do this for 2 reasons :1 whom ever got the package cant say they didn't, but more importantly UPS allows drivers to leave a package "in a safe location ie a porch or behind a screen door. I dont know about who you are sending the item to but alot of FFL dealers work out of their houses and I sure as heck dont want a firearm dropped off and left on a porch jsut because the FFL holder went to McDonalds for lunch or works another job durring the day. Now obviously this would not be a thing for a manufacturer in getting a repair, or a large dealer, although the 1st reason may still hold true.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922(a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

I'm a FFL holder but I can't ship via the mail, my FFL is C&R only, to use the mail as a shipper you must be a dealer or manufacturer FFL sending a commercial trade shipment to another dealer or manufacturer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I am unaware of the ups personel that was mentioned in an earlier post, but UPS has additional rules for shipping a handgun. They require it to be sent thru their air service (next day air, 2nd day air etc.) they have better security over the packages that go thru that system. Of course you still would want insurance and I always have "signature required". I do this for 2 reasons :1 whom ever got the package cant say they didn't, but more importantly UPS allows drivers to leave a package "in a safe location ie a porch or behind a screen door. I dont know about who you are sending the item to but alot of FFL dealers work out of their houses and I sure as heck dont want a firearm dropped off and left on a porch jsut because the FFL holder went to McDonalds for lunch or works another job durring the day. Now obviously this would not be a thing for a manufacturer in getting a repair, or a large dealer, although the 1st reason may still hold true.

ruger set up the shipping and included MSRP insurance on it. which is about 100 dollars more than I paid for it.

i said in my original post i was sending it back to ruger.

Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    I have to send me Berettat Neos back for repair and supposedly UPS is gonna come pick it up for me. All I have to do is have it packaged.

Top Bottom