• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I had bought a winchester model 62A 22lr a couple years ago dirt cheap. Well My best friends dad wanted it and I didnt have any attachment for it so i sold it to him what I paid for which was $100. Well He found out what it was worth and of course there was some good rib poking no big deal. Well this Christmas I was at their house doing Christmas with them since they are like my second family. My buddys dad gave all of his kids a gun from his collection. Then he pulled out the winchester and gave it to me. That right there has now made it a precious family heirloom. Not becuase what it is worth but because he thought of me as part of his family.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I had bought a winchester model 62A 22lr a couple years ago dirt cheap. Well My best friends dad wanted it and I didnt have any attachment for it so i sold it to him what I paid for which was $100. Well He found out what it was worth and of course there was some good rib poking no big deal. Well this Christmas I was at their house doing Christmas with them since they are like my second family. My buddys dad gave all of his kids a gun from his collection. Then he pulled out the winchester and gave it to me. That right there has now made it a precious family heirloom. Not becuase what it is worth but because he thought of me as part of his family.
    That's pretty cool. :cool:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    When I was 13, my Uncle took me to Izzak Walton to teach me how to shoot. We had a Remington 521T w/ iron peep sights and a brick of 22s. Opened up a new world for me.
    After a year or so, on a visit, he asked my Dad if he could give me the rifle, cleaning kit and another brick of ammo. Dad said okay, but he holds on to the ammo.
    I've had that rifle for 45yrs, still shoots great, is cleaned and stored properly. No rust, and enjoyed many outings.
    Those days the shooters joined the "Ikes", and we hunted at a cousins in Knox, In.
    When hunting season ended, you got out your fishing rod and tackle box and went fishing.
    Seems like kids now like to cruise the mall, and play 3DS games, instead of going outside to play. My wife scolds me when I leave for a rainy day hunting or fishing.
    Told her its a sentimental journey, and take the Remington for some target shooting!

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    Well, sentimental guns i have a few even though my G-Pa and dad weren't gun guys... (yeah i know). The gent across the street growing up was the reason i got involved in guns and fishing and I always wanted his Stevens 410 OU.He took me out shooting cans, squirrels and rabbits with that beauty and i realized that this was what i wanted to do for the rest of my life. Thought I had a chance when he passed as he knew I wanted that gun, probably since I drooled on it for the better part of 10 years but his collection was picked over by cousins and other 3rd tier family members looking for a quick buck.

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    An old 7mm Mauser my grandpa gave to me from WW2. From the other side of the family I inherited a 100 year old Iver Johnson 22 Supershot that has never been fired. My father just recently gave me his Mossberg 9200 which I will keep for a long time.

tommyj223

Marksman
    Rating - 77.8%
    7   2   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    lowell
    i have a first run savage 24 and an old browning from my grandady.and ill keep them till my daughters are shootn,then ill repeat the cycle

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I will have, but not officially own at first, all my dads guns (this is not the way I wanted to get them). I end up owning all of them, I need to have his 22 rifle looked at as the extractor doesn't sometimes send the spent shell out all the way. I found out my dad got it when he was 19 and he is now 59, so yeah, it is probably worn out. I will probably have the 410 that was my grandpa's looked at to make sure it is in good firing shape (as is his 410 shotgun also). First things first, got to get them. Sent an email to my dads wife about how she wants to handle them being taken out of her house (I get them if she doesn't want my dad there, or other ways).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My dad and I hunted chucks a lot when I was growing up. His old #1 .22-250 is on the list of items I will get whenever he goes to pop 'em in the great soybean field in the sky.

He has a brand new one, stainless heavy bbl..........and I could care less.

For me, it's about the stuff WE used together.

It's old, and kinda beat up. Whenever it comes my way I'll have it rebarrelled to a deer cartridge and make it my primary rig for that. Doing that makes me use it, and continue to add memories, maybe to the point where one of my kids will feel the same way about that gun.

