• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    With all the medical advancements we have made, you would think there would be a cure that's readily accessible to everyone.

There is a cure: the paleolithic diet. Get rid of grains, beans, legumes, and dairy to avoid the arthritis and diabetes altogether. I know that type II has been cured through diet, but I'm not sure about type I.

One major plus is you can have all the bacon you want. :rockwoot:

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    nothing for type one... what i learned when i was diagnosed at 18 was basicly you just stop making insulin all together. i have tried the diff. grip wraps and sometimes seem to work, but sometimes they dont. i guess the only thing to do would to be maybe take a day or to and try some of the shooting positions that some of you have told me... there seems to be a simple method to all this madness that im going through. i've tried the whole suger testing and tried different ranges as well, as bad as it sounds i find that i can shoot great around the 200 range...(tell my doc that and he'll freak).. but still.. i think that if i get a chance this weekend i will spend it doing nothing but shooting and trying diff. techniques. im hoping and preying that something will work out.

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    Well, i am 51....this didn't onset with me until I was 45, or at least that was when it was diagnosed.

When I was young, tight groupings were never an issue....now days, it's a bit tougher.

If I go shoot 100 rounds.....my last 25 aren't nearly as good as my first 25.

The good news is, that in most self defense situations, I shouldn't need to shoot 75 rounds. :)

Besides, I only have enough clip space for 34 rounds ....:dunno:

thats my problem! i get about 50 through and then the pattern just goes to :noway:... i noticed that im starting to have mor fly aways now as well ( unless im just double tapping and they are hitting the same hole)... hope i can remedy this...

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    Caffeine free coke here. Helps but still the sugar issue that Im not supposed to have. I survive on Powerade Zero and water.

You could always just check sugar level each time you go and see where you shoot the best. May not be in the exact spectrum the doctor recommends.

Glad the OP started this thread. Maybe Ill try a couple breaks in between shooting.

Caffeine will kill Blood Pressure. I had insomnia for about 20 years and hardly slept. Reason was caffeine. Since I got away from that, I sleep most nights and all night. I drug around every day and feel so much better. But a can of regular Coke will usually give me a headache the following day. BP is on the threshold of havng to up the meds.

+1 to low carb gatorade & powerade zero.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I can't speak knowledgeably about the other issues, but I know something about diabetes. I had a sudden idiopathic onset onset of Type 1 when I was 31 years old. I went from being completely normal to being totally insulin dependent in a matter of a few weeks. That was over 13 years ago. I can't say I'm an expert but I've learned a lot during that time.

I'm sure you are aware that shakiness is a common symptom of low blood sugar. I would strongly recommend that you test your blood sugar and take appropriate action immediately when you experience these symptoms. Everyone is different but as a general rule, low blood sugar and firearms are not a safe combination. Please don't interpret this as an admonition, consider it just friendly advice from someone that's gone through it. You are responsible for making sure your condition does not create an unsafe situation for yourself and those around you. I don't know if you've experienced this yet or not, but if your blood sugar gets too low your ability to think and react properly can be inhibited. Sometimes you may not even realize how much.

I do service calls for a living. There have been multiple times when I had difficulty diagnosing what normally would be a simple problem due to low blood sugar. Once I realize what is happening, I take a short break and deal with it. Usually a small snack and 10-15 minutes is all it takes. I look at the problem again and the solution is right in front of me. I do the same thing when I'm shooting. If I feel any symptoms I stop what I'm doing and deal with it.

If you are able to determine that your symptoms are caused by low blood sugar, and you are shooting well otherwise, no special grip or different type of weapon is going to make you a better ,or more importantly, a safer shooter.

Again, this is just friendly advice from a genuinely concerned forum member. So please, if you don't feel "right", put the firearm down and make yourself safe for your own sake and that of those around you.
    :twocents:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Suprtek, I'd like to feel that I can speak for the others on this. You are correct. If you find me at the range you would also notice that I have a cooler either with me or in the truck. I always have food on me when I plan on being away from food. Even if its just an hour (I have emergency food at work). Usually lunchables and a candy bar. These are not the quickest to achieve the desired results, but just what I use. Like you I notice it and give it time.

If you cannot remember things like your address or phone number-seek immediate help. I have only been there once, I was driving. Bad deal all around. Shakes, sweats, anger are all signs.

I will also shake when BS is too high. Not just low.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Work nights for 13 years and you to can become a COFFEE ADDICT!! :D
    I don't think I had a cup of coffee until I was around 30 years old.

I HATED coffee until I was almost 30. Now I try to limit myself to 4 pots a day - often successfully. I've tried cutting down, but the headaches are blinding, and advil does NOTHING for them!!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I am a caffeine addict. To date, I don't know what it feels like to not hold a shaking (to some degree) gun. Every target I've ever hit is the product of shaking hands and eye protection that's not my prescription glasses... I bet if I wore my real glasses and took Dogman's advice about cutting caffeine, I'd be a good shot! (Except whenever I've tried the "no caffeine" route, I've gotten blinding headaches...like I said; "addict".)

