• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just got an email from the good Sheriff. . . .

Sheriff of Boone County
    [FONT=&quot]1905 Indianapolis Avenue[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]Lebanon[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Indiana 46052[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]PHONE: (765) 482-1412[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]INDPLS: (317) 873-5613[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]FAX: (765) 483-3370[/FONT]​
    Introduction to the Defensive Pistol

The Boone County Sheriff Department will again offer a 16 hour "Introduction to the Defensive Pistol" course to qualified applicants on [FONT=&quot]July 17-18, 2010, and October 23-24, 2010[/FONT]. It will be held at the Boone County Sheriff Firearms Range in Lebanon , IN.

Due to requests we are again offering a “Ladies Only Introduction to Defensive Pistol” course on May 22-23, 2010 and October 9-10, 2010. There is no difference in the curriculum. It is merely limited to ladies only. A small .25 or .22 caliber pistol IS NOT recommended for this course. Again, it is no different in content other than it is for ladies only.

This course is designed for the novice to the experienced male or female firearms owner. The two day course instructs the student in Mindset, Gunhandling, and Marksmanship. It is instructed by Boone County Sheriff Ken Campbell and staff. Campbell is the Boone County Sheriff, Department Senior Rangemaster, a guest Firearms Instructor at the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy , has Instructor Certification from Yavapai Firearms Academy, Ltd. (Yavapai Firearms Academy) and is an Adjunct Instructor and Rangemaster for Gunsite Academy, Inc. in Paulden , AZ. [FONT=&quot]([/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Gunsite: Home)[/FONT]

Requirements include either a valid Indiana Firearms Permit or Criminal History Report verifying the student as a "Proper Person," eye and hearing protection, a suitable pistol, approximately 400 rounds of ammunition, and tuition of $175. (As there is no fiscal impact on the Department for the course, all costs relating to the course must come from the student tuition's.)

Persons requesting additional information or references are requested to contact Sheriff Campbell at (765)483-3359 or via email at kcampbell@co.boone.in.us

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As anyone been to the class? This is something I wouldnt mind looking @ for my wife?

I haven't been to this class, but I did take Sheriff Ken's Gunsite 150 class.

From what others have said about "Intro to Defensive Pistol", it is THE class to take for beginners looking to delve into the world of carrying a gun-- especially given the price.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have been through the class. I recommend it and Sheriff Ken without reservation.

It's an excellent venue for husband/wife teams or even whole families.

It's an excellent value as well.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    I haven't been to this class, but I did take Sheriff Ken's Gunsite 150 class.

Me too! Sheriff Ken (Captain Ken when I took the class) is an Awesome teacher/instructor and his Gunsite class he had Jay Tuttle as adjunct instructor and they were both excellent!

Based on that I would think the intro class would be great training, and a bargain at that price!

Last edited by a moderator:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So I got very excited when I read this. I emailed Sheriff Campbell and was able to get an application. So I have a couple questions. Do I just email the application back to him? And how do I pay the $50 entry fee? I can't just email a check to him:). And also, how were you able to get an email to find about this anyway? If there's an emailing list, I'd like to get on it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So I got very excited when I read this. I emailed Sheriff Campbell and was able to get an application. So I have a couple questions. Do I just email the application back to him? And how do I pay the $50 entry fee? I can't just email a check to him:). And also, how were you able to get an email to find about this anyway? If there's an emailing list, I'd like to get on it.

You may want to email him back about the application and $$ questions. And in your email, ask to be put on his email list, and you'll be all set!

Have fun at class!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So could we take it together? I guess the ladies only class is ladies only and the open class is OPEN:ugh:

Yes, you could take it together in the regular version of the class. I would get your application submitted soon because the class fills quickly.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Woo, I've taken Sheriff Campbell's class (well, back then it was Captain Campbell).

In fact, I'm quoted in an article in the Indianapolis Star. Here it is:

