Seriously, what can I do to get rid of the 'skunkfest' outside the garage?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Every year, it's like a breeding festival, an 'Oktoberskunkfest' where they have endless orgies and smirk at my attempts to run them off.

What does one do? Besides spreading shotshell around everywhere and endanger the neighbors? (and vehicles)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Nuke from Orbit. Then again, there might be a lot of collateral damage to you and things you don't want destroyed.

You could slay one of the smelly beasts, and hang him from a stick at the entrance to your yard, as a warning to all other would-be skunk orgie participants, but that too may result in some collateral stinkage as it decays.

In all seriousness, skunks and other ground critters like to eat bugs and other stuff in and around your yard. You might try putting down some grub and insect "fertilizer" around your yard to kill off that food source. This is especially helpful in controlling other pests like moles too.

Here's more I found with a google search.
    How to Get Rid of Skunks - howtogetridofstuff.com

If that doesn't work, you might need to call in Bill Murray for a Caddieshack sequal. :D

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Nuke from Orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.;)

Seriously. Do you have an Animal Control service in your area? They can be a great service and may even do it for free.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Kill%20it%20With%20Fire%20Aliens.jpg

But in all seriousness, Rat traps, Lots of BIG rat traps. and some food soaked with anti-freeze. That'll get 'em good.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Leaving for work early morning around 430AM, I'd literally trip over them walking from the back door to the cars out front the house! Like a pack of dogs rutting where ever they feel like it.

Nuke option sounds fun, but...
    I may try getting rid of the food source. I never knew there were that many until last year our carport area became such a popular place. Should I provide music and lighting? lol.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    For the appropriate music, you can't go wrong with FLIGHT OF THE VALKYIE while your firebombing them.
    ( remember the village chopper scene in Appocolypse Now)

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    You could do like I did, make a investment into a "high power" pellet gun. Took care of my chipmunk problem after a few days.

Or just tell the neighbors whats going on and use a .22, just make sure the neighbors know whats going on. However I am speaking and not knowing what the surrounding look like.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Line the perimeter of your yard and deck with mothballs.

Or, spray your yard with a solution of habanero sauce, castor oil and dish soap mixed 20/1 from a hose end sprayer.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Keep in mind that if you kill a skunk... Yer still gonna have the stink.

Get some of that predator pee pee and apply it liberally.

If you have cats, perhaps scatter their used cat litter around the perimeter.

-J-

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I've found that nothing works particularly well or in a reliable fashion. I found a guy here in Bloomington who will live trap them (using a can of tuna as bait) and haul them away. I'm not sure where he takes them and could care less...they are gone.

While it would be a lot more fun to try some of the other ideas, this one worked like a charm for me (several times over the years) and it's completely hands-off - which is the way to fly with Pepe.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    [quote=bwframe;589631]Line the perimeter of your yard and deck with mothballs.

Or, spray your yard with a solution of habanero sauce, castor oil and dish soap mixed 20/1 from a hose end sprayer.[/quote]

BINGO!

Top Bottom