Right there with you. Several years ago I weaned off drinking any calories to thin down, and couldn't quite do the diet drink thing. About a week later after the blinding headaches subsided (I should have stayed off the juice at that point), I discovered Diet Mt Dew and its been downhill ever since.

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    Suprtek and 85t5mcss, i completely understand where you both are coming from. i always at the least have a regular gatorade with me. and i have always standed by the 15 min rule. as posted above i like to run about 200 so i dont have to worry about drops. im on a pump so 15min or so before im done shooting i dose myself and by the time i finish im at a respectable level(usually around 150). and i agree, always atleast have a candybar or some hard candy with you, some suger is better than none.

and also Suprtek, thats what happened to me. first onset was that i was going #1 alot. drinking water and hitting the head in that order. didnt think that much of it... it was hot out. and in a matter of 2 weeks i had lost 46lbs and before it was all done and over with went from 200 to 140 and im 6.2

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    Right there with you. Several years ago I weaned off drinking any calories to thin down, and couldn't quite do the diet drink thing. About a week later after the blinding headaches subsided (I should have stayed off the juice at that point), I discovered Diet Mt Dew and its been downhill ever since.

lol diet mt. dew was my down fall but... i try to stay on water... but i need my fix sometimes:n00b:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    With all the medical advancements we have made, you would think there would be a cure that's readily accessible to everyone.[/QUOTE]
    The only "Cure' for Osteoarthritis is be kind to your body when you are younger. Other wise its usally a Steroid injection at the specific joint,(which I could use one in my right ankle right now) joint fusion surgery, or total joint replacement. I tried to get a artificial Thumb Joint instead of the fusion. But my Indiana Hand To Shoulder Center surgeon saind the ony atrificial thumb joints they do are theones they take out because they fail. It seems those joint replacements aren't designed to take a lot of stress and will break or come loose. And the Steroid injection work pretty well If you can stand them. The stuff has to be deeply injected in to the Specific joint. and some people can't hack it. I can because the relief is worth it. Last one in my ankle lasted almost 6 months. But also there is only so many you can get for one joint, because too many will begin to break down the connecting tissues. :(

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    There is a cure: the paleolithic diet. Get rid of grains, beans, legumes, and dairy to avoid the arthritis and diabetes altogether. I know that type II has been cured through diet, but I'm not sure about type I.

One major plus is you can have all the bacon you want. :rockwoot:
    No and it never will be, they are a different beast altogether.

To the OP, my Daughter is type 1 and we always check her blood sugar before we shoot. Frankly, she always maintains her sugar levels properly. Do you? Then there is changes in vision and the sights you use now.

I would also not base any issues I had in shooting on the use of a G23. Go with a friend and try a G19, G17 or even a G34. Perhaps with better sights too, not sure what you run now? You are familiar with Glocks and if you can afford it keep your 23 and just add a bigger gun to give you better platform to practice with, carry and use as a home gun.

Even those who own all the 9mm Glock models tend not to do their practice with the G23. In the 9mm Glocks I find the 23 redundant as the 19 carries just as well, is larger, shoots better and has higher capacity. You may find that as well.

Go to Ossip or any eye doctor who can do it, and get an image taken of the back of your eyes. It will help to document any changes in your eyes which is an issue for you as well being Type 1

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Work nights for 13 years and you to can become a COFFEE ADDICT!! :D
    I don't think I had a cup of coffee until I was around 30 years old.

I have worked nights for the last 12 so I know what you mean. I love the smell of coffee just not the taste. I guess pops were my only option then.

Working nights sucks!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and my daughter is a Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetic. We both shoot. Neither of us have both diseases.

Arthritis does not make me/my hands shake. It makes them weak. It makes it hard for me to lift a coffee cup let alone a gun. It makes it difficult to handle recoil on some days, makes my hands/wrists hurt for days after a long shooting session if I over did it, or if I was not careful, etc. But shaking has never been a problem.

So from my perspective the need to switch to a thin grip is not primary or needed due to the disease. In fact I find it more comfortable to shoot a fat gripped gun like a Para USA double stack 1911 than I do to shoot a narrow gripped gun. Most of my 1911 pistols wear somewhat fatter grips, but not all of them fit that category. I think the weight of the gun (1911's are heavy) makes more of a difference. FWIW, my daily carry guns tend to be all steel 1911 pistols.

Now my daughter finds that she can shoot anything that she can wrap her hand around, but having smaller hands than I do, she prefers slightly smaller frames. The shaking, in her case, is related very directly to her blood sugar score. Too low and she has muscle shakes. Too high and she gets headaches, can't focus and that can lead to a different type of shake.