Students in pistol course set sights on self-defense

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Students in pistol course set sights on self-defense[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]
    Boone County sheriff's officer stresses importance of proper training.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]By James A. Gillaspy
    Indianapolis Star
    May 28, 2001
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]LEBANON, Ind. -- With the midday sun boring down, Marion County probation officer Tammy Harris draws a bead. She aims for the chest. Dead center.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Even with her mark just a few feet away -- a conversational distance that characterizes most violent confrontations -- she can't be sure the slug will hit home.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]"Actually, I'd probably be better off running," said the 27-year-old Zionsville woman.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]It's a point of view many gun control advocates might share. But as Harris' husband explains, running isn't always an option.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]That's why she and 21 other civilians signed on with Boone County Sheriff's Capt. Ken Campbell. They're the latest group to take the firing line in his Introduction to the Defensive Pistol course.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]And as he studies their volley of fire against an opposing line of paper silhouettes, Campbell makes it clear that marksmanship has limited value without mindset.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]"We're talking about defending yourself, defending your family," shouts Campbell, the local SWAT commander. "Now is not the time to relax. Now is the time to stay sharp and focused."[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Make no mistake about it, Campbell's class is about shooting people. He wants shooters able to drop flesh-and-blood aggressors, not just paper torsos.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]A quick grasp, smooth rise, unflinching sight picture and controlled pulls of the trigger. Bingo -- two slugs, center mass, in less than two seconds. That's Campbell's goal. To be able to kill if the situation calls for it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]"This is an introduction to the defensive pistol," says Campbell, who regards the handgun as a survival tool that most folks just store in a drawer or target shoot for sport. "You can defend yourself with it. And that's what this is."[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]With the support of then-Boone County Sheriff Ern Hudson, Campbell created his pistol course in 1999 after residents applying for handgun permits also sought training. To Campbell, Hudson and current Sheriff Dennis Brannon, a lack of training could mean a lack of appreciation for the awesome responsibility of handgun ownership.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]And that, Campbell said, can get innocent people hurt.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]"A firearm is an inanimate object. And I'm a firm believer that there is no inanimate object that can cause harm to anybody," he explains. "It's the operator. So, we need to teach the operators how to have that respect."[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Betsy Galloway, a 39-year-old emergency management consultant, shares Campbell's views. She thinks the best route to side arm responsibility is through training that stresses a gun's main purpose -- as a potentially lethal form of protection -- and the precautions necessary to ensure its proper use.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]In a culture that glamorizes violence, she hopes to pass along what she learns about the deadly threat that guns pose. But more as a mother than as a consultant: She wants her 11-year-old son and 13-year-old daughter to benefit from her training with handguns.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]"I don't want them to abuse them and to think that that's an answer to their problem," said Galloway, an emergency medical technician who learned how precious life is the first time a patient died. "I think I have to know how to be responsible about it, so I can communicate that to them."[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]When it comes to firearms in the household, the Indiana Partnership to Prevent Firearm Violence agrees.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]"In fact, it's best that the whole family is trained," said Patricia Lau, director of the campaign to reduce the rate of Hoosier injuries and deaths due to firearms.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]The partnership, established by the Indiana University School of Medicine, views gun-related violence as a public health concern. And Lau said programs such as Campbell's are "very important" to the campaign.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]"Everyone in the household should be trained in how to handle and how to store a firearm," she said, including children. "If they're not trained to handle them carefully, oftentimes there will be an unintentional shooting."[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Proper handling, Lau said, is one of the "pieces of knowledge that people should have when they purchase a firearm."[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]In the partnership's statewide survey last year, 83 percent of respondents agreed that safety training on handling and storing firearms should be required by law for all first-time gun buyers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]As part of its directive to curtail gun-related casualties, the group is trying to determine the circumstances of all such shootings. Although statistics with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show Indiana to have the highest rate of gun-related deaths in the Upper Midwest, Lau said, numbers alone may be misleading.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]"Over half of the firearms-related deaths are suicide," said Lau, citing CDC statistics that identify 427 of 764 shooting deaths in Indiana in 1998 as self-inflicted.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]The 1998 statistics, the latest available, also show Indiana's death toll from gunfire that year to be the state's lowest in seven years.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Lafayette attorney Kirk Freeman, who heard about Campbell's defensive pistol course while defending a suspected Boone County drug dealer, embraced the 16-hour class as a professional approach to personal protection and gun safety.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]"You train because you don't want to do it," Freeman said of the course and the chance he might pull a pistol in earnest. "The best indicator of good training is avoidance. It's never a Kung Fu master who gets in a fight in the bar."[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]But like Campbell, when push comes to shove, he believes the best defense is a good offense.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]"If anything goes wrong, hey, what do I have to worry about?" says Freeman. "I know what to do, and I've got the means to do it."[/FONT]

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i worked with sheriff ken(back when he was captain ken and sheriff ern were in town). i highly recommend this class for anyone with any skill level. ken is an outstanding insructor and one of the finest LEOs you will ever meet. the range at BCSD is top notch as well. its worth every penny you put into it!

shftn6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    NW Monroe Co.
    Myself and a buddy also have deposits in as well - several weeks ago. Haven't heard anything back yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    I have taken this course and would recommend it to anyone.I am 50 yrs old and have been around firearms all my life and was humbled by this course.I learned alot.

newguyjosh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    A buddy and I are signed up for July course. Recieved our notifications on Monday. We can't wait...July is too far away. I have heard nothing but great things here and on thefiringline

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Does anyone know if all the notifications have been sent? I have not heard and have not received notice of my check being cashed. This is my first time to try something like this. I did not get a response to an email about the course so thought I would ask here too. Thanks.

Top Bottom