One of his long since gone old friends gave him an 1100 Trap. My dad is a lefty so I've been the only one using it. My dad's buddy was a good guy, and the value my dad puts on that rig is high............never for sale high. In memory of his friend, and of my dad whenever he goes, that rig is coming my way as well, never to be sold. Yeah, it's been top gun in a few dove fields.............but for me it's an extension of a good old dude, through another good dude and I'd like to continue with that.

Not the most expensive guns of my dad's I want, just the richest ones.

Last edited:

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I recently got a Hawthorn M 149 bolt action 20 gage that was my great grandfathers and an Ithica M-49 .22 magnum rifle that was my dads. Great guns, both shoot wonderfully. excited especially to have the shotgun since it's been in my family for quite a long time.

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    I have a muzzle loading shotgun that my great-grandfather brought over when he emigrated from Germany in the mid 1850's. My father gave it to me around 1954. I would really have to be desperate before I would let it go. In my case the older I get the more sentimental I am toward things
    that were passed down through my family or gifts from family and friends.
    So keep every thing you get like that and you will probably be very glad you did in your older age.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May, 1982 in Clarksville, IN.

Dad: "Son, you graduated from High School. I can give you money or you can have the Highway Patrolman Model 28 Smith. Which will it be?"

Me. "The Smith."

And here it is.....I even got the cool belt buckle.

smithandwesson001.jpg

smithandwesson019-1.jpg

The trophy I won in my first bowling pin match that year (1982). I really love that gun and it remains my favorite. My uncle had the gun for about 10 years. (the men in my family trade stuff back and forth.) I got it back about 18 years ago and it has been with me ever since.

hnts4fun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Around 1950 my Dad bought a Winchester 94 30-30 at a local pawn shop. Between the two of us we killed a bunch of wild pigs with that rifle while I was growing up. I've got the gun and Dad has been gone for a long time. It sure brings back some good memories.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    The only sentimental gun I am getting is the one I don't want: My father's Walther PPK that he's carried for 20 years , as well as his Marine Corps Kabar when he dies. Great. Now I'm depressed.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I have my Grandpa's service 1911 from WWII. It is a 1913 Colt 1911. Absolutely love it. It is a reworked model that was used in WWI, then reworked and issued to my Grandpa for WWII.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have 3, my .410 Mossberg bolt action, .22 semi auto High Standard, both were gifts from my dad, gone in 2002... and the first handgun, that I bought, in 1977, when I turned 21 Ruger Std. Model, in my avatar...

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    I have a Ithaca 20 Guage that Gramps let me "borrow" when I turned 12 to start hunting. Got that now after Gramps passed - Gone in 2006

And now I have dads guns... gone last year January. My favorite being his Browning Sweet Sixteen and Browning Lever Action 308 with straight stock.

I'd rather still be admiring them afar then to have them in my possession...:(

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    When my grandpa died I was asked if there was anything of his I wanted. I wanted his fishing stuff and his 20 ga. Time came to pick them up, got the fishing stuff, shotgun not there, gone also was his .22, thought maybe somebody removed them since they were "scary guns" (a few in the family are like that). Come to find out one of my uncles (not a shooter at all, army officer and he thought the M16 fired 30-06:rolleyes:) decided he wanted them instead. Tried to buy both of them from him but he said I didn't deserve them, even though I was the one who took Grandpa fishing and hunting the last years he was alive after he couldn't get out on his own. Haven't spoke to the miserable SOB since, and that was 20 years ago.

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    I have three sentimental guns; two I own, one I sold and wish I could have back. The two I have are the Mossberg 500e and the Springfield 187 that my grandfather passed down to me before he died. There are two just like them still in my grandmother's closet that are meant for my cousin, but since he doesn't have any interest in guns I am considering trying to buy them from him so they won't just sit and rust. The one I wish I could buy back was the Amt Hardballer Longslide. It was one of the rare models which didn't have any firing issues straight from the factory. It was smooth, shot anything I put in it, it even had the "hardballer" stamped mag with it. I got it from a dealer at a local gun show and a year or so later I had to sell it back to him to pay to fix the family car. I went to see if he still had it at the next show but he had sold it.

Top Bottom