• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And I'm pretty sure I'm preaching to the choir, but expect a learning curve. My wife is a skilled [STRIKE]sewer[/STRIKE] seamstress and when she decided to make a custom backpack for herself there were several false starts along the way. Strap fit as it related to how the pack hung on the back seemed to be a particularly sticky spot. When she finally got everything to her liking, though, she loves it. She said none of the commercial packs she had had were ever exactly what she wanted. Good luck.

Last edited:

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    No, you do not need an industrial sewing machine. I have been sewing 1000D Cordura on a Singer portable machine I paid $50 for for 20 years. I use an upholstery needle and heavy thread and go slow. I have made 30' long boat blinds for duck hunting, decoy bags and more smaller accessories than I can count.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As a former sewing machine repairman(15 years) and store owner I will tell to stay away from Singer, brother and any and all sewing machines sold in big box stores. Go to a real sewing machine store and get a quality machine. You will pay a lot but will last for ever with out fear of trouble. I own Elna and Pfaff machines as well as a 1940's gear driven Siger for real heavy work. have had all for over 25 years and I have never had to work on any of them.

I have ZERO expert knowledge on sewing equipment. The wife wanted to take sewing classes a few years back. We bought the best Brother sewing Machine at Walmart. It seemed like it was really straining even on simple cloth, and quit working before the 9 week classes were over. They did warranty the repair, but she had to borrow another machine to finish the class. After it came back we opened it and it seemed to work. Then we taped the box shut and moved. It has been in storage since 2011 and not given us any trouble since.

If you are actually going to keep using one, don't buy one at a discount store.

Rarejewell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Metro Indy
    My husband has an Elna, Husky Serger, and a Pfaff. He also has a handful of older singers. He sews leather and canvas with his Pfaff and uses the other for lighter material. And yes he knows I am posting this. He has also made sun dresses for his daughter, an apron for me, and offered to alter my wedding dress. I said no of course. He wasn't supposed see me in it before the wedding so that meant he couldn't alter it for me.

mike46060

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hamilton Co.
    There is a place in Noblesville that sells rebuilt sewing machines. the guy that owns it is in his 80's and still works everyday. he used to do uphostery and has a lot of heavier singer sewing machines. none of the new plastic walmart crap, but the heavy 100+ year old machines. he's not in it to get rich so the prices are pretty good too.

Top Bottom