• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I saw that another member had previously asked about these but never really got an answer, just recommendations for other types of hearing protection.

Does anyone have experience with the SensGard ZEM banded hearing protectors? How do they compare in sound suppression to regular muffs? I'm thinking of using these for the range and other loud environments.

Example: Amazon.com: Black SG-31 ZEM SensGard Hearing Protection Device NRR 31 DB: Home Improvement

ZEM.jpg

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have 2 different pairs, the 26db and the 31 db models.I find them light and easy to carry. They work well in suppressing sound. The only problem I experinced so far is that when I have them on for a long period (30-45 minutes) it hurts my ear and kind of gives me a headache. Maybe it's something to get use to. :dunno:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have 2 different pairs, the 26db and the 31 db models.I find them light and easy to carry. They work well in suppressing sound. The only problem I experinced so far is that when I have them on for a long period (30-45 minutes) it hurts my ear and kind of gives me a headache. Maybe it's something to get use to. :dunno:

Thanks for the response. Is there enough of a difference in sound suppression to justify the cost difference between the 26db model and the 31db model?

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Side by side comparison, you can tell a slight difference. However being that I had been tested for some hearing loss in one ear and I have tinnitus, I prefer to have as much protection as possible

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I saw these at Big R the other day. The design is intriguing...

I presume that they really work, BrownDog?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Thanks for the responses. I just ordered the 31db model.

Last edited:

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I saw these at Big R the other day. The design is intriguing...

I presume that they really work, BrownDog?

It works for me.

One more thing to note, especially during the warmer season, sweat bulid up around your ears when wearing muffs. A non issue with the Zem. I wear a pair when doing lawn work and it's more comfortable.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Well I received the ZEM 31db yesterday.

First impressions are very favorable.

They are very light weight and unobtrusive. Comfortable to wear for long periods of time (big advantage over electronic muffs). I wore them cutting grass for two hours and they are great at sound suppression in that case. I wore them in the house to see how well they work at passing normal levels of sound and I'm impressed. I can hear the TV and normal conversation just fine.

I can see one minor down side. They are passive so they don't use batteries. But they have these foam pieces on the end that fit in your ear. They seem to wear rather easily. I'm thinking it wont take too much time before they need replaced. They come with 2 extra sets.
    EDIT: About the foam pieces. Seems I jumped the gun on this. After they set out for a day the foam dried out and came back into shape just fine, they appear to be more durable than I first thought.

Now the real test will be how well they suppress gun shots. If they do that well then these will be the best sound suppressors I have ever had.

Last edited:

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    I own the 26 db and the 31 db models

Wear them at the range all the time.

Yes there is a difference in the sound deadening of the two models.

I bought the 26's before I found out about the 31's.

I wear the 31's most of the time.

:patriot:

Top Bottom