• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A can, a RMR, and a light. Oh yea, some training couldn't hurt.

txo3iey.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Handheld light is mandatory regardless of all else.

Weapon mounted light is very useful and recommend, but you still need a handheld light even if you have a weapon light.

^This.

There are definitely situations where you need to illuminate something WITHOUT pointing a gun at it.

Realizing the person in your yard is a police officer investigating a "suspicious person" call is not a discovery best made with a pistol mounted light.

J4Me

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Handheld light is mandatory regardless of all else.

Weapon mounted light is very useful and recommend, but you still need a handheld light even if you have a weapon light.

Thank you for your replies. Is this something you learned during training? What is the reasoning behind it?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Thank you for your replies. Is this something you learned during training? What is the reasoning behind it?

^This.

There are definitely situations where you need to illuminate something WITHOUT pointing a gun at it.

Realizing the person in your yard is a police officer investigating a "suspicious person" call is not a discovery best made with a pistol mounted light.

Rule 2.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Not only did he learn it in training, but he also teaches it as a firearms instructor. :yesway:

Lights are for IDing-- friend or foe. They can also be used to aid in shooting in darkness/low-light.

While pistol-mounted lights make shooting two-handed easier, they're not ideal for IDing friends. A handheld light can do both, though you'll likely be shooting one-handed or with a less-than-ideal two-handed grip.

Some will use a handheld for IDing and the weapon-mounted light for shooting, getting the best of both worlds. I personally use a handheld for both tasks and practice shooting one-handed more often.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    My suggestion - Streamlight TLR-1, night sights and a well thought out plan.

I understand the concept of not illuminating "friendlies" with a weapon mounted light, but you don't have to point your weapon center mass to see who is in your house. Keep your weapon pointing down in the general direction if you're unsure. Any of the Streamlight/Surefire weapon mounted lights will seem like a damn floodlight when your eyes are adjusted to the darkness. I personally don't have any desire to fumble with multiple objects in a HD situation (handheld flashlight). This probably goes against some training methods, but at least I have a plan. :twocents:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Not only did he learn it in training, but he also teaches it as a firearms instructor. :yesway:

Lights are for IDing-- friend or foe. They can also be used to aid in shooting in darkness/low-light.

While pistol-mounted lights make shooting two-handed easier, they're not ideal for IDing friends. A handheld light can do both, though you'll likely be shooting one-handed or with a less-than-ideal two-handed grip.

Some will use a handheld for IDing and the weapon-mounted light for shooting, getting the best of both worlds. I personally use a handheld for both tasks and practice shooting one-handed more often.

I am with Evan and rhino on this. I prefer handheld for edc, but do have a WML on my bump in the night gun.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    INFORCE APL is a light that is becoming popular. The control are well designed.

I highly recommend a low-light class. You will see where hand held and weapons mounted lights shine and will see why a laser is a great option. Especially when being knocked down or shooting one handed from a weird angle where you can't get your sights up to your eyes.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    For those interested, we just started our July 4th sale. Although the Surefire lights are excluded, the Streamlights are not. So you can get a pretty solid deal on a Streamlight weapon light. Plus our Foursevens and Fenix lights are all included on the sale as well.

Independence Day Sale

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I have a great LED light that I recently got at Harbor Freight for 99 cents (with a coupon). I keep that one on my nightstand, but I also have a 4 D-cell maglight under the bed.

I can't begin to imagine the day that I would pay 150 dollars for a flashlight.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I can't begin to imagine the day that I would pay 150 dollars for a flashlight.

Mess with one and you'll instantly know the difference. A high lumen LED with cr123 batteries makes that mag light look like a penlight.

With that said, I have several Chinese knockoff surefires I bought for about $15 each. They're called "Ultra-fire" and the bodies, lamp, and switches are actually interchangeable with surefire. I've submerged them and dropped them repeatedly on concrete with no issue. I did manage to bust the LED on one after a few shots mounted to my 870, so they stay dedicated handheld lights. I'll spring the extra money for weapon mounted lights.

407108369.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Yes. I've completed low light training with several different instructors/schools.

Lights are for gathering information first and foremost. You have to identify a threat with certainty before you can (in my opinion) shoot it.

You will need your light more often than you will need your gun. If you have a handheld, you will be able to gather information without having to take great pains to avoid pointing your muzzle at things you don't intend to shoot. You can search with a weapon mounted light, but it's more complicated.

Your weapon mounted light may also fail. In that case, you still need light, and you will have your handheld.

We offer low light classes if you are interested.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Mess with one and you'll instantly know the difference. A high lumen LED with cr123 batteries makes that mag light look like a penlight.

With that said, I have several Chinese knockoff surefires I bought for about $15 each. They're called "Ultra-fire" and the bodies, lamp, and switches are actually interchangeable with surefire. I've submerged them and dropped them repeatedly on concrete with no issue. I did manage to bust the LED on one after a few shots mounted to my 870, so they stay dedicated handheld lights. I'll spring the extra money for weapon mounted lights.

407108369.jpg

Thanks for the input. I've not always had a lot of extra cash most of my life, and now that I do, I still can't get the penny-pincher completely out of my system.

I do appreciate a quality item, and I'll have to check one of those out.

Top Bottom