Seems to me you need to find a gun and caliber that is best for you when you are having no arthritis flare up and your blood sugar is regulated. In my case I like both 9mm and 45acp. The 9mm for its very low recoil. The 45 for its slow, heavy, rolling recoil. While ammo like the 40S&W or the 357 both have a harsh/sharp recoil that tends to create pain in my hands/wrists. Heavier guns are also something I favor simply because the gun's weight absorbs some of the impulse energy of the recoil, while light polymer guns tend to be less balanced as the weight is up in the slide and the guns tend to rotate in my wrist more than steel framed guns.

Hope that helps.

totally agree on that one. steroids to help a person with RA = super high blood suger with a type one diabetic. there answer to my problem PAIN KILLERS... a bunch of em...
    BTW, if you are on long term steroids then find a new Rheumatologist. I was diagnosed with RA when I was 24, have lived with this disease for over half my life, very rarely have I ever had steroids. I admit they work well when they are taken, but they are a very short term (and very dangerous) solution.

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    With all the medical advancements we have made, you would think there would be a cure that's readily accessible to everyone.
    The only "Cure' for Osteoarthritis is be kind to your body when you are younger. Other wise its usally a Steroid injection at the specific joint,(which I could use one in my right ankle right now) joint fusion surgery, or total joint replacement. I tried to get a artificial Thumb Joint instead of the fusion. But my Indiana Hand To Shoulder Center surgeon saind the ony atrificial thumb joints they do are theones they take out because they fail. It seems those joint replacements aren't designed to take a lot of stress and will break or come loose. And the Steroid injection work pretty well If you can stand them. The stuff has to be deeply injected in to the Specific joint. and some people can't hack it. I can because the relief is worth it. Last one in my ankle lasted almost 6 months. But also there is only so many you can get for one joint, because too many will begin to break down the connecting tissues. :([/QUOTE]

its funny that you mention joint replacement. talked to my RA doc and he told me that it was a high possibility that i would have at least my knees replaced by the time that i'm 30. steroid injections didnt help me. had 3 done in my left shoulder and every one wore off in around 2 weeks, give or take. it helped my knees though. and i will agree with you that the relief is deff. worth it!

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    ok, to be blunt i will tell you all that i have wrong with me, i just dont want anyone to think that i am some high sugared lunatic running around with a gun... just kidding everone, i know that we are all a very tight knit group of folks that are genuinely good, and caring people. as you all know i have RA, T1 diabetis, but i also have sarcoidosis(if your cureous look it up, its hard to explain...) and neutrapenia( wich basicly causes me to have absolutely no immune system, people that have a cold that can get over it within a week, it takes me a month) and it is all a bloody mess. i have a DR that i have to go to once a week to get a shot just to keep my immune system up... basicly i keep my blood suger at the range my doc wants it at 125-150. he has told me that that would be best for me at this time, and i do wich is not all that hard since i am on a pump. i may have a few times that its a little higher ( whether i am sick or i just ate some junk that i wasnt supposed to), but it happens. i try to keep my sugars at optimum levels when i shoot as close to in my range as possible but i also find that i run good around the 200 mark too. no problems with eye sight i get checked every 6 months. still setting at 20/20. i guess what im looking for is some perspective from any one who has RA, or as close as you can get to it, or diabetis 1/2 and get some shooting tips or techniques.

also, i did go shooting today. thanks to all of you that gave me shooting techniques and tips, i did find that with a little longer rest than normal and using the techiques that yall have said to try and use, that i was grouping better than i have in a year and was able to run about 250rnds with no problem. every group was pritty tight, with the fly away every now and then but it was awesome.

davidparrish60

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Galveston, IN
    I have Osteo arthrits and have some of the same issues. Had to have my left thumb fused last year to releive the pain. I've found that on ocasion I do better by bending at the elbows and some what bracing my triceps in my sides and ribcage, this allwos my elbows to act like hinges for the recoil and I don't get real tired and don't start shaking as soon. I also sometimes wear Bicycle gloves these have padding in the palm area and help absorb recoil and my hands don't hurt as much when I'm done shooting. I shoot every thing from .22 up to 45acp. Double and single stack and fo me it dose not matter which I still hurt and shake. The only other thing you may try if it's in the budget is to find a nother gun that feels better in your hand. Good Luck!

+1 to you pinshooter45, i tried your technique and had outstanding results! i also found that shooting more from a "tactical" stance help too. my knees are killing me but... I SHOT WELL!!!:rockwoot:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    BTW I was watching one of the shooting shows I DVR on a regular basis. And was suprised to see that they recomend trying Bicycle Gloves if you can't find Shooting glove that work for you. When I shoot my AR15 I always use a bicycle gloves in my right hand because I have "Big Paws" and the padding helps me get my trigger finger in the correct position and I get better trigger control. The same holds true for handguns, although I still need to practice more than I do to see if it helps my grouping.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    For shakeyness you can try a beta-blocker. Talk to your doctor and he may tell you to take 20mg 30 minutes prior to shooting ant it may help. It does with a condition know as essential tremor as well as other nerve issues.

Propranolol is the best for this and it is generic. $4 script at walmart

Top Bottom