• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Currently, my only holster for my Shield is an INCOG with the "half guard". I should've gotten the full guard...but can't change that now.

anyhow: the position of the safety in relationship to the half guard means that something would have to work itself between my body/shirt and work its way past the "standoff" to touch the lever. Yes, I can do it with the gun/holster in my hand - but not while it's on my body. Plus - there's even a small molded ridge of the frame that also surrounds the safety lever just a tad - keeping even more "stuff" from getting in and under the safety lever.

With my current set-up, it's MUCH easier to disengage the safety while it's holstered than it is to engage it.

But - not all holsters are created equal - and I can see where having one without a sweat guard that it could potentially be an issue.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    My concern with the shield was how small the safety is. I am still a little concerned that for my wife it will be to small to operate in a crisis. But dang it is one fine little pistol.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have EDC a shield in 40 for over a year now. I put an apex trigger kit in it and was ringing the 50 yrd gong at MCFG about 50%. The safety is not a concern for me, but having one without would be a plus.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My concern with the shield was how small the safety is. I am still a little concerned that for my wife it will be to small to operate in a crisis. But dang it is one fine little pistol.

I've only had mine less than 3 months and have practiced drawing and sweeping the safety with no problems. It isn't as easy to sweep as some of the bigger safeties, but that's actually a plus. It's easy to hit once you've practiced with it a bit, but it's small enough it shouldn't activate accidentally. It may not be 100% that it won't activate on its own, but I feel a lot more confident with the size and stiffness over a lot of other safeties out there.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I accidentally engaged mine while practicing my draw. I felt and heard it right away. At that point i realized mine will have to be altered. I hope to see the no safety version.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Removing it for me is a minus but then I have been around guns since I was 8 years old and they all had them then.

I like them and find it to be a negative if they lack them. Glad I have mine with one.

Been carrying my Shield 40 for two years without a single problem.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not selling mine. I have options. I can leave the safety off. I can take it off completely. Heck I could super glue it off if I so desired. Or I can flip it off as I do my 1911 every time I bring it up to shoot.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm not selling mine. I have options. I can leave the safety off. I can take it off completely. Heck I could super glue it off if I so desired. Or I can flip it off as I do my 1911 every time I bring it up to shoot.

I feel the same way. I practice drawing mine and flipping off the safety 10 - 20 times a day, getting it into muscle memory.

Top Bottom