• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    I have been reading on the S&W forum of people having issues with the Shield missing low left consistently. Has anyone here had the same issues? I also have read that the customer service when dealing with S&W has been less than ideal. It is making me reconsider my next weapon purchase. It is between the Shield and an SR9C at the moment...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My wife's Shield shoots fine, and the other two people I know who have one both shoot fine. Lots of handguns consistently shoot low and to the left. The fault lies with the shooter, not the pistol, though. A right handed shooter who is milking the grip will consistently miss low and left.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My wife's Shield shoots fine, and the other two people I know who have one both shoot fine. Lots of handguns consistently shoot low and to the left. The fault lies with the shooter, not the pistol, though. A right handed shooter who is milking the grip will consistently miss low and left.

I have a FS M&P. Shot low and to the left. Had several others shoot it and it did the same. Had my brother shoot it(he is a very good shot) and his hits were right on.

I took it out yesterday knowing that it is operator error and focused with slow deliberate shots and they hit right where I put the front sight. When I tried an IDPA type string, the groups opened up and I started hitting low.

I really think it is the shooter.

Plus, even though I like the grip feel of the small grip panels, I put the large ones in. This put my trigger finger in a better position to use the pad of the finger and pull more straight back.

I will probably buy a Shield for CC and since it is a small grip I am anticipating a learning curve to get it on target.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    A lot of these small guns seem to do this. My wife and my father-in-law both have Taurus millenium g2's and they both shot low left. Just be slow and get to know it. Maybe try sitting down and resting your arms on the bench. Worked for both of them. I do that with all my handguns until I am proficient enough to stand.

Runt1122

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Fulton County
    Finger in to deep, try using your finger tip.

Interesting, so would too much out on the finger tip cause high/right? I have small hands and when I shot my XD subcompact that has a thickish grip I tended to miss high/right. I have also read some guys saying their wives (small hands) shot the Shield with good accuracy.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I had a Shield (9MM) for several months. No matter what I did, site adjustment, correcting my shooting stance and grip, it always shot low left.
    I sold it, and bought a Ruger SR9. It shots a little low for me, but not to the left at all.
    The Shield was 100% reliable, but so is the Ruger.
    Just my experience.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Have no issues with my Shield if I concentrate. Have not been able to shoot it too much and believe I will get better with it and should become more second nature. But I have need more time with all of my guns. I am not a "natural" shooter and need more time practicing to consistently stay in the zone.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Reverse for left handed shooters.

2OyvkYL.jpg

*ps, I'm new to the forum, and looked at the forum rules, but didn't see anything regarding pictures. If this is a nono. I apoligize in advance.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Low and left is a common occurrence with newer handgun shooters. Do your research on how to correct it. Dry fire and watch where the front sight goes as the trigger breaks. Proper grip, trigger discipline and lots of practice will bring it back on target. Never adjust the sights to get it on target until you know for CERTAIN it's not your own improper technique. If you adjust your sights for bad technique, your shot placement is going to be WAY off at further ranges.

I always shot expert in the military with rifles. First time I qual'd with an M9, I barely made marksman. I was upset and blaming the gun because I 'knew' I was a good shot. There's a totally different set of muscles and kinematics you're using.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I should have elaborated on my post, sorry.

Generally with pocket guns, people shoot low left because they over grip the gun because it's small.

I've seen experienced shooters do this when switched from large guns to small guns. It's just over gripping.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Perfect reason to use one of the laser training cartridges that activates when the firing pin goes home on it, show's you exactly where your hitting on your target.
    Drop in the bucket with ammo prices these days, saves you alot of time and running to the range for sight adjustments as well.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Trigger Control

Do not get caught up with everything else. If it is any consolation I have trouble with the M&P triggers and shoot low and left. We did have two different M&Ps that had rear sights that were not centered. That is easy to check though. But I promise your problem is your trigger control.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I have been reading on the S&W forum of people having issues with the Shield missing low left consistently. Has anyone here had the same issues? I also have read that the customer service when dealing with S&W has been less than ideal. It is making me reconsider my next weapon purchase. It is between the Shield and an SR9C at the moment...

:dunno:......Aim high'n right......pro'lem solved.......:):

(an' git'cha a Glock...........)

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    My Shield shoots fine. My error is what makes shots off center. As for S&W customer service, I've heard nothing but good things. But I've never dealt with them personally.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    I should have elaborated on my post, sorry.

Generally with pocket guns, people shoot low left because they over grip the gun because it's small.

I've seen experienced shooters do this when switched from large guns to small guns. It's just over gripping.

I was sure my compact pistol was faulty. It drove me low and left and I looked like a doofus. I was over-thinking it. Best thing I did? I stopped anticipating the strike. When I let it "surprise" me a bit, i didn't over-control it. My gun was miraculously "fixed!" :)

Top Bottom