• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Hey, INGO!

Gov. Pence has yet to sign Senate bill 229. Which would, among other things, remove the restriction of keeping a gun in a car locked on school property. Lets give a 40k + INGO member showering of emails and calls.

This is what I wrote to him:
    Gov. Pence,

I am writing to request that you sign SEA 229, the firearms buyback bill.

The critical portion of this bill is the removal of felony consequences for having a firearm locked in your vehicle on school property. The current version of this law has been used almost exclusively to prosecute otherwise law abiding citizens who had no intention of committing a crime or shooting up a school. I look at this similar to the parking lot bill that was passed recently. If I am going to a school function, I am effectively denied my 2nd Amendment rights, not only while on school property, but on my way there and back.

The other injustice that this bill does away with is the roving school provision in the bill. This has been used, again on people who had no intention of committing a crime, and were legally allowed to carry a handgun in the facility at all other times. But because a school happens to be having a field trip or event at the facility, it becomes a "school".

I do not think that it is in the states best interest to make more felons out of otherwise law abiding citizens with no intent to commit a crime. Lets prosecute to the fullest, those who have designs to harm our children, but not make felons out of otherwise law abiding citizens.

I appreciate your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,
    Ohmslaw69

The link to be able to email Gov. Pence is as follows (labeled "Ask Mike" on the in.gov website):

Governor Pence: Ask Mike

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Borrowed yours and re-worded.Email sent.

Gov. Pence,

I am writing to request that you sign Senate Bill 229, the firearms buyback bill.
    The critical provision of this bill is the removal of felony consequences for having a firearm locked in your vehicle on school property. The current version of this law has been used almost exclusively to prosecute otherwise law abiding citizens who had no intention of committing a crime or shooting up a school. If I am going to a school function, I am effectively denied my 2nd Amendment rights, not only while on school property, but on my way there and back. If something were to happen when a person stopped on the way home from a PTA meeting, how are they to defend themselves? Also, please keep in mind that there have been many shootings, even school shootings, ended by a response of a good person with a firearm.
    The other injustice that this bill does away with is the "roving school" provision in the current bill. This has been used, again to prosecute people who had no intention of committing a crime, and were legally allowed to carry a handgun in a facility, such as a zoo, at all other times. The current legislation provides that because a school happens to be having a field trip or event at the facility, it becomes a "school".
    I do not think that it is in the justifiable by the state to instantly create felons out of otherwise law abiding citizens with no intent to commit a crime. Lets prosecute those who have intentionss of harming our children, but not make felons out of otherwise law abiding citizens who would possibly be able to stop said harm,given the correct tools.

I appreciate your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,
    Ruffnek

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Understandable to write but there's 130+ other bills waiting to be signed by thursday too. It's not like he is singling this one out, he was just presented with over 200+ at one time. Obviously he's not just going to sign most without at least looking them over.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    Gov. Pence,

I am writing in regards to Senate Bill 229 in hope you will find it worthy of your signature. This bill allows law abiding parents increased freedom of personal and family safety.

Indiana is one of the best states in the nation and I hope we can keep it that way, by continuing to increase personal freedoms and self-defense rights through innovative legislation, such as described in SB229.

Signing SB229 would allow parents more rights to better defend themselves and their families from deathly harm after leaving school functions. Not all of Indiana schools are in the best of locations and current law makes it virtually impossible to protect you or your loved ones from any threat that could happen to a family between leaving a school event and reaching home.

Threats are everywhere and can happen any time. Allowing parents to defend themselves after leaving a school event is paramount and should not only be considered a legal right, but as a human right.

I hope you will find the contents of SB229 to be what I have described, and realize that Hoosier parents should have the right to protect Indiana's most precious resource. It is my belief that SB229 will allow parents to exercise, what should be, every parents' duty in a responsible and practical manner.

Respectfully,

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Understandable to write but there's 130+ other bills waiting to be signed by thursday too. It's not like he is singling this one out, he was just presented with over 200+ at one time. Obviously he's not just going to sign most without at least looking them over.

But, but, but..... How can he find out what's in them if he doesn't sign them?

Top Bottom