• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I am getting back into reloading and have the choice of setting up in a couple areas. I have a detached 1 car garage that's not air conditioned but is heated for winter or I can set up in the house in the laundry room. The laundry room is big and has the washer/dryer/sink (the water heater is in another room) My question is it ok to keep powder/ primers in an area with the washing machine? Also, would it be ok to store them in the workshop with no AC in the summer?

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Go for the garage...

You can have yourself a "man cave" to get away from whoever is bugging you lol. And you can always put a small window AC unit in it for the summer if you want. And even if your dont do that you components will be just fine. Just might suck for you when it gets hot outside.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    The lack of AC in the garage won't matter much if you plan ahead. Stock up on components in the hot months, reload in the cold months. That is my plan, anyways. It's not really working so far though, as I seem to be shooting all my components up as fast as I can load them. :(

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Rather than make a whole thread I thought I'd just tag this along here.

I am doing some starter research into reloading, and I was wondering if a non permanent setup ever works out? I live in a one bedroom apartment (probably will for the next two-three years) and thus don't have room for a permanent bench setup. I do have a large dining room table though that I would setup equipment on for a few days or an evening/afternoon while I reload.

I was just curious if this type of setup ever works, or if presses need to be mounted to the surface they are being used on.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Rather than make a whole thread I thought I'd just tag this along here.

I am doing some starter research into reloading, and I was wondering if a non permanent setup ever works out? I live in a one bedroom apartment (probably will for the next two-three years) and thus don't have room for a permanent bench setup. I do have a large dining room table though that I would setup equipment on for a few days or an evening/afternoon while I reload.

I was just curious if this type of setup ever works, or if presses need to be mounted to the surface they are being used on.

Yes!
    I don't have a dedicated reloading space either.
    Every time I want to reload, I have to start from scratch setting up a Black & Decker Workmate bench, bolt my table top to it, bolt my press down, bolt my powder measure down, etc.. Then when I'm done, I have to tear it all down and stow it.
    But...It WORKS.

inontheact.jpg

All my junk gets stored in here;

outside.jpg

/threadjack

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yes!
    I don't have a dedicated reloading space either.
    Every time I want to reload, I have to start from scratch setting up a Black & Decker Workmate bench, bolt my table top to it, bolt my press down, bolt my powder measure down, etc.. Then when I'm done, I have to tear it all down and stow it.
    But...It WORKS...

That is encouraging to hear indeed! I will have to look into a compactable workspace so I can still mount things down and go from there. Wife would be upset if I drilled holes into her dining room table :P Thanks for sharing, sorry for the threadjack OP.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    That is encouraging to hear indeed! I will have to look into a compactable workspace so I can still mount things down and go from there. Wife would be upset if I drilled holes into her dining room table :P Thanks for sharing, sorry for the threadjack OP.

Get a 2x4 and some C-clamps. Bolt the press to the 2x4, and then clamp it to the kitchen table, coffee table, stray cat, whatever you can find.

You can even line the bottom of the 2x4 with felt, that way you don't mar up the surface of the cat. :cool:

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Get a 2x4 and some C-clamps. Bolt the press to the 2x4, and then clamp it to the kitchen table, coffee table, stray cat, whatever you can find.

You can even line the bottom of the 2x4 with felt, that way you don't mar up the surface of the cat. :cool:

Hmmm, we were talking about getting a kitten after vacation, this may just be the solution I was looking for! :P

Seriously though, thanks for the 2x4 idea.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Go for the garage. You can always buy a window ac. Plus, having your own dedicated space to yourself is something you will never go back on. Keep your powders and delicate stuff inside the house, and just bring it out to the garage when your ready to reload

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Build a "fire box" for your powder and primers.
    firebox_02.jpg

firebox_01.jpg

2" or greater box all around + some drywall on the inside and you will be good 2 go based on the national fire standard codes. Your home owner's insurance or fire dept can't frown on you for it.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    firebox_02.jpg

firebox_01.jpg

2" or greater box all around + some drywall on the inside and you will be good 2 go based on the national fire standard codes. Your home owner's insurance or fire dept can't frown on you for it.

Thanks for that idea! Learn something new everyday! :rockwoot:

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis

On the note of insurance, do any of you make your insurance companies aware that you reload so that you can confirm your policy would cover a powder fire, or do you just leave it be?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Hmmm, interesting stuff on the "fire box". Can you quote a fire code that suggests using such a sturdily constructed box to store powders? (I'd need several of those, to store the powder I keep in a standard wall-mounted cabinet, and that doesn't include the larger containers that wouldn't even fit one in the box.) The only real requirement for powder storage is that it not be a confined space, where pressure can build up. A regular cabinet, with hinged doors, works just fine?

Powder%2520Supply.JPG

As long as you have less than "x" amount of powder, it doesn't have to be declared. If you're loading for a handful of cartridges and never have more than 5-10# on hand at any time, you're good.

The Lee reloading stand has a fairly small footprint and since you can easily remove the press, it's a breeze to set up and tear down for a reloading session.

Lee Reloading Stand, Presses & Dies, Reloading, Shooting : Cabela's

For the OP: Moisture/humidity is a serious concern for reloading, so definitely go with the garage. That's where I've been set up in all of the places I've lived over the last 25 years I've been reloading.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hmmm, interesting stuff on the "fire box". Can you quote a fire code that suggests using such a sturdily constructed box to store powders? (I'd need several of those, to store the powder I keep in a standard wall-mounted cabinet, and that doesn't include the larger containers that wouldn't even fit one in the box.) The only real requirement for powder storage is that it not be a confined space, where pressure can build up. A regular cabinet, with hinged doors, works just fine?

Alliant Powder - Storage & Handling

It is the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) that has set the standard on how to store/transport gun powder.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

I went with 2" thick wood walls as the standard asked for at least 1" thick. Figured thicker is better and per a talk with a fireman (INGO member) he said the box I build is good to go.

Note some towns/cities adapt the NFPA standards as ordinace and some don't. Most do for businesses but for residential it's no very clear and most towns/cities probably don't say anything about it. :rolleyes:

Hope that helps.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    From the Alliant website you referenced:

"If a small, tightly enclosed storage enclosure is loaded to capacity with containers of smokeless powder, the enclosure will expand or move outwards to release the gas pressure - if the powder in storage is accidentally ignited. Under such conditions, the effects of the release of gas pressure are similar or identical to the effects produced by an explosion."

The sturdy nature of the box you built, which is constructed of combustible materials, could actually be quite dangerous, should the powder ever ignite. If you had something substantial sitting on top of the box while the cover was on, and it did catch fire, what you've built is a potential bomb.

You'd be far better off with 1/8" plywood substrate over 3/4" rigid foam insulation. Or, just keep the stuff in a plain old cupboard, with doors that are hinged and open freely. The biggest mistake is folks who keep powder in a locked metal case or, God forbid, a safe.

What you built looks very sturdy but is way too small for what I would need and TOO well-built to be ideal, IMHO. :ingo:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    No reason to inform your insurance company. There are no exclusions for fire, smoke, or explosion damage. If there are you need a new carrier.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    firebox_02.jpg

firebox_01.jpg

That box wouldn't store even a fraction of the primers I have much less powder.....:ar15:

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    The Lee Stand is nice, but Pricey. I bought a grinder stand from Harbor Freight for $27. Steel, wide 4 leg stance,. I bolted a piece of 1 in MDF tothe top and then drilled thru the MDF and the top to secure the press. A couple of bins from Menards and I done for under $40 bucks. It's even more stable if you store your bullets on the shelf.
    9k=

Universal Bench Grinder Stand

Top Bottom