• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeager361

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I was talking to my dad the other day and he said he wants to get a shotgun, but he wants to get a semi auto. I own a Remington 870 (pump). He apparently doesn't want anything to do with a pump. He wants to use it out in the field to go shot clay with me and I am guessing also to have around the house in case the need arises.

I am not overly familiar with semi auto shotguns. What recommendations do you all have for him? I did a quick bit of reading online and the Remington 1187 seems like a nice option.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I have an 1100 and an 1187, both 12 gauge and I couldn't be happier. Just picked up an 835 Mossberg and its my first pump gun and man those 3.5" have some kick. Most autoloaders now days are pretty dependable good luck hope he finds one he's happy with. Dan

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I've had my 1187 since I was 16, so about 24 years now, and it is great. Only had to have a gunsmith replace the O rings a few years ago. Seems to have a little less recoil than the 870, probably because it is a bit heavier, and because it burns energy in the reloading. I wouldn't get a Mossberg in semi auto, just because more can go wrong, and they are kinda cheap.

I know nothing about Italian shotguns, except that I've never seen one in the woods during deer season. I think most people that buy those are skeet shooters? I'm not a fan of fancy shotguns, since it seems like an oxymoron to me.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    An 11-87 is an excellent choice. For shooting like bird loads, I really like the Innertia drive Benelli & Franchi stuff. As far as HD, the Russian's rule the roost with the Saiga and VEPR 12's.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    You'll like the options the saiga-12 will give you, benelli M1 SUPER 90 is an excellent shotgun, if you can pick up a beretta 1201 FP for a good price, you'll be happy

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I know that there are quite a few good semi autos on the market. The only one I had trouble with was a new H&K Red Lion. For all the premium money and the proud european arrogance, it was a piece of Junk. I took it out three times, and it NEVER worked right. Three times it was sent in, three times I waited MONTHS for repair, three times they could not get it right. They kept saying American shells are inferior. Any shotgun that will not shoot Remington Nitros, Federal Gold Medals, and Winchester AA's is junk. No other shogun has problems with quality American shells. I do not know much about other H&K products, the they sure do not know how to build a shotgun. Don't buy it.

I have had and enjoyed a few flavors of 1100 and 11-87 Remingtons. They did a good job.
    I have also had a 391 Beretta, it was a very good semi auto. The ability to tune the stock with the offset spacers make the shotgun very neutral for your body geometry, without having to spend money at a stock maker. The compensating gas system is very forgiving.

When I worked the World Sporting clays event in San Antonio, the number of people shooting 391's was more than all the other brands of semi autos put together. I figure if top competitors from every continent are comfortable with the 391 Beretta, there is good reason.

I know a couple of people with the new Winchester semi autos who are happy with them. I never owned one

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got an 11-87 sportsman (matte with synthetic) and I love the thing. To me it makes the recoil feel like it's hitting a lot softer on my shoulder. Mine has been 100% reliable. However, I have a buddy who bought the same model except his has wood with a chromed bolt and his has had some reliability issues with jams.

Basically the last time Dick's sporting goods had the 11-87's on sale for $500 I told two guys. One other guy bought a synthetic model like I did and hasn't had a single issue with it just like I haven't. For whatever that's worth, I like my 11-87 but then again mine runs like a champ. I use mine for pheasant hunting and clay pigeons.

If you're wanting this shotgun for home defense and if things get nasty then the saiga would probably be the best route to go.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have had a Remington 1100 for 25 years and it's always preformed flawlessly. Either it or the 1187 as others have said are great choices. I also have a Stoeger 2000, which is an inertia operated shotgun licensed by Beretta, that so far is a solid shooter.

Dave

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Ive owned both the 1100 and the 11-87 (currently own 2 1187's). They are both the same gun except for most 1100's are chambered in 2 3/4" only and ALL 1187's will do 2 3/4 and 3". The 1187 has a stainless steel magazine tube while the 1100 has a blued tube. Both models have ONE ORING that is used to trap gas and burnt powder from going down into the forearm. Both models will shoot just fine WITHOUT the oring installed. You will just end up with a dirty forearm (inside). The 1187 typically has fancier engraving on the receiver. There are magnum 1100 shotguns that shoot 3" shells. If the shotgun is going to be used for turkey hunting I would get one that will do 3" shells.

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a Stoeger M2000 and like it alot. Took it to S Dakota pheasant hunting and it was great. Design of Benelli, but goes for about 500

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    O
    Ive owned both the 1100 and the 11-87 (currently own 2 1187's). They are both the same gun except for most 1100's are chambered in 2 3/4" only and ALL 1187's will do 2 3/4 and 3". The 1187 has a stainless steel magazine tube while the 1100 has a blued tube. Both models have ONE ORING that is used to trap gas and burnt powder from going down into the forearm. Both models will shoot just fine WITHOUT the oring installed. You will just end up with a dirty forearm (inside). The 1187 typically has fancier engraving on the receiver. There are magnum 1100 shotguns that shoot 3" shells. If the shotgun is going to be used for turkey hunting I would get one that will do 3" shells.

Vary good post here i would agree

mrmech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    All I have to say is there was cycling issues in my past with 11-87 so I shy away. However my 1100 has had 1000's of rounds of all different kinds weights and loads and it has never let me down

Dodgehunter84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I have three autoloaders, a Remington 1100, a Stoeger m2000, and a Tri-star (can't remember the model). I bought the 1100 7 years ago used from my buddy's grandpa and he said h that he bought it brand new in 1990 and as far as I know it's never had anything go wrong with it. I put over 2000 rounds through it a year. I love my Stoeger, it has yet to fail me, it gets mostly 3" mags shot through it and keeps on going. The Tri-star isn't bad but it is picky on what you shoot through it (mine is anyways). I had a Charles Daily 7 or 8 years ago and had all kinds of feeding and ejecting problems with it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A "standard" 1100 can use a 3" chambered bbl and shoot 2 3/4" and 3" magnum shells of steel shot (or 2 3/4" magnum lead).

If using a "Magnum" 1100 then they can run up to 3" magnum lead shells.

The difference is not in the receivers or recoil spring or bolt buffer..............it's the action sleeve and bbl gas ports.

Magnum guns run heavier sleeves and have a single gas port.

Back when I was in HS Remington even advertised buying a Magnum 1100 and getting a spare 2 3/4" bbl for regular hunting (as the 2 3/4" bbl had 2 gas ports and would cycle low brass field loads).

Funny, my two 1100 magnums would cycle AA trap loads just fine, but when hunting I opted for the super handicap or sporting clays versions that ran a little hotter, just in case (wicked dove rigs with 7.5's).

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have a FN SLP and I'm very happy with it, I had surgery on my wrist and can tell you that is a very soft recoiling shotgun and very reliable even with bulk ammo.

Top Bottom