• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I went to do some cabling at our church that was built in the 70s. I discovered that at least the common wall between the hallway and the office is sheet rock over plywood. Why would somebody do that?

I assume noise insulation? Why not double rock it? That always how I’ve done it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Church = Volunteers = Mystery Construction
    Brother, you dont know the HALF of it. Like the plumbing nightmare Im dealing with. They added on a fellowship hall and full kitchen back in the early 80s. Afterwards they realized they needed a water heater in that wing because it takes a while for 200 linear feet of water line to deliver hot water.

So they installed a water heater in the kitchen which is at the farthest point. They ran some grey (now "outlawed") flexible tubing and ran it across the fellowship hall to where the water comes in at the bathrooms to supply the heater. They then ran another hose from the new heater ALL the way back to the feed line instead of tapping the hot side where it was capped off 5' away and reversing the flow. So now it takes only 100' of water line to deliver hot water to the kitchen sinks. :facepalm: I'm going to have them reverse the flow of hot when they install the new heaters next week. (I considered demand heaters, but due to insanely hard water, we'd destroy them with lime scale buildup.)

And don't forget them being too cheap to build the building just 1 block taller to give us better ceiling height. Because of that they installed the drop ceiling so close to the rafters that they had to slide the tiles in as they installed the grid. (using piano wire and securing each square on at least 3 sides) Now we cant replace damaged tiles because you cant lift them up and out without destroying them, even if you could work it past the wire obstructions on each side.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Was the building something else before it was used as a church? I have seen a lot of plywood offices in warehouse, or shop use buildings because drywall is too easy to damage.

I have intervened in many projects in church buildings where good hearted people just don't know how it is supposed to be done in a commercial building. ESPECIALLY Electric, Plumbing and HVAC. They are usually proud of how cheap they did it, not even realizing that is how you burn places to the ground.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Was the building something else before it was used as a church? I have seen a lot of plywood offices in warehouse, or shop use buildings because drywall is too easy to damage.

I have intervened in many projects in church buildings where good hearted people just don't know how it is supposed to be done in a commercial building. ESPECIALLY Electric, Plumbing and HVAC. They are usually proud of how cheap they did it, not even realizing that is how you burn places to the ground.
    Nope. Built by the church for the church. It was 10 acres of land when they bought the property.

Reactions: Leo

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I knew a guy who did that to his closets so he can hang whatever wherever. Maybe that was their reason?
    You know, that's not a bad idea...

Isn’t drywall considered a fire retardant? May be code related.
    Type X drywall is. Usually one or two layers depending on the requirement.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You know, that's not a bad idea...

Type X drywall is. Usually one or two layers depending on the requirement.
    I believe 5/8 is to code for fire for residential, not sure for a church.

I any of you have seen all those attic access holes in the garage ceilings that the hole is filled with drywall, plywood is stronger for the door purposes but drywall meets fire code…

Reactions: Leo

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I believe 5/8 is to code for fire for residential, not sure for a church.

I any of you have seen all those attic access holes in the garage ceilings that the hole is filled with drywall, plywood is stronger for the door purposes but drywall meets fire code…
    Mine is drywall.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Soooo much truth here.
    Best of intentions and the worst results in HVAC especially.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Brother, you dont know the HALF of it. Like the plumbing nightmare Im dealing with. They added on a fellowship hall and full kitchen back in the early 80s. Afterwards they realized they needed a water heater in that wing because it takes a while for 200 linear feet of water line to deliver hot water.

So they installed a water heater in the kitchen which is at the farthest point. They ran some grey (now "outlawed") flexible tubing and ran it across the fellowship hall to where the water comes in at the bathrooms to supply the heater. They then ran another hose from the new heater ALL the way back to the feed line instead of tapping the hot side where it was capped off 5' away and reversing the flow. So now it takes only 100' of water line to deliver hot water to the kitchen sinks. :facepalm: I'm going to have them reverse the flow of hot when they install the new heaters next week. (I considered demand heaters, but due to insanely hard water, we'd destroy them with lime scale buildup.)

And don't forget them being too cheap to build the building just 1 block taller to give us better ceiling height. Because of that they installed the drop ceiling so close to the rafters that they had to slide the tiles in as they installed the grid. (using piano wire and securing each square on at least 3 sides) Now we cant replace damaged tiles because you cant lift them up and out without destroying them, even if you could work it past the wire obstructions on each side.
    Ain't nothing so expensive as free labor

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Have a place that had a shoddy addition added to it decades before. Had some issues so pulled all the sheetrock and flooring out. Replaced the joists and some of the studs.

I ended up putting osb on the exterior walls to help stabilize the place. It worked wonderfully. The bonus was being able to install the TP holder, robe hook, towel holder and shelves easily.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Church = Volunteers = Mystery Construction
    This is why I try to avoid jobs in churches.

Last church I was in had the attic access over the stair well. Up to this room where you had to go up another level to reach the space above the worship area where 2 hvac systems were. I probably stepped on 50 pigeon eggs and as many dead birds.

Top Bottom