• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    I have been carrying a Shield 9mm for the last several months. It is a great carry pistol for many reasons. I trust it's reliability, warranty, and parts support.

On the negative side, the size has been a little bit of problem for me. I'm not a large guy (5'9" 185 llbs). I like to carry appendiz or 4-5 o clock. I used to own a Sig P938 and I enjoyed the pocket carry option but disliked the 1911 style of operation.

I've been eyeballing the Kahr CM9 lately. The smaller size is appealing. I have dry fired them and the smooth double action doesn't bother me.

Any insights? Are there other models I should consider?

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I've got a CW9 [about the same size as the Shield] and a PM40. I can't remember the last time I carried the CW9. The PM40 is just too easy to throw in a pocket and go. AIWB isn't bad either.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I have shot a variety of small 9mm pistols and the ones you mention are fine carry guns. I also had a CW9 but hated the trigger a lot. I traded it for a Ruger LC9 that is equipped with a really nice trigger. The Shield is a nice gun, but when I was seriously looking for a single stack nine it wasn't available yet. I like to shoot the Shield but for now I will stick with my LC9.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    CM9 is one of my favorite guns, not only to carry, but to shoot as well. It's one of those guns that just fits perfectly in my hand and is dead on accurate for me to shoot. The trigger is great if you're okay with a "double-action" style pull. It's certainly noticeably smaller than the Shield when carrying. I don't own a Shield, but I've shot one and pocketed it. The CM9 was far easier to pocket carry. I wouldn't hesitate at all to go with the CM9. I love mine, and more recently, I picked up a CW380 because of how much I enjoy carrying and shooting my CM9.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've shot a CM9 before, as it was my younger brother's first 9mm. Sharp looking little gun, and the trigger... it felt like it was on hydraulics, I really liked it.

My experience with the CM9 may have been because I was very new to shooting at the time, but for me (5'9", 155#), I thought it was a violent little gun. I definitely felt the recoil, and I didn't enjoy shooting more than a couple mags through it at a time. That said, I'd like to try shooting it again now that I have several years of shooting under my belt, I suspect the experience would be different.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A CM9 is my EDC. I put a Crimson Trace on mine. Prior to the CM9, I carried a S&W 642 revolver for many years. I find the CM9 to be easier to carry and shoot than the revolver (I cut my teeth on revolvers). I took my CM9 to the range again recently and it performed perfectly right out of the pocket (lint and all). I find the recoil quite manageable when compared to the 642 with Speer 135 gr. short barreled ammo. I can shoot the CM9 reasonably accurate out to 25 yards. I have pretty average sized hands, which is a factor. One size doesn't fit all where handguns are concerned. The only drawback to the CM9 is that the extra mag I carry in a pocket tends to lose a round once in a while. If I carried the extra mag in a holder of some kind, I'm pretty sure that this problem would be rectified. I just started carrying Underwood 90 gr. Xtreme Defender ammo in mine. It functions 100% and is accurate. I like the videos I've seen of its performance.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I carry handguns of various sizes and configurations, and I find that the Shield fits my purposes most of the time. But, when the Shield is even too big for the occasion, I default to my LCP. I will not replace either gun, since the both serve mutually exclusive purposes for me. I will add that even when I carry a Shield, PPQ, 1911 or whatever, I still have room in a pocket for the trusty little LCP.

My advise is to keep the Shield and just add something the size of an LCP for those times that even the Shield is too big.

2 great tastes that taste great together!

PS. I will never give the Moonies any of my money!

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The CM9 and PM9 are both excellent. I would definitely encourage you to pick one up. I own a shield as well that I carry most of the time. If clothing is issue (summer), I will carry the PM9 or P380.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I have a CM9 and love it. Can put it in the front pocket of my blue jeans. Carry it year round. Shoots pretty good for a small pistol. Trigger is butter smooth.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    You might consider trying the shield at 3 o'clock IWB. If that doesn't work and you still want a smaller pistol, I have a lot of experience with the CM9 and the P938. I prefer shooting the Sig, but carry the CM9 daily. I bought a spare because I like it that much. If you buy the CM9, pay $17.95 for the Talon grips. They make shooting the tiny pistol a pleasure. I still think it is a little big to pocket carry, but with a good holster like the Desantes nemesis, you should be good to go. Carry your spare mag in a sneaky Pete leather mag pouch in your opposite pocket and you will never loose a round. The CM9 is accurate and reliable. Some have had issues with the 7 round mags. I am one of them. I'm going to get an 8 round mag soon and try that for my spare if it works well.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I have a Shield and a PM9. I've had the PM9 longer, but now carry the Shield the vast majority of the time at 4-5 o'clock in a Crossbreed holster. I am seriously small, 5'3" and 125 lbs, but the Shield conceals nicely. My preference for the Shield is based on being more accurate with it and it's more comfortable to shoot. That is not to say that the PM9 is inaccurate or uncomfortable to shoot. It's neither, but the nod goes to the Shield.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You might consider trying the shield at 3 o'clock IWB. If that doesn't work and you still want a smaller pistol, I have a lot of experience with the CM9 and the P938. I prefer shooting the Sig, but carry the CM9 daily. I bought a spare because I like it that much. If you buy the CM9, pay $17.95 for the Talon grips. They make shooting the tiny pistol a pleasure. I still think it is a little big to pocket carry, but with a good holster like the Desantes nemesis, you should be good to go. Carry your spare mag in a sneaky Pete leather mag pouch in your opposite pocket and you will never loose a round. The CM9 is accurate and reliable. Some have had issues with the 7 round mags. I am one of them. I'm going to get an 8 round mag soon and try that for my spare if it works well.
    Good tip on the Sneaky Pete magazine pocket protector. I ordered one today. One other thing I forgot to mention about my CM9 is that one of my CM9 magazines (which I have been carrying as a spare) wouldn't drop free. I finally got up the courage to squeeze it with my vise. I went really slowly and tried it. After many tries, the #2 magazine (I mark mine) now is a drop free.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    add

Good tip on the Sneaky Pete magazine pocket protector. I ordered one today. One other thing I forgot to mention about my CM9 is that one of my CM9 magazines (which I have been carrying as a spare) wouldn't drop free. I finally got up the courage to squeeze it with my vise. I went really slowly and tried it. After many tries, the #2 magazine (I mark mine) now is a drop free.

I have 8 or 9 mags for my 2 CM9s. I don't normally drop mags so I never noticed them not dropping. Now that I think about it...seems like they do. Again, all my 6 round mags run perfect for me every time. The 7 round mag I have is unreliable.

Oh, yeah. I love those sneaky pete pocket protectors. I have one for my P938 and one for my P238.
    And bought a Glock 26 one for the FNS-9c, that I sold, but works for the CZ 75 compact.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom