• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I much prefer a plain edge.

For the types of cutting that I do, the serrations just seem to catch on crap and hang the blade up.

However, if I were to depend on a knife out rucking it or something, I'd probably wish for a fully serrated blade for some applications.

-J-

ELMO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Most of my knives are the plain edge and some I have are partly serated. I don't mind the serated blades at all, it just takes a little more time to sharpen them is all....

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I like a partially serrated blade. If I ever have to cut a seatbelt, I want something that will cut it as fast as possible.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Plain, for sure. Unless I'm going to be cutting a bunch of cordage (rope, etc.), in which case serrations are nice.

I'm gonna have to wholeheartedly disagree with this, I cut cord all day long with plain edge. you get much cleaner cuts with plain vs. serrated when it comes to cutting cord. I've have demonstrated this fact to numerous INGO members and made believers out of them.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    keep a sharp knife and it won't be a problem.;)

Agreed, but if I haven't been keeping up on my edge, I still want to get that person out of a burning car as quickly as possible. So it's more of an "avoid the inevitable" thing than a general preference for a serrated edge.

A good plain edge is definitely better than a serrated edge. Having both gives the best of both worlds, though.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Dont let tyler34 fool you, he hardly ever cuts cord "para" and he loves serrated blades sooooooooo much he only buys straight edges just to serrate them his self.:laugh:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Agreed, but if I haven't been keeping up on my edge, I still want to get that person out of a burning car as quickly as possible. So it's more of an "avoid the inevitable" thing than a general preference for a serrated edge.

there is no excuse not to keep up your edge period. if you can't yourself have someone else do it. thats like saying you haven't been cleaning your gun.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    there is no excuse not to keep up your edge period. if you can't yourself have someone else do it. thats like saying you haven't been cleaning your gun.

Well sometimes I don't clean my guns as much as I otherwise should, either.

Top Bottom