• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I know you can ship a cap and ball pistol through the Post Office but can't find the regulation that states it. I need to get my 7 year old grandson here to find it for me but that would be Saturday. My computer keeps sending me all over the world but not to the U.S. Post Office. Can some one send me to the right site?

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    USPS shipping firearms

see 12.1.h below
    ------------------

12.1 Firearms

12.1.1 Definitions

The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:

[Delete current items 12.1.1a and 12.1.1g in their entirety and replace with the following.]

a. Firearm
    means any device, including a starter gun, which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include an antique firearm.

b. Firearm frame or receiver is the part of a firearm that provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism and that is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel.

c. Handgun (including pistols and revolvers) means any firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand and subject to 12.1.1a, or a combination of parts from which a handgun can be assembled.

d. Other firearms capable of being concealed on the person include, but are not limited to, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles.

e. Short-barreled shotgun means a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches long. The term short-barreled rifle means a rifle that has one or more barrels that are less than 16 inches long. These definitions include any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches. A short-barreled shotgun or rifle of greater dimension may be regarded as nonmailable when it has characteristics to allow concealment on the person.

f. Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) manufacturer, dealer, or importer of firearms means a manufacturer, dealer, or importer duly licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) under Chapter 44, Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.).

g. Curio and relic collector means an individual licensed by ATF to transfer or receive only those firearms defined as curios or relics by ATF under Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), section 478.11.

h. Antique firearm means any muzzle loading rifle/shotgun/pistol that is designed to use black powder or a black powder substitute and that cannot use fixed ammunition (except those that incorporate a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm that is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon that can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof); or any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured on or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You can have a black powder firearm dropped off at your doorstep, with nothing more than an adult signature.

Top Bottom