• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here’s a Glock 19 and Sig P365 side-by-side in Safariland ALS holsters. I carried the Glock daily until Safariland released the left-hand P365 model.

I also wear the same holster all the time. I really don’t care about OC versus CC; if the weather or situation dictates an outer garment or the need to avoid being asked to leave a GFZ I will CC. Other than clearing an outer garment I really don’t want to have to think twice about where my pistol is or how to draw it.

286170D0-8EEB-4D6A-9F4E-A61539514CE1.jpg

0EC53429-404A-4473-8322-56164DD26D04.jpg

77BBDB2C-EC09-4BA9-9EDF-CCBD869F4494.jpg

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Anybody have any experience with the Safariland 537 GLS pancake style concealment holster? Thinking about getting one for my M&P Compact.

Capture.jpg

Have and used one for years for my Kframe revolvers. While it has held up well the suedo suede ? lining would better replaced with leather or whatever the safariland synthetic leather is. Not my favorite but better than plastic. Still hard to beat leather.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    Not any more dangerous than any firearm that places the manual safety right smack dab in the center of the trigger itself.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    I like Glocks, for their ergonomics, light weight, and supreme reliability. I would definitely consider one myself in the future if I was ever looking to purchase yet another firearm. Nonetheless, my thoughts will remain unchanged about a manual safety that can be de-activated by pulling, or snagging, the trigger. And obviously this feeling does not apply exclusively to Glock as there are other manufacturers with gun models that mimic this exact same safety system.

It does seem to me that this safety is a very sneaky and absolutely ingenious way around firearm importation laws. That said, Glock's trigger safety is a lot more effective than the outright dangerous retrofitted safeties on TT-33 pistols and their many Yugoslav, Romanian, and Chinese variants. I have removed mine because they cannot be trusted, obviously, as anyone familiar with these retrofitted import safeties already knows.

Why have a safety at all, designed to disconnect the trigger, if you are going to put it right on the trigger itself? My idea of a safety is that you can snag the trigger or pull it and it won't fire. Not so with this particular setup. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Why have a safety at all, designed to disconnect the trigger, if you are going to put it right on the trigger itself? My idea of a safety is that you can snag the trigger or pull it and it won't fire. Not so with this particular setup. Just my thoughts.

Perhaps you misunderstand the design intent of that safety. It's specifically designed to prevent the trigger from moving rearward due to inertia (i.e. when dropped) and causing a discharge when the trigger was not intentionally pressed. It's supposed to deactivate when the trigger is pressed. That's the whole point of it. It's not only not dangerous, it's a very effective and (at the time) innovative design.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    Perhaps you misunderstand the design intent of that safety. It's specifically designed to prevent the trigger from moving rearward due to inertia (i.e. when dropped) and causing a discharge when the trigger was not intentionally pressed. It's supposed to deactivate when the trigger is pressed. That's the whole point of it. It's not only not dangerous, it's a very effective and (at the time) innovative design.

The Glock just like the 92FS have multiple safeties. The trigger disengagement is just one of a few, that is what I am talking about, as the Glock really doesn't have a trigger disengagement safety because the gun will always fire when the trigger is pulled, unlike other guns with manual safeties mounted on the side or frame. As Glocks used to be manufactured strictly in Austria and imported, am I correct that adding the safety where they did was intentionally designed to comply with firearm importation guidelines? And then it stuck on forever, even though Glocks are also manufactured right here in the USA as well.

The 92FS also has a firing pin block, even when the safety is off. But when the safety is on the gun will never fire even if the trigger is pulled or snagged.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Manual safeties have no business on a defensive handgun.

I have never heard of any Glock that did not have the trigger safety. Glock's trigger safety has been copied and used by Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Ruger, and I'm sure many other manufacturers. It has nothing to do with importation laws.

Just because you don't understand how it works, or why it was invented, doesn't make it a bad feature. It is a very effective safety feature. Had the Sig P320 had a trigger safety, the whole firing when dropped ordeal wouldn't have been an issue.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ENT2X4TeZIM

Glock and a non Serpa holster and it still went bang?

https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...l-shooting-blamed-gun/0pPGnnkXQjfJrWUTSYKt0J/

Cop shoots self with Glock due to pin working it’s way out?

https://gawker.com/police-chief-accidentally-shoots-himself-for-the-second-1505683172

Cop shoots self due to clothing in trigger?

https://wtvr.com/2011/11/14/father-accidentally-kills-himself-in-front-of-children-at-grocery-store/

Father shoots and kills self due to Glock and a seat belt?

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-owens-glock-accidents-20150508-story.html

Entire news article against the use of Glocks?

https://www.journal-news.com/news/man-accidentally-shoots-self-chick-fil/S7e2OPqu88pN7bMIVfykHL/

Guy shoots self at Chicken place with Glock?

I could go on forever but facts point to the Glock and any striker fired may not be the safest pistol in the world?

I know if they were only better trained had the right holster blah blah blah!

