• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    Just got home from the Sharonville gunshow. WOW was it busy. AK and AR guns was crazy. Shootguns and handguns was alittle high but alot was selling. Ammo and mags was selling very fast.

Silver Bear 7.62x39 ammo was selling for $200 for 500 rds. The Wolf ammo was $160 for 500 rds. Has that ammo gone up that much? I bought 1000 rds for $100 a couple years ago.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The only reason that ammo is that crazy is because there are enough panic buyers who are crazy enough to pay that money. I heard one friend say he didn't feel right unless he had over 10,000 rounds on hand!!! Really?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Yep, really!

The only reason that ammo is that crazy is because there are enough panic buyers who are crazy enough to pay that money. I heard one friend say he didn't feel right unless he had over 10,000 rounds on hand!!! Really?

I have well over 10K rds of ammo. That does include 11 different calibers and over half of it is rimfire! On a good 2-day prairie dog shoot the better half and I will go through near 3000 rds. I've only got 2 trips booked for this year, though. :)

That's not panic buying, indykid. That's routine!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have well over 10K rds of ammo. That does include 11 different calibers and over half of it is rimfire! On a good 2-day prairie dog shoot the better half and I will go through near 3000 rds. I've only got 2 trips booked for this year, though. :)

You missed my point because I wasn't clear about it. I meant 10,000 rounds of one caliber. Having 5 calibers totalling 10,000 rounds if fine, but 10K of one is a bit much. That is my less than humble opinion.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars

Nodnod. Lars and I were doing lots of training and practicing last year. I don't think we ever got up to 10k in the house at one time, but I know we had about 4k stocked up once and constantly rotated because we were going through it so fast.... And that WAS just one caliber (the almighty 9mm!).

kjonesel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Palmyra
    Every show has been that way

I went to the Salem show last weekend and it was the same way, but it was slower that the show there in December.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Situations

Ammo on hand depends on what kind of shooting you do and the caliber selections. Prairie doggin' is done in a very target-rich environment and requires multiple rifles. My shooting revolves around it. 90% is either prairie doggin' or preparing for prairie doggin'. Going to Crosley tomorrow morning, for example. I'm taking 5 guns of 5 different calibers and all but one of them will go with me to South Dakota in May. The exception is a new CZ 452 in .22lr which just needs to be shot.

Then there's that danged 10/22 addiction. I need to get rid of some of them frackin' things to make room for more CZs! Then I might only need 1K rds of .22lr. :dunno:

DRob

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I guess I would be curious what the average would be in our group as to how much ammo they are ... what was the word... ah , hoarding. I would probably be around 15k spread amongst all my guns. But probably 4k or so would be .22 and about that much or more in .223/5.56. But I have seen some people on other boards at least claiming to have 15-20k in just .223/5.56 or 7.62 NATO. Part of my problem is I guess I have so many different calibers.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Just remember, everyone.

All of that ammo doesn't do you any good if you don't have the balls to use it.

Off-topic quote: "Most sports require one ball; skydiving requires both."

Top Bottom