• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Had the first lost soul of the season straggle in today from the HNF. Guy was lost, had been out in the woods since early this morning. He wasn't going back in and just wanted road directions to get back to where he was parked. Out of water and probably eaten up by seed ticks, he just needed to be on his way after getting directions to the highway as his phone was no longer working.

Although he probably doesn't feel like it, he's lucky.;)

deliverance-bill-mckinney.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You mean, he walked up to your door, knocked, asked for directions?

Some people have in the past, but this guy was like most. I saw him before he saw me and waited for him to come my direction. I didn't ask if he had found any seng as I think it's illegal to take it out of the HNF, and he wasn't volunteering any info.

I didn't even want to ask if he had used tick repellent, he'll be in agony for a few days if not.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Depends on the terrain and forest density. Some places in the summer you can't see 20 yards. Sound rolls around in the ridges and valleys confusing direction and strength.

View attachment 378066
    I've got 50 acres that look like this Pic from end to end and side to side.
    I often wonder how the pioneers ever found their way.
    Much of the time in my woods you can't see the sky so no idea where the sun/stars are.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Some people have in the past, but this guy was like most. I saw him before he saw me and waited for him to come my direction. I didn't ask if he had found any seng as I think it's illegal to take it out of the HNF, and he wasn't volunteering any info.

I didn't even want to ask if he had used tick repellent, he'll be in agony for a few days if not.
    Yes, it is illegal.
    From the Indiana DNR Division of Law Enforcement Facebook page:
    A Sullivan County man was arrested last night by Indiana Conservation Officer Dustin Cary. ICO Cary encountered the suspect harvesting ginseng on state forest managed property. ICO Cary introduced himself to the suspect from a distance. The suspect then decided to throw the tool he was using to dig ginseng with and take off running. The suspect ran to a nearby lake and threw his backpack into the water. While attempting to throw the backpack into the lake, the black case which contained the glass smoking device pictured below, fell onto the shore. The suspect then jumped into the water himself. ICO Cary apprehended the man in the water and placed him into custody. The man was transported and lodged at the Sullivan County Jail. Some of the arresting charges include possession of methamphetamine, possession of paraphernalia, obstruction of justice, and resisting / fleeing.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yes, it is illegal.
    A Sullivan County man was arrested last night by Indiana Conservation Officer Dustin Cary. ICO Cary encountered the suspect harvesting ginseng on state forest managed property. ICO Cary introduced himself to the suspect from a distance. The suspect then decided to throw the tool he was using to dig ginseng with and take off running. The suspect ran to a nearby lake and threw his backpack into the water. While attempting to throw the backpack into the lake, the black case which contained the glass smoking device pictured below, fell onto the shore. The suspect then jumped into the water himself. ICO Cary apprehended the man in the water and placed him into custody. The man was transported and lodged at the Sullivan County Jail. Some of the arresting charges include possession of methamphetamine, possession of paraphernalia, obstruction of justice, and resisting / fleeing.
    Being stupid makes life hard.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Yes, it is illegal.
    Any one else hear Yakety Sax playing in their heads while reading that?

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    I have no idea what I'm looking for but after reading this thread I did a little reading. It seems I have great conditions for it with a lot of ferns in my very dark woods. While I was swapping cards in my trail cam, I found these. No signs of 5 leaves though and the berries were not attached to a plant. I didn't really scour around, but the red berries caught my eye and this thread was fresh in my head.

20240906_165207.jpg20240906_165355.jpg

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    I've got 50 acres that look like this Pic from end to end and side to side.
    I often wonder how the pioneers ever found their way.
    Much of the time in my woods you can't see the sky so no idea where the sun/stars are.
    that’s an interesting topic you bring up. depends where exactly, but Indiana was once much more naturally disturbed by fire, flooding, etc. and thus diverse in ecosystems.

there was vast marshlands, hardwood savannas, and many more micro-climates that created a diverse landscape. I’ve read journals of early explorers who saw miles & miles of black ash where wildfires recently burned everything but the mature trees, north-facing slopes, bottomlands, etc. Our native herbaceous perennials died back in winter, whereas so much of the state has invasives now which persist all year. Even our public lands aren’t necessarily managed to mimic what early explorers experienced.

Top Bottom