• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    its funny, how if you contradict the popular media with FACT, a differing opinion, or news that's not delivered on Good Morning America... you're labeled a ****in nutjob...

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I read an article that discussed this. The AT-4 is not a reloadable weapon; once it has been fired it a new rocket cannot be fired from the tube, and is therefore no longer considered a weapon. Apparently the military doesn't issue them like regular weapons (rifles, pistols, etc); instead, they treat it as a round of ammunition. Once the rocket is launched it cannot be used again, so the tubes are discarded or occasionally brought back home as a souvenir.

Furthermore, the rocket launchers in this video are trainers; they were never loaded with rockets to begin with. They are used to train soldiers in the operation of the weapon without actually firing a rocket. The LAPD bought some very fancy pvc tubes.

Linky Link

Cj52racers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I read an article that discussed this. The AT-4 is not a reloadable weapon; once it has been fired it a new rocket cannot be fired from the tube, and is therefore no longer considered a weapon. Apparently the military doesn't issue them like regular weapons (rifles, pistols, etc); instead, they treat it as a round of ammunition. Once the rocket is launched it cannot be used again, so the tubes are discarded or occasionally brought back home as a souvenir.

Furthermore, the rocket launchers in this video are trainers; they were never loaded with rockets to begin with. They are used to train soldiers in the operation of the weapon without actually firing a rocket. The LAPD bought some very fancy pvc tubes.

Linky Link
    Yup, I have seen these in surplus stores and are generally pretty cheap. Stopped at a mil-surp store in Missouri last year and saw some old AT-4 tubes for $50-80. Somebody made some good money on those thanks to the tax payers and people who don't know what they are talking about.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Came back to add that I see that these used tubes are sold on gunbroker and Army-Navy mil surplus stores, too.

Also note that the douchebag is holding a training tube. That's what the yellow and black band indicates. It shoots a tiny round to simulate firing an actual rocket because the trajectories are supposed to be similar with much, much less cost.

LA bought an expensive piece of PVC. :laugh:

6a00d8341c630a53ef017ee6b2099e970d-640wi

Last edited:

XSVskill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Decatur, IN
    Came back to add that I see that these used tubes are sold on gunbroker, too.

Also note that the douchebag is holding a training tube. That's what the yellow and black band indicates. It shoots a tiny round to simulate firing an actual rocket because the trajectories are supposed to be similar with much, much less cost.

LA bought an expensive piece of PVC. :laugh:

6a00d8341c630a53ef017ee6b2099e970d-640wi

yep it fires a 9mm tracer type round that supposedly has the same trajectory as the rocket.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    to me it says a captain (whatever rank, I don't know LEO pips) is having an exchange with a plainclothes officer.

captain - "the rocket goes out this way, in the direction of my hand."

officer - "oh gotcha. so you say, in the direction of your hand right? didn't know that part"

IndyTacoma

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Avon
    The lack of education is killing me. The media has no idea what they are reporting. They see anything that looks military and report it as evil.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    They're not illegal? We're talking about California. There's probably guys doing time there for for possessing an unregistered squirt gun:rolleyes:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The lack of education is killing me. The media has no idea what they are reporting. They see anything that looks military and report it as evil.
    If you know the facts of any news event first-hand you know that the news media usually get the story wrong. It doesn't have to be about guns, but with their anti-gun agenda they want to portray guns as evil devices and people who own them as nut jobs.

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    Mayor

I'm glad you guys noticed that AT-4 and it's non-functionality for the past several days I've been wondering how they got that and more importantly WHY would they turn it in?!? Knowing someone was just fleecing the system as per usual makes more sense. In reference to the fella the Captain is talking to I believe that is Antonio Villaraigosa the Mayor of LA (could be wrong though), he appears impressed with what his officers have accomplished :banana:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I couldn't watch the video, but here is one in text. It looks like they know what they have.

"Det. Gus Villanueva said the launchers were "stripped-down shells" without the technical parts needed to discharge a projectile. "They don't have capability to discharge anything anymore," he said.

Los Angeles police gun experts will be checking the origins of these weapons with the U.S. military to see if they were ever stolen, he said."

Rocket launchers turned in during L.A. gun buyback not functional - Los Angeles Times

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A big pile of junk you'd be scared to shoot a round through with a submachine pistol on top. That's what most buy-backs are. This one had a rocket-launcher. The LAPD would know if they were being engaged by AT-4s.
    I saw an interview with a lady turning in 2 shotguns (1 single shot, one pump, not an 870 or M12, looked like an Ithica), she was probably a home invasion victim last night since the bad guys watch TV too.

cotter999

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I couldnt agree more. Its bad enough they are pushing this, but when people who know you and you are friends with start quoting it back to you like it is gospel because it was in the news, it gets ugly.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Funny stuff there!:laugh: By the way, there was some nice iron laying on some of those tables. Big money stuff. No doubt it was in the minority but still. I also noticed their so called "security expert" was definitely not a expert at anything weapons related. He made himself look like an ignorant a-- IMO.

Top Bottom