• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Boy, you'd think this would end sometime, but I guess I'm not the only one (judging from the forum posts, anyway) that is constantly on the search for "The One".

I've got a Shield 40 I traded a Glock 26 for that is just great in my hand, where the Glock was too chunky for my short fingers. The Shield is lighter, easier to carry IWB due to its skim profile, and in a major caliber that's more readily available in my area. To top it off, it's an easy shooter, too!

So today I'm carrying Wifey's P238 and thinking, "Wow, is this ever easier to pocket carry!" Gets me thinking along the lines of a Kahr CM/PM 40...

So, two questions:

1. Anyone with experience with the Kahr, and any insight as to recoil, shootability, etc.?

2. Am I nuts for considering a Kahr over my Shield?!?

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have a Kahr CM9. It is a micro 9mm, it doesn't weigh much. Recoil is solid, but manageable. In a .40 I imagine it is going to be pretty snappy. I like the Kahr for it's simplicity & also the trigger. Although striker fired, it does not have a trigger similar to what you may be used to with Glocks & the Shield. It is closer to a DAO revolver trigger in that it is a very long pull. However, it is light and has a very crisp break. I happen to actually like it more than the Shield trigger. I never bought into all the internet hoopla over the Shield trigger. Frankly, I think it sucks.

There are a few quirks with this gun though. It has very tight tolerances. The slide can be hard to rack at first. In fact, the manual instructs you to use the slide stop to load the first round. I couldn't even sling shot the slide when I first got mine, although I can now. Also, some of their guns have an issue with the magazines dropping free when you depress the mag release button. For instance, mine only comes out part way on both my 6 and 7 round mags. Seems to be hit and miss and there is plenty of reading and videos on the interwebs for you on this issue.

In summary, I don't think you are crazy because I have made that same choice. I'm carrying my CM9 in a IWB holster currently and my Shield stays at home. I'm also looking to pick up the even smaller P380 or CW380 that Kahr makes for easier pocket carry. My personal experience with my CM9 has been nothing but accurate and 100% reliable out of the box. I have put a wide variety of very cheap ammo through it with no issues. It seems to be a quality, American made product with the internals all looking very well machined even on the cheaper CM/CW line.

Seabass

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I am very curious what others think who have had experience specifically with the Kahr.
    My shooting buddies and I have been preoccupied with concealed carry guns for the last year or so. Between the three of us we have owned/still own XDS, Kimber Crimson Ultra, Shield 40, Nano, DB9, Sig 938, & a Kimber CDP Pro. We shoot together often and when we do we have a habit of running at least one mag though everyone's gun.
    When it comes to firearms we don't agree on much. Other than it's far better to carry and never need than to need and not be carrying.

The only other things we agreed on were the following:
    1) The .45 ACP XDS was a pleasure to shoot, considering what it is. Both of the other guys intend on purchasing the XDS 9mm & 40 when it's available in their preferred caliber.
    2) The Sig 938 is a slick little shooter that is intuitive & very accurate.
    3) The Kimbers are exactly as nice as you would expect $1400 guns to be.
    And finally.
    4) The Shield 40 was the most unpleasant concealed carry gun any of us ever fired. It had significantly more perceived recoil & muzzle flip than any other gun, including my XDS. It had the mag drop issue which led, of course, to FTF's. If you don't know about the mag drop issue YouTube it, lots of examples. It definitely required the most concentration to wring accuracy out of the gun.

Lol, in retrospect maybe it would be a good training gun. It kicked excessively, and required excellent trigger work & concentration to get reliable accuracy.

My 2 pence.

PS the guy who bought the Shield from my friend says he likes it. But he did acknowledege it's his 1st concealed carry gun.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've never even held a Shield, so I can't comment there.

I do own a Kahr CM40.

Pros:
    - Packs a punch
    - very concealable
    - Seems very well made

Cons:
    - very heavy recoil spring makes the slide harder to "rack". My wife can't do it.
    - Lots of recoil. Hey, it is a .40 with almost no mass behind it. What did you expect?
    - Very long and heavy trigger

I've only put a few hundred through mine at this point. It seems to eat JHP and FMJ indiscriminately. Pretty accurate at self-defense distances (20' and less). I find the recoil perfectly manageable, but punishing after a while. It is NOT a plinker. The sights are fine, for what it is. I had hoped my wife would like it, but unless the recoil spring loosens up, there is no chance. I don't think she will care for the recoil, either.

I don't carry it yet. Still looking for the pocket holster I want. I do plan on making it an EDC, and a backup for my XD40.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've owned both and believe the Shield is superior shooting tool of the two. The Shield seems to be a smidgen too big for a pocket carry, IMO. If that is your main goal, you may want to consider the Kahr.

Sedanman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Noblesville
    We have three carry guns, Kimber ultra carry 2, LC9 and shield 9mm. The wife likes the shield because it has the least recoil. She shoots well period, but loves the accuracy of the shield. I prefer the Kimber, but when CC I often chose the shield because it is so small.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    And finally.
    4) The Shield 40 was the most unpleasant concealed carry gun any of us ever fired. It had significantly more perceived recoil & muzzle flip than any other gun, including my XDS.

Hmm. My wife and I have found the Shield in 40 to be quite pleasant to shoot. The recoil hasn't been an issue for us - just the size for pocket carry for me.

To each their own I guess. I'm also a guy who wouldn't have any issue burning through 100-200 rounds per session in a J frame with an open backstrap grip, so maybe I'm a bit recoil insensitive...

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    Great thread - just picked up a CM40 and liking it so far, but have been keeping my eyes open for a Shield in .40. I'm a small guy so probably not going to pocket carry the CM40, researching IWB holsters at the moment.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I carry a CM40 every day. Though I'm not fond of 40 S&W as my favorite caliber, this little pocket rocket is a good match for a short-barreled, close in, defensive firearm.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have had both, both work, the Shield is superior IMO.

110% go with the Shield.

Mycroft

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis area
    I've shot the Kahr PM40, the XD-s (45acp) and recently, the Shield 40.
    My preference would be:
    Shield
    XD-s
    Kahr

The Shield 40 was a pleasure to shoot and easy to control. Only complaint was the mag springs were very stiff and it killed my thumb to load them.
    The XD-s was a little harder to control than the Shield, but also a pleasure to shoot.
    The Kahr was very tight and was pickier about the ammo we had.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I've shot the Kahr PM40, the XD-s (45acp) and recently, the Shield 40.
    My preference would be:
    Shield
    XD-s
    Kahr

The Shield 40 was a pleasure to shoot and easy to control. Only complaint was the mag springs were very stiff and it killed my thumb to load them.
    The XD-s was a little harder to control than the Shield, but also a pleasure to shoot.
    The Kahr was very tight and was pickier about the ammo we had.

Interesting. I'd wondered if the XD-s was easier or harder to control than the Shield 40. I've been nothing but impressed with how easy it is to shoot and control.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Let me throw this out there,
    I have a Kahr PM9 and CW9.
    As far as carrying, there is very little difference between the PM9 and the CW9.
    In my experience, the CW9 is much easier to shoot accurately than the PM9.
    I think it's because of the extra grip length. YMMV
    When I want to carry a small 9 I take the CW9.
    Since I got the CW9, the PM9 stays home.
    This wouls all apply to the CW40 as well I would think.

Unless you want to pocket carry, my vote is CW9.
    If you do want to pocket carry the small 380's (P3AT, LCP, Nano...) are better anyway

KDW77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Kahr CM40 has a very nice trigger. I like the Kahr triggers better than most as pistols. I'm voting Kahr.

Top Bottom