In the long ago days (when CM was young) Police carried DA revolvers. The main reason was for saftey with a long DA pull it drastically mitigated AD’s and accidental shootings due to startled responses or fighting with a person. The first police Auto pistols in general use would be the DA/SA with the same results as a revolvers.
    SAO does have a element of panic induced failures because of the manual saftey, on the other end of the spectrum it doesn’t go boom until you release the safety.
    So pick your poison DA/SA with OK safety?
    SAO you may panic and forget the safety?
    Striker fired with a 5 pound or so trigger and basically no safety?

BTW
    Serpa holsters are not that bad if you are not doing the QuickDraw McGraw stuff I think the ALS is mucho better and safer.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    :rockwoot:R
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ENT2X4TeZIM

Glock and a non Serpa holster and it still went bang?

https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...l-shooting-blamed-gun/0pPGnnkXQjfJrWUTSYKt0J/

Cop shoots self with Glock due to pin working it’s way out?

https://gawker.com/police-chief-accidentally-shoots-himself-for-the-second-1505683172

Cop shoots self due to clothing in trigger?

https://wtvr.com/2011/11/14/father-accidentally-kills-himself-in-front-of-children-at-grocery-store/

Father shoots and kills self due to Glock and a seat belt?

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-owens-glock-accidents-20150508-story.html

Entire news article against the use of Glocks?

https://www.journal-news.com/news/man-accidentally-shoots-self-chick-fil/S7e2OPqu88pN7bMIVfykHL/

Guy shoots self at Chicken place with Glock?

I could go on forever but facts point to the Glock and any striker fired may not be the safest pistol in the world?

I know if they were only better trained had the right holster blah blah blah!

In the long ago days (when CM was young) Police carried DA revolvers. The main reason was for saftey with a long DA pull it drastically mitigated AD’s and accidental shootings due to startled responses or fighting with a person. The first police Auto pistols in general use would be the DA/SA with the same results as a revolvers.
    SAO does have a element of panic induced failures because of the manual saftey, on the other end of the spectrum it doesn’t go boom until you release the safety.
    So pick your poison DA/SA with OK safety?
    SAO you may panic and forget the safety?
    Striker fired with a 5 pound or so trigger and basically no safety?

BTW
    Serpa holsters are not that bad if you are not doing the QuickDraw McGraw stuff I think the ALS is mucho better and safer.

So you say but only if they were better trained and had the right holster, blah blah blah...

Then you say BTW no quick draw McGraw with the Serpa and that ALS is much better. I’ve had both Serpa and ALS holsters and I agree ALS is FAR superior... as for the rest of what you said, you’re all over the map, dude. Quick draw McGraw is exactly what you need in a defensive situation. I’ve had multiple striker fired pistols without thumb safeties and every one of them has been perfectly safe in an ALS holster.

I don’t want to be ****ing around with some dumb lever when I need to get the pistol out to stop someone who’s trying to kill me. There are enough other things that have to go perfectly right for me to prevail.

MY Rule #1 is safe direction, first, foremost, and always. Following this would’ve prevented every one of the incidents you can cite and all the ones didn’t. I want my pistol be safe for ME, not the bad guy. That’s up to ME, in what I select and how I handle it.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I don’t think the Serpa is a good choice for a defensive quick draw holster.
    In other situations where it is a sidearm holster with retention being a priority it’s OK.
    I personally do not care for the Serpa I never felt comfortable with the release it doesn’t feel natural to me.
    The other comments are for the Glock defenders some who believe that is never a issue with the pistol.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don’t think the Serpa is a good choice for a defensive quick draw holster.
    In other situations where it is a sidearm holster with retention being a priority it’s OK.
    I personally do not care for the Serpa I never felt comfortable with the release it doesn’t feel natural to me.
    The other comments are for the Glock defenders some who believe that is never a issue with the pistol.

I’m no Glock fanboy, I bought and sold many. Same with Sig. I simply believe any pistol without inherent mechanical flaws can be safe if handled properly and carried in a proper holster. And the fewer fine motor skills I have to get right in a life-and-death situation the better.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I kinda agree and disagree
    What about rifles and shotguns?
    I have never experienced someone disabling a manual safety on a AR because of the fear of loss of fine motor skills?
    To me striker fired pistols carry a inherent risk of something becoming lodged in the trigger guard during holstering or reholstering, improper holsters that flex and allow the trigger to pull, inadvertent discharge due to light trigger.

What about a striker fired AR?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I kinda agree and disagree
    What about rifles and shotguns?
    I have never experienced someone disabling a manual safety on a AR because of the fear of loss of fine motor skills?
    To me striker fired pistols carry a inherent risk of something becoming lodged in the trigger guard during holstering or reholstering, improper holsters that flex and allow the trigger to pull, inadvertent discharge due to light trigger.

What about a striker fired AR?

How many times have you drawn and re-holstered a rifle?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How many times have you drawn and re-holstered a rifle?

That is not what he is saying. It still takes some motor skill to bring an AR to bear and fire it. Manual safety in this regard. There is a dance here as well.

Jeesh people G****s have flaws. He listed a litany of articles on this very fact. They are made by people. Nothing man made is perfect even a freaking G**** for cripes sake.

Not a direct stab at you CB just an example of platform defense. G****s Serpas etc. We all do this dance.

Top